Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Teatro la fenice - really so few operas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A slightly obscure query this one, but maybe someone will be able to help.

I'd love to see an opera at La Fenice and have been looking at their website to see whats on so that I can plan my next visit to Venice around this.

My question is, are they really only doing a few performances a month this autumn and nothing at all in September? Or do any fodorites have alternative sources of info on this?

It would be rather a waste of all that restoration work to then barely use the place, so I hope my reading of their schedule is wrong.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 03:43 PM

Papagena: You obviously came by your user name honestly. (It's mine on another site.)

As far as I can tell, La Fenice has not posted its 2005-2006 season, except for performances (according to the site, still in the 2004-2005 season...) between October 21 and 29, 2005, of something called "La Grande Duchesse de Gerolstein" with music by Jacques Offenbach.

For what it's worth: The theatre itself is a jewel (or was before the fire), but the one performance I saw, many years ago, of Puccini's "Manon Lescaut" was so bad, it was funny.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 05:52 PM

I'm not sure what (if anything) is happening in the theatre later this year - but they do now offer guided tours. There's nothing on their web site aobut this but when we were there in December there were daily guided tours (in various languages) which you book at the theatre. You do need to book ahead - even in mid December we needed to book 2 days ahead for an English language tour. The tours not only take you through the theatre, but also part of the backstage areas - rehersal rooms etc.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 07:06 PM

As eloise has said, the full schedule for 2005-06 has not yet been posted, but opera at La Fenice has for at least the past couple of years been rather sparce during September and October.
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the explanations - after reading them I emailed the address given on the La Fenice website to ask when the 2005/2006 season details would be released...and my email bounced straight back because the address wasn't recognised. (Is it possible to do a frustrated smilie on this site??). So I guess I'll just keep checking the website!
If nothing else I'll definitely book one of the tours of the house.