Tax free shopping in Paris

Oct 18th, 2002, 10:09 AM
Ralph

Tax free shopping in Paris

Just arrived from Paris.

For the tax-free shopping (detaxe) you need to get the form stamped at the airport before you leave, but they had just ONE person to check the forms, inspect the merchandise and stamp the form. It took us about one hour to get this done. Make sure you plan for one hour to do this, but at 12%, it is well worth the effort.

Oct 18th, 2002, 10:14 AM
SiD

Don't you have to spend excess of $175+ in one store to get the tax refund?!!?!?

Oct 18th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Linda

To claim the detaxe you had to spend about 1200FF in one spot. At Galeries Layfayette they have a whole area with translators where they do the complete thing for you. My experience was that I purchased some expensive clothing for my husband in Cannes; the store filled out the form which included passport information and I was asked how I wanted the refund(Ihad been advised to ask for a VISA refund rather than a cheque). The refund did come but it took about 3 months so hang onto the paperwork. At the airport I presented the papers to be stamped, they did not ask to see the merchandise (even though I had it right there) and then they told me to drop it right into the mailbox at the airport. I flew on a Cnd charter.. Air Transat..which flew from T9 at CDG and there was no line or wait at all. One store in Paris where I spent quite a bit on models for my son did not offer the tax rebate; not all stores do.

Oct 18th, 2002, 01:32 PM
Christina

You have to spend at least 183 euro in one place, and some things don't count (like food, tobacco, antiques).

Oct 18th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Euro

Linda,
The FF is not a terribly useful reference since the Euro was instituted earlier this year. I think the purchase amount to qualify for VAT refund is around $200 Euro. You can claim this refund for any purchase of that amount or higher whether the store prepares your paperwork or not.

Oct 18th, 2002, 01:37 PM
Sue

In May we walked right up to detaxe person and got processed in a few minutes;it's variable but do agree with Ralph to allow an hour.

Oct 18th, 2002, 01:38 PM
Euro

Christina is right, some items do not qualify, so I amend myself to say that for merchandise that DOES qualify, you can claim your refund whether the store prepares the paperwork or not!

Oct 19th, 2002, 03:40 PM
Ralph

The minimum amount to qualify for tax refunds at Printemps is 175.00 Euros per day. I am not sure if it is their policy or if it is the law. They have approx. seven locations inside the store where you can do your detaxe paperwork and they were very courteous. But beware: they asked for my passport at the store, and I had to go back to the hotel to get it...

Oct 19th, 2002, 03:56 PM
cl

Just returned from Paris yesterday and the minimum is 175 euro at Galeries Lafayette. However, this is different, but there is a 10% discount coupon that's offered to visitors. When I asked the person at their information desk she had me walk over and ask their Welcome Desk for it, but the rep. said the hotel has to give it to you. Don't ask me why I was told to go to the Welcome Desk-so hard for them to give a 10% discount. Anyway, La Samaritane gives a 10% coupon that is found on one of those plans de Paris. That's more convenient as the cashier just give a flat 10% discount when you pay and you can use the coupon continuously as they don't keep it. Plus they don't bother to ask you for ID as they can tell you're a tourist.

Oct 19th, 2002, 04:33 PM
ParisMaven

cl: That same 10% discount coupon for Galeries Lafayette has always been on the plan de Paris that is available at hotels.

Oct 19th, 2002, 04:39 PM
cl

In the past our hotels did have the plans de Paris with the GL discount coupons, you're correct. However, our hotel gave us the current plan de Paris with GL advertising itself but NO coupon attached now. Could it be that this coupon is distributed separately these days?

Oct 19th, 2002, 06:17 PM
Christina

I saw somewhere that the amount was 183 euro, but I think 175 euro is correct (I see Galeries Lafayette has that amount on their web site -- I wonder if that varies a little bit by site?). They seem to change their web site a lot because not very long ago, I think they had a place on their web site where you could send them an email and they would mail you a map and that 10 pct discount coupon, and now that seems to be gone. I think you did used to be able to get it just at the Welcome Desk, also. I wonder if that rep was right in not giving it out.

Well, I have a copy of the latest magazine put out by the French Govt Tourist Office and Galeries Lafayette has an ad in it that says you can email or fax your request to them at:

[email protected]
or FAX 33-1-42-82-80-18
to receive a Paris map, the 10 pct discount card (and you can make reservations for their fashion shows, also, if you want). YOu are supposed to mention the reference "France Guide" in that request. (that is the name of the magazine)