Tarquinia - treno?

Jul 14th, 2003, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Tarquinia - treno?

Is this Etruscan town easily accessible via train? I will be in Roma mid-August and found a Trenitalia connection from Roma Termini to Tarquinia but wondered if it would be better to take a tour bus or regular bus out there compared to the train? Has anyone taken the train out there and how far would it be to walk to the ancient ruins? Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help.
Jul 14th, 2003, 02:16 PM
GAC

I just came back from Tarquinia and went there from (and back to) Rome by train. The train takes about 1.25 hrs. from Rome Termini (with stops at Rome Ostiense, Rome Trastevere and Rome San Pietro), and there are frequent services. There is a local bus (60 cents, purchase ticket from driver) right outside the Tarquinia Station which goes into town and usually coincides with train arrivals/departures (don't delay, as it leaves quite promptly). You should purchase the train ticket round trip if you return on a Sunday, as the Tarquinia station is manned Monday through Saturday (Friday??) only. The local bus leaves you at the southern city gate (Barriera San Giusto), from where it's a 25 minute walk to the Etruscan Necropolis and a 2 minute walk to the Archeological Museum in adjacent Piazza Cavour (visible from the bus stop). Don't walk to the Necropolis between the hours of 10:30 am and 6 pm, as it's much too hot during the summer months (and taxis are hard to come by). Bus service from Rome usually requires a connection in Civitavecchia, and is much slower than the train. A bus tour out of Rome would be recommendable for elderly or physically challenged travelers. Bottom line: Tarquinia is indeed easily accessible via train from Rome.
Jul 14th, 2003, 02:19 PM
Intrepid

You can travel from Rome Termini withoutn changes in as little as one hour and 24 minutes depending on the train you choose. Others can probably tell you whether or not it is easier to take a tour (bus).

Jul 14th, 2003, 02:40 PM

This is a trip report I saved from rec.travel.europe that might be of interest. Regards, Walter

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm....princeton.edu
Jul 14th, 2003, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the very helpful information (esp GAC). Based on your collective input, I will take a Roma-Tarquinia train and will be traveling mid-week. I hope to start out early enough in the morning, but think the heat will be generally unavoidable! However, I am looking forward to the sojourn to this ancient site. Thanks again~