Taxis in Paris- Tip?

Dec 1st, 2000, 01:06 PM
Jane

Taxis in Paris- Tip?

What do you tip taxi drivers in Paris? I understand you only leave small change for waiters/waitresses. What % do taxi drivers expect? How about the airport shuttle driver?

Dec 1st, 2000, 02:33 PM
Art

A lot of restaurants will add gratuity on the bill. In those cases leave a little depending on the service. Taxi and airport shuttles do not include gratuity, so plan on a little more again depending on the level of service.

Dec 1st, 2000, 04:37 PM
Josh

10-15% for taxi drivers in Paris. About ten francs on top of the bill for good service at an average restaurant-more for good restaurants, less for bars. Airport shuttles I would guess get the same as taxi drivers unless they have several groups of passengers, then figure accordingly.

Dec 4th, 2000, 05:24 AM
elaine

Jane
just to clarify
At restaurants, by law, service charges will be included in the final bill.
When you look at the menu (carte)
the prices quoted for the various dishes
or for the fixed price meal will either be "service compris" (included) or
"non compris" (not included). HOwever, either way your final bill will include the service charge.
The additional small amount that you may want to leave is just an extra little
bonus for good service and an enjoyable meal. Don't add that onto a credit card charge, in fact, don't write anything under the "service" or "gratuite" section of your credit card slip because, again, the service charge is already part of the total.

Dec 4th, 2000, 06:14 AM
meg

REMEMBER: You can really only get a taxi in Paris if you are standing under a big blue sign marked with a "T". You can't just stand on the corner, wave your arm, and expect a taxi to stop for you like they do in NY or Chicago. We learned that the hard way!

Also, inside a certain zone, there is a 30 franc minimum. Seems to me like I also saw a chart posted inside the taxi with rates and suggested tips.

Dec 4th, 2000, 10:56 AM
Jane

Thanks for the info. These are the little things that can make you a bit uncomfortable at first if you don't know them. Like exactly where to stand to get a cab - I haven't read that anywhere. Also, not adding the tip on the visa - I wouldn't have thought of that. Many thanks.

Dec 4th, 2000, 11:02 AM
elaine

here's a little more information
Taxis are available at all air terminals, train stations, and at designated taxi stands within Paris. A taxi stand on the street has a blue sign with the picture of a taxi on it. Within Paris, a taxi is available if its small white roof light is on. A taxi is occupied if its small orange light is on, and it is off-duty if it has no light on. There are additional charges for luggage, and night trips. Most taxis won't take more than three passengers. Larger taxis have higher charges. If your hotel calls one for you, there is a surcharge on the fare.

http://perso.club-internet.fr/podvin...s/taxiarrt.htm
or, http://paris-anglo.com/guide/travel/...is_stands.html
taxi stands in Paris

www.ehow.com/eHow/eHow/0,1053,13665,
FF.html
how to hail a taxi and pay the fare

http://infotaxiparis.free.fr/pages_uk/
uk_presentation.htm
everything you wanted to know about Paris taxis

Dec 4th, 2000, 05:05 PM
pierre

It's kindof funny, but I bet all those people who say not to tip in Paris are the same ones who say that Parisians and the French are rude. If you want to experience rude waiters or taxi drivers or anyone else, then don't tip.
Service compris is not the same as tip. A tip goes to the waiter, service goes to the restaurant. If your waiter has done a good job, then tip him for it.

Dec 5th, 2000, 04:08 AM
Bob

It is correct that the service charge is on your bill, so anything you leave is extra. On a taxi bill the tip is small a 'keep the change' kind of deal, unless its a large bill like 300f to the airport then tip 10% to 15%. Rule of thumb tip 10% if taxi bill is over 100f.

Dec 5th, 2000, 05:52 AM
Jane

Pierre - are you saying that I should give the waiter more than loose change if he or she has done a good job - say 10%? Is leaving less insulting? I'm talking about service for a meal - not necessarily if I've just stopped at a cafe for a hot chocolate .

Dec 5th, 2000, 06:30 AM
elaine

Jane
The extra, which is purely optional, could be 5 or 10 or 20 FF in a cafe or moderately-priced restaurant, depending on how many of you there are and how you feel. In a top of the line, formal restaurant where they might prepare food at tableside or offer an extra dessert or some other extra service, you could leave 5-10% of your total bill, but that would be a special exception.