TAXI OR SHUTTLE?

Search

TAXI OR SHUTTLE?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2007, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TAXI OR SHUTTLE?

What is more cost effective from CDG airport to hotel? Taxi or shuttle? I can get a shuttle 36euro for two but will it take me an hour to get to the hotel? what is the average price of a taxi to the Latin Quarter from CDG?
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 08:48 AM

With no traffic, the taxi cost me about 50E's...when there was traffic in the early AM when east coast USA plains arrive...it was 90Es.

So now I take the AirFrance bus (about 12E's) and then a cab (about 10E's).

Old Oct 31st, 2007, 08:52 AM
ira

Hi S,

Shuttle will be less than a taxi.

It takes no less than 1/2 hr to get to your hotel no matter how you go.

Is there a major rush?

Old Oct 31st, 2007, 09:08 AM

It probably will take you an hour, if not more, but it's going to take you about 40-60 minutes to get there even if you take a taxi. I often take a taxi to the Left Bank, often Montparnasse, and it usually costs me around 45 euro. I take taxis a lot in the morning, in fact, that's always when I arrive, and that's when I am charged around 45 euro. I usually don't go into town until around 9-10 am, though.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 09:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
We have used "Paris Shuttle" many times. Very efficient service for a reasonable price.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 09:49 AM

Just a reminder that if cost effectiveness is the goal, there is the RER (not affected by traffic), Air France bus, and Roissybus. All would be cheaper than taxi/shuttle.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses, it sounds like the shuttle is the way to go.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 11:25 AM

Although I always thought the RER would be a hassle, this summer we walked about a block from our apt in the 5th to the Cluny stop -- entered by going down about 10 steps, then took the flat hallway and escalators to the RER. We got seats at the end of the car with space for our luggage. Arrival at CDG was simple and no steps. Total time was exactly 37 minutes!

I'd do it again -- and in reverse.
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 02:00 PM

Patrick, this April we will be staying in an apartment you've often mentioned, the one next to the Ste. Severin Church. There will be 4 of us, all adults (friends are staying in a different apartment).

Thinking ahead, about the day of departure to CDG, is the way you described above the best way to get to the RER station? For some reason I was thinking the apartment was closer to the St-Michel stop.

Thank you.
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 02:20 PM

The apartment is almost the same distance to the St. Michel stop, but much more complicated, more stairs, and more crowds to deal with to get down to the RER. Going to the Cluny station is easier, with only a few steps just inside the entrance, then long straight corridor and an escalator directly to the RER platform.

So you do mean only 2 of you are in the apartment I rent -- not 4?
Hope you like it as much as we have.
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 02:32 PM

Patrick, thank you for that clarification of the two different stations.

And yes, it is just the 2 of us in the apartment. Our friends have rented a different one close by.

It sure looks like a lovely place to stay. The agency and the owners have been very accommodating and helpful and especially prompt in their correspondence with me. I just know we will love it!

Thank you for your recommendation.
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 07:03 PM

Yes, the Cluny station is the best. I've been getting to the 6th and back to the airport by going through that station for years. I then take Line 10 into the 6th. There's the escalator at the Cluny station...just pray it's not out of order which I have experienced a couple of times. Happy Travels!
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Pinchme_iam_dreaming

We used PARIS-SHUTTLE. 79 Euro for 2 round trip CDG-3rd arr.. 3rd arr-ORY
The ride to our hotel took about 40 minutes on a Tuesday at 11:00am. To ORY on a sunday at 7:00am.. 20 minutes.

Old Feb 12th, 2008, 06:28 AM

I'll just jump on this topic, but different airport.

My family and I (4 adults) will be flying into Orly airport at 10am on thursday Feb21 . I'm not sure what option is more convenient and cost effective, considering one of the people is my 75 year old mother, although she's in pretty good shape and won't have to carry heavy luggage. We are staying at the Opera Cadet hotel, just by the Cadet metro station.

I was thinking of taking a taxi, but i'm worried about the traffic. maybe a shuttle will end up being cheaper?

Air France gets me to Invalides, maybe a taxi from there? How easy would that be?

The other option is bus from Orly to Villejuif or something like that, which is the end of metro line 7 that would take me to the Cadet stop. What concerns me about this one is the possibility of stairs, etc. in the metro stops plus the inconvenience of changing and the long underground trip being too much for my mom -a bit claustrophobic-.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 05:35 PM

I don't think I've ever paid more than 25 euro for a taxi from Orly to central Paris (though admittedly on the south side of the Seine). The traffice from Invalides to Opera would be the worst. If taking a taxi for that part, I'd honestly just take a taxi the whole way, especially with a 75 year young mother.
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 05:53 PM

Your mother is 75 give her a break and take the taxi( LOL) , much much easier, and for four of you it IS cost effective.

For one or two persons the RER is most cost effective, then shuttle( which I have never taken as I do not trust them, either you wait for them, or they wait for you, and they often have to drop other people off first so you sit and sit) and lastly taxi, but, for 3 or more people a taxi is a good deal.

Old Feb 14th, 2008, 11:45 AM

Great! I was almost decided for the taxi, but was afraid we would end up getting stuck into traffic for 2 hours and 80+euros. They insist on keeping the budget low, although I'm Miss Taxi myself...

And yes, it would be nicer for my mom, though she is in great shape, living in a house with lots of stairs and going up and down like crazy!

Thanks for your replies!

Old Feb 14th, 2008, 02:11 PM

Hello NeoPatrick--

I don't see an RER B stop at Cluny on any of the maps/lists I have looked at. Are you able to get to the same RER stop from either the Cluny or the StM-ND Metro entrances?
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 05:20 PM

You get off the RER at St. Michel/ND (?)...and then there will be a very steep escalator. You take the escalator up to the top and then will walk through a tunnel-looking corridor and when you come out, immediatedly to your LEFT will be the entrance to the Metro. You will still be underground. Then you'll see the Cluny metro. Happy Travels!
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 08:08 PM

My Taxi experience in Paris is that they frequently refuse to take 4 passengers at a time. The Air France Bus is very easy to use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -