teacher discounts?

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 06:25 AM
last fling of summer

teacher discounts?

Do you know of any special discounts that a teacher (American) can claim from museums or hotels or other places in Italy?

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 06:47 AM
anon

There are discounts for students, pensioners, disabled, veterans, and unemployed, but I have never heard of discounts for teachers.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 09:21 AM
ew

You're off for the summer, that is your discount!

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Uncle Sam

ew,

Amen to that!

US

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 09:51 AM
xxx

Why do teachers think they are so entitled?
A lot of people work just as hard in other professions. I never see policemen or nurses ask for "special discounts"

I am with ew and Uncle Sam! Enjoy your 3 months off, while I enjoy my 2 weeks!

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 10:02 AM
Anne

The only teacher discounts I have heard of are for the museum pass in France. Doesn't mean they aren't out there... but that's the only one I've seen discussed.

I'm not even going to get into the teacher-bashing debate!!

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 10:14 AM
former teacher, Esq.

I think there are teacher discounts. I just don't know what they are since I'm not a teacher any more. You may be able to find out trhough NEA and other teacher orgs. By the way, when I WAS a teacher, I worked harder and longer than I have at any other job, and worked all evening every weekday, and most of the weekends. I also spent a lot of my own money (non-reimbursable) buying materials for my students. I also thought about it and did some prep during much of the summer. It's a lot easier being a lawyer now. Even if I don't get much vacation time, I just don't NEED it as badly.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 01:29 PM
Jen

Re: former teacher cheers!

I am teacher and have never had three months off -what a misconception. Why not ask about discounts? It doesn't hurt. Why should students get discounts or seniors or anyone? Geez. Lighten up on people.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 02:11 PM
carol

I remember reading in a guidebook many years ago, that if you want to deal the hotel down in price, you ask if they have a business or teacher discount. It is the way you discretely get a cheaper price even if you are not a teacher. I have not tried this. It might be an urban myth.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 03:41 PM
xox

Hey xxx--- and I bet you got paid for your 2 weeks vacation. Teachers don't even get paid holidays!!!

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 03:53 PM
Arnold

lfos is not asking what should or should not be - please be helpful if you can and focus on the question.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 04:36 PM
Uncle Sam

xox,

BS!

US

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 04:52 PM
Jim Rosenberg

I would second the suggestion to check with NEA or perhaps even your state association. As for the other commentary, my only observation would be that the very best teachers I had were those who had done, seen and experienced many things. Something that makes that more likely would seem to have value for more than just the teacher, as an individual. Moreover, teachers have inflexible schedules that frequently force them to travel at more crowded, expensive times of the year. It's no crime to try to find out about discounts, if they are out there.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 05:28 PM
CAGal

I'm an educator and also a student at a local community college, where I take PE classes for my own well-being. I have used the student ID card numerous times in Europe. I just walk into the museum or whatever and present it. I'm often given a discount after the person at the counter looks at me quizzically and asks, "You're a student?" I guess adult ed (I have some gray hairs) is not a familiar concept in Europe!

So one way to get a discount is to sign up for a class at your local college.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 05:37 PM
xox

I don't go out of my way to get discounts, but Uncle Sam's comment is confusing. Did he think WE (teachers) were paid for the summer months and Christmas, Thanksgiving, and other holidays that most other occupations get paid for without showing up for work?

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 05:51 PM
Uncle Sam

xox,

Of course you get paid for them. They are included in your overall compensation package.

For example, you may earn $40,000 for approximately 10 months work. Yet you get the holidays that most of us only dream about.

Now they may not specifically pay you for those particular days but you do get a salary that covers a certain amount of work for a certain amount of pay.

In addition, in the business world the standard American work year is 2080 hours. If your salary is $40,000 in the business world, then you make $19.23 per hour.

Teachers, on the other hand work approximately 10 months per year or 5/6 the business annual work hours. Therefore, the teachers work hours are 5/6 of 2080 or 1733. Therefore, the same $40,000 to a teacher equates to about $23.08 per hour.

Another way to look at it would be that if a teacher worked the full 2080 hours then they would make $49,006 per year.

Now, before you hit me with the old, "I work late hours and weekends grading papers etc.".....guess what so do virtually all exempt corporate employees and they do not get to take the Summer off, or have a nice long Christmas or Easter vacation even though we now call them "holidays" or Spring Break.

US

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 06:09 PM
xox

I enjoy my teaching career. No one forced me to sign that contract that states 180 days of work for $$$ salary. Even at your $23.08 that is less than a babysitter at $1.00 an hour for my 25-30 students. But they sure do get a whole lot more for their buck, in my opinion.
Hopefully "last fling" takes off for Europe soon before the summer vacation is over. Enjoy it and take all that info back to your students--encourage them to travel also--now THAT is an education.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 06:13 PM
Uncle Sam

xox,

No one said you shouldn't enjoy your teaching career. Congratulations, you may be one of the few people that really like what they do.

I was merely pointing out the fact that you do get paid for those days and on a annualized basis you get paid fairly well compared to the business world and you get the time off.

We need good teachers, I'm excited that you like your job, many teachers do not and it shows in their performance.

US

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Jen

$40,000????? I need to move!

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 08:26 PM
CAgal

I live in the SF Bay area. Starting teachers in my district make about $43K/year. The median house in my district costs about $500K. Why on earth would anyone ever want to be a teacher unless he or she love kids?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information