Tea in London... Ritz or Claridge?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I botched up the last message I wrote before... lol.. sorry... was trying to ask, which hotel in the london area is best to have some tea? how much is it? and are other hotels better than the ones I mentioned?
Thanks...
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 09:24 AM
ira

Hi M,

Folks here are of mixed opinion about whether and where to splurge on afternoon tea.

If you ggogle "London afternoon tea", you'll get lots of info.

Old Jul 20th, 2006, 09:38 AM
AllyPally

Personally, if I was going to do tea in London, I would go to Claridges. It will cost a small fortune (£25+ each) but you will get A LOT of food and drink. The other the benefit is that the interior of the hotel is absolutely gorgeous. Another place worth mentioning, although it's not a "high tea" kind of place, is The Wolseley on Piccadilly. The interior is stunning and they serve a good menu of European classics.

Although someone said that English people don't do tea (which is true), as a nice thing to do whilst visting London, it cannot be beat. (I'm a bit of a bottle of rosé in Hyde Park kind of girl). Bear in mind that you will need to book well in advance. You can book by email on the Claridges website

Old Jul 20th, 2006, 09:48 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
see my post on your other thread . . . . .
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 10:00 AM

I can only comment on Claridge's. We went for Sunday afternoon "Champagne tea" (I"'m sure most British would be horrified). Loved every minute of it. A glass of champagne first, tea and sandwiches after, followed by scones, jams and cream. Expensive yes, but worth it for us. Claridge's is beautiful and the service impeccable.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 10:17 AM

I agree with most readers here - Claridge's is the tops! VERY elegant, and if you go to their website, you'll get the low-down on the experience, what you can expect cost-wise, etc.

Have fun and remember to raise you pinky when drinking your tea. <wink>

Anne Marie

AcrossThePondTours.com
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 11:04 AM

Two years agao we had tea at Brown's Hotel, a very old hotel, and a traditional (read expensive) and delicious tea, with some other tourists but also businessmen. It's small and lovely. We also had tea at Fornum & Mason--divine tea!--and the kids had ice cream. This was a less formal atmosphere but still a nice room, and you can purchase tea to take home. Tea at the Liberty store was good too--slightly less expensive and formal, but also a neat place. The store itself is beautiful. I love tea so it was heavenly!
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 12:25 PM

Well, the Ritz is...ritzy. The setting, in the palm court, is beautiful, and the over-all feel is elegant. You will want to dress up if you go there. The actual tea--we've been there twice--was excellent, and the background music was quite pleasant. Very Edwardian over-all.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 01:01 PM

I enjoy tea in hotels, including the Savoy but thoroughly liked the few I've had in Harrod's Georgian room for 19.95 GBP.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 01:07 PM

Please check out this review section...I had heard of the Orangery as the place to go...this site reviews many..hope it is helpful!

http://www.londontown.com/London/Afternoon_Tea_Time/
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 01:37 PM

Here's another resource.
http://www.elegant-lifestyle.com/afternoon-teas.htm
I had tea at Claridges and thought it was spectacular. Great Chihuly chandelier!
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 01:42 PM

As has been noted, afternoon tea is not really a tradition for Londoner's as such, it's just as much of a "treat" for them as it will be for you.

I do not see the virtue in paying for something that could be equally well done at home. The patisserie can all be purchased, as can sandwiches, from shops, and you could sit in one of London's parks and have an exquisite picnic. Granted, you don't have the setting or the service, but 3-6pm in the afternoon is a depressing time.

As for the venue, both are good properties, I prefer Claridge's as it has no dress code, and as such is more relaxed. But if you really want something special, go for dinner in one of these hotels, and have a nightcap into the small hours - the fumoir at Claridge's is an intimate venue, perfect for a cognac and cigar...or just some more champagne!
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 02:29 PM

The Dorchester is wonderful for afternoon tea. Everything was perfect and so delicious.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Neopolitan

"I do not see the virtue in paying for something that could be equally well done at home."

Huh? Most of us don't have the same atmosphere at home or a staff of servants waiting to serve us like they have at Claridge's or The Ritz, so I don't understand how that comment makes any sense -- particularly the "equally well done at home" part of the comment.

Was the above comment really made by the same person who often raves about having a drink at the bar at Claridge's? Couldn't you have that drink at home much cheaper also? I fail to see why that is so different from a relaxing tea in wonderful surroundings.

Old Jul 20th, 2006, 03:38 PM

A cocktail is a completely different matter. Tea is merely something preprepared and plated, a cocktail has to be mixed, and is served with assorted "nibbles" which at Claridge's are things one cannot buy (parmesan tuile biscuits etc) from the shops.

As for the atmosphere and service, of course one cannot recreate that at home, but I am suggesting dinner instead - something that only a professional chef can create, and you get all the atmosphere and service element too!
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 03:54 PM

Is the tea really prepared? And just sitting around and stewing?
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 04:51 PM

As an alternative to afternoon tea at Claridge's, have you considered a weekend lunch at Gordon Ramsay's restaurant at Claridge's instead?

I was there a few weeks ago on a Sunday afternoon. Set menu was 40GBP for an excellent 3-course lunch (wine extra of course) and it as a wonderful experience. Superb food, stellar service, delightful dining room. Not sure if the set lunch is the same price during the week.

Regards Ger
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 08:22 AM

I forgot to mention tea at the Orangery at Kensington Palace--an open, light-filled, elegant room and delicious tea and treats too. We were there in June 04 for Father's Day. It's special.
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 06:08 AM

Tea at the Savoy is a wonderful experience! The room is right out of a Fred Astaire / Ginger Rogers movie. The sandwiches and cakes are delicious and they replace them as much as you like. I done it many times and highly recommend it.
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 02:24 PM

I have always enjoyed The Orangery and stop in for tea and cake whenever I'm in London. However it is not in the same league as either Claridges or The Ritz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -