Tea in London for one? Can it be done?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in London on business in a few weeks and want to "take Tea" but I'll be alone. Any suggestions on places to go to truly experience this? Since I am American, and Texan at that, I reckon that the idea may be more romantic than the reality but I still want to do it once while in London.
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 08:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There have been several threads about this. It doesn't matter that's there's only one of you. I like the Orangerie in Kensington Park, but some people swear by the posher (and more expensive) hotels.
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 08:37 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>Since I am American, and Texan at that, I reckon that the idea may be more romantic than the reality but I still want to do it once while in London.</i>"

tea isn't 'romantic'. It is a nice way to have an afternoon meal. Why would you think being solo would be an issue?

You can take tea anywhere form the Orangery in Kensington Gardens to the Ritz, and anything in between. Even all the upscale department stores do lovely afternoon teas.

If you want to go to one of the posh hotels you'll want to book in advance.
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks thursdaysd! I'll look for those other threads too
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 08:38 PM

annie....why not? Do it. You'll be treated cordially wherever you go. Fortnum and Mason is a good bet and relatively reasonable....Thursdaysd travels the world solo and if she says its OK, better believe.
stu
stu
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Original Poster

@janisj...LOL. From where I am the idea of sitting down for English tea time IS romantic...you must be from there or a frequent traveler. ;-)
Thanks for the tip. As for being solo...i have no idea...had the impression somehow that at least two were preferred. Glad to know i was mistaken.
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 08:47 PM

annie: I missed seeing janisj's vote...but add that to my comments on Thursdaysd...you've got a green light to go ahead from some very seasoned travelers....so enjoy taking tea in London.

annie: I missed seeing janisj's vote...but add that to my comments on Thursdaysd...you've got a green light to go ahead from some very seasoned travelers....so enjoy taking tea in London.

Sure it's ok. I did it all the time. I usually went to The Wolseley for tea as it's a lively place with a contemporary vibe. If you go there, ask to be seated in the "inner horseshoe" - it's where the best tables are. F&M is also a good rec.
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks tower and FoFoBT! Will do. Other threads that thursdaysd pointed me too also praise The Wolseley. Thanks all.
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 11:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We had afternoon tea at the Ritz, it was a gift from friends and we enjoyed it a lot more than we thought we would. I thought it might be very pretentious with snobby waiters but everyone was very friendly, there was lots to eat and everyone was there to have a good time. The room was beautiful and even the ladies loo was so glamorous I wanted to take a photo.

We had to book about 4 weeks in advance to get a table. Their website has all the details, it's horribly expensive for what you get but a nice experience to look back on.

Kay
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 03:34 AM
JBX

May have already pulled this thread re: other tea & restaurant suggestions .........
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ts-and-tea.cfm

AND, of course don't forget to wear your best fascinator !! (Should the royals extend an invite --- LOL.)

http://www.thelondonword.com/2011/07...ith-the-queen/

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Ok the best spots were The Ruben and 41 hotels. Yum! Also had a great time at Cassandra's Tea Rooms in Chawton across from Jane Austen's house & museum. The Wolseley was ok but not great. Loud & service was slow.
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 02:34 PM

For The Real Thing (rather like something out of a contemporary Agatha Christie novel), head to Brown's Hotel. The ambiance is wonderful, as is the food--and most importantly, the tea itself.

Another possibility would be Harrod's.