taxi in Moscow, St. Pete?

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 04:43 PM
Eileen

taxi in Moscow, St. Pete?

I am flying in to Moscow this coming September. Should I arrange for a transfer from the airport to the hotel - or should I just take any available taxi? I've heard that taking a taxi in Moscow is risky. Any suggestions?

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 04:52 PM
Brain Trust

topping a legitimate question which deserves to be answered

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 05:26 PM
Lady Jane

I hope you get a more authoritative answer, but in the meantime here is mine: when I went to St Petersburg in 1998, the information I gathered strongly suggested that it was not wise to take just any taxi. This is also always the opinion of my good friend in Poland when I visit her there (in Carcow), she will only "allow" me to use a driver she knows.
So I do not believe that taxi drivers in Eastern Europe can be assumed to be "safe" as they can in western capitals where they are licensed and onitored by the states.
So--I took taxis arranged for by my hotel, and suggest you do the same unless someone who knows more tells you different.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 06:08 PM
Rich

In Moscow, most of the hotels can arrange transportation or will have their own shuttles. Same in St. Pete.

Where are you staying?

Rich

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 06:54 PM
Marc David Miller

Ask for a transfer in advance-the cabs at SVO are notoriously overpriced.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 11:09 PM
ana

I would suggest arranging transfer with the hotel you are staying with. I am from Moscow and I don't feel very comforable getting a taxi at Sheremetievo. Serch the internet and see if there are any companies offering an airport-hotel transfers first.Then see what price you can get from your hotel. You might end up paying a little more but why subject yourself to unnecessary risks? It should't be that expensive in any case.
Have fun on your trip!

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 12:44 PM
Andy

We just returned from Moscow/St. Pete's I agree with the other folks who responded. Make arrangements ahead of time with your hotel. They can really stick you at the airport. When in the city you will have to barter with the drivers. I was asked for $20 for about a 4 mile trip. He settled for $8. They all drive like maniacs in Moscow. Hang on!