Reload this Page >

Taxi - Heathrow to Central London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 06:16 AM
Sunny

Does anyone know how much a taxi is from Heathrow to Central London? We were quoted 49 pounds from Ray for 3 people, if we have more than 3 bags. He says the cars are smaller than US cars. I was prepared to pay 29 pounds as posted for 3 people on his site.<BR>Is 49 pounds still less than a taxi?.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 06:33 AM
Gerry K

Why not take the Heathrow Express? It's blazing fast (15 mins.) with lots of accommodation for luggage.<BR><BR>GK

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 06:39 AM
Kate

I used to get a black cab (TAXI) from LHR to Vauxhall(SE11) and it used to cost me &pound;44 (we are talking 2 years ago!)<BR><BR>The thing with the Heathrow express is that is still costs &pound;20 RETURN.(&pound;3 off if booked on line at the moment)<BR><BR>website:www.heathrowexpress.co.uk<B R><BR>what about the tube - from LHR the tube will be empty so you will get seats - where are you going to?<BR>

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 06:43 AM
kate

thats &pound;20 return - &pound;11 single!!

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 06:50 AM
Sunny

We're going to Knightsbridge Green Hotel. We are 3 females with luggage. Please don't give me lectures on downsizing the luggage. My daughters don't know how, and after many trips to Europe, it seems neither do I. We don't want to have to mess with trains or buses. Thanks.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 07:36 AM
elaine

Sunny<BR>I'll bet in the general information section of your London guidebook<BR>there's information about the approximate taxi fare from Heathrow.<BR>Almost every guidebook has an entry with a title along the lines of<BR>Traveling from the Airport or some such.<BR><BR>49 pounds for the car service is a bit higher than a taxi, but the driver should be meeting you inside the terminal, assisting you with luggage, and you will be avoiding any line up for taxis.<BR><BR>Otherwise, the Heathrow Express is a compromise in price and convenience between taking the Underground or taking a taxi. That idea includes taking a taxi from Paddington Station to your hotel. But you will need three train tickets.<BR><BR>With three of you, just take the car service if you can afford it. If you can't, cut way down on your luggage and take the Tube.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 07:52 AM
Lori

Hi Sunny,<BR>I just looked at the website and it says 44 pounds for 3 people with more then 3 bags, the extra 5 pounds is what is called waiting charges (basically it is parking at Heathrow-in the garage). If you were taking less luggage you could get the 29 pound (plus waiting fee). That fee seems to be applicable for 3 people as well if they have 3 pieces of luggage combined. That is how I read it anyway. Cars are smaller, and I would imagine they would use a van for the 3 of you with your extra luggage.<BR>I understand about not taking less luggage, I overpack too. It's really easier to use a driver service tho then trains, tube. A regular taxi is not a flat fee, so if you get stuck in traffic it can really jump up (over 60 pounds I have heard) With the 3 of you I think it is still cheaper to take the pick up service and very convenient as the driver will help with the luggage both at Heathrow and at your hotel.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 08:16 AM
kate

I agree with Lori. I am sure other people have posted about other car services - see if you can find the posts and compare prices. Fixed price will prabably be better and cheaper.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 08:28 AM
Red

I definitely agree with getting a car service or limo. Regular taxis are small and your luggage is in the back seat with you on the floor. Two of us with two carry-on bags filled it up. I would definitely pass on a regular taxi unless you take the Heathrow Express to the Paddington Station and then take two taxis from there to your hotel.<BR><BR>The Heathrow Express is really nice and there is lots of room for luggage but at 12 pounds a piece for a ticket, you might be better off with a car service.<BR><BR>DO NOT take the underground with any luggage!!! There are turnstiles, stairs, and lots of people. You'll really regret it.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 08:41 AM
zee

I just arrived from london yesterday and I had the same questions before I left. We ended up taking the tube into london, took just 50 minutes. It was not hard, we had each one luggage and a carryon. It also depends what day you travel we got in on Sunday so it was not as busy. If your going into the city at peak times I would not recommend it. There are escalators and some stairs.Very easy to do the tube. So if you don't mind moving your own luggage do it. We found seats but most times I didn't want to sit so it is kind of what your own personal perferences are.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 08:49 AM
mari

Here is a recommendation for a London car service company called 'Speed Transfer', tel: 208-691-3400. Friend of mine has been using them for years. Think their current price is around 30 pounds per car. I recently used the Express, but we were only carrying one bag each.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Sunny

Thanks everyone for your suggestions; I guess I'll just splurge & take the service. I've gotten several quotes from several car services, & they are all within 5 pounds of each other.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 11:55 AM
john

I just took a cab from Kensington, London to Heathrow yesterday. It cost me 35 pound. They are ripping you off.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 01:12 PM
amy

It seems high if Ray is a mini-cab. I live 1 mile from Knightsbridge and I've paid 48-50 pounds from LHR, but if you book an actual mini-cab, which is typically a sedan, it shouldn't be more than 30 pounds. <BR><BR>Try this number if you'd like the mini-cab option: 011.44.207701.4321.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 01:13 PM
amy

Meant to say I've paid 48-50 for a black cab.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 06:43 AM
Costanza

I can suggest to book with Simply Airports and you would not be spending more than &pound;20 to go to central London<BR>The telephone number is +44 (0)20 7701 4321.<BR>They are very professional and reliable. You can book the taxi in advance or call for them on arrival<BR>They are just great, I have used them many times