Notices

Tea for two

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Debby

Tea for two

Looking for a nice place to have afternoon tea with my 9 year old daughter in London.
Something with lots of atmosphere that will hopefully be a memorable occasion. Any Suggestions?

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 08:52 AM
kate

Browns
Selfridges
The Orangerie

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 09:02 AM
Teresa

The Dorchester Hotel in London was my best afternoon tea. I've been in London often and it was the best I ever had. The do famous Savoy was something to forget.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Rebecka

Sorry, Teresa, but I can't agree with you about the Savoy. I have been to afternoon tea at the Ritz, Harrods, and Fortnum & Mason's so far, but the Savoy's afternoon tea was the nicest, although they were all good to excellent. Plush armchairs, excellent tea and everything tasted delicious. The courteous waiter even gave us additional scones! Of course, this was 11 years ago - I hope they haven't gone downhill since then. The Ritz was definitely the poshest of the lot. Great place for atmosphere, although I understand that you have to make reservations well in advance.

On my next visit I think I'll try Brown's and maybe the Orangerie. The Dorchester sounds like it's worth a try too.

Enjoy, Debby!

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 10:31 AM
Teresa

Rebecka, unfortunately it seems in 11 years many things change. I stayed in the Savoy last November and all I can say is that the hotel is so decadent it really disappointed me. Rooms, service, it was more like a 3 star hotel. Some 3 star hotels are even better. And the scones I had were dull, cold, the cookies were something awful too.
The Savoy used to be a good hotel, but not anymore. It has to go through a great renovation if it wants to get the old glamour back.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 11:26 AM
kam

Best place for tea---Brown's Hotel. She'll love it! Dress for the occasion.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 04:56 PM
Virginia

Another vote for Browns. Tradition without being overly stuffy or la-di-da.

V.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 04:44 AM
elaine

Another vote for the Dorchester, absolutely memorable