Taxi, shuttle or RER?

Feb 10th, 2001, 08:25 AM
s.fowler

Taxi, shuttle or RER?

I posted this under another thread with no response so far. So here goes

Last three trips to Paris I have taken the RER, a taxi and the Paris Shuttle. This time there will be three of us and maybe 4. I have a faint memory that Parisian taxis will not take 4 people. [Luggage isn't an issue. I have these people TRAINED.] We're staying on Line 8 [near rue Cler] so RER isn't real convenient. So advice dear fodorites?

Feb 10th, 2001, 08:32 AM
greg

We have taken taxi in Paris with 4 passengers. I am not sure under what circumstances they do it, perhaps because we were a family with children (not small, but teenagers)? It was obvious that they do not do this as a practice. Everytime we rode the taxi, the driver had to clear the front seat full of all kinds of junk, with "do I had to do this?" face. I had to sit on top of bread crumbs from his past lunches... There was an extra charge for the 4th passenger.

Feb 10th, 2001, 08:57 AM
Fred

Take a taxi. Now there are larger taxi's that will take 4 - just make your wishes known when you get to the front of the line. Be sure they're the taxi's with "Taxi Parisien" on the roof.
[email protected]

Feb 10th, 2001, 09:10 AM
Art

We took the shuttle when in Paris last Sept. It was fine, took us to the hotel door. Picked us up the morning we left. They were at the Airport to meet us. We called their 800 number (no change needed) BEFORE we got our luggage. They then told us which door to exit for them. We got som FF from the ATM and paid the driver when we got to the hotel. There was a thread a few weeks ago from someone who had had a bad experiance, but most people that have used it have been very pleased with it.

Feb 10th, 2001, 09:26 AM
s.fowler

Thanks folks for such quick and good advice! I am one of those with no complaints about the shuttle, but I want to make the decision with the most information I can. Thanks!

Feb 10th, 2001, 07:37 PM
Bob Brown

If there are 4 of you going to the same hotel, chances are that you will get there early in the ride.
Last year, we were on the van with 3 independent passengers. We came to our hotel in the 14th (edge of 6th) by way of La Defense.
Scenic ride, but I was ready for my hotel and not the far right bank of the Seine.