tarascon -- quiet or boring?

May 31st, 2002, 12:34 PM
faile626

tarascon -- quiet or boring?

i've read old posts debating which town to base oneself in when visiting southern france/provence, however i would love a little more insight into tarascon. it sounds like a quiet yet interesting town in the center of most sights i am keen to visit (roman ruins). i adore tiny, windy walkways (i love the closes of edinburgh) and minimal traffic, and i don't desire a hoppin' nightlife. just a place to drink and listen to local music....

i know! who doesn't?

any experiences staying in tarascon for a 4-day provence tour? we will spend the first bit of our trip exploring the wild languedoc region.

thank you in advance.

May 31st, 2002, 01:08 PM
sharon

My husband and I spent 10 days in Beaucaire, just across the river from Tarascon. Beaucaire I can't recommend although we had a great house for 95.00 a night, but Tarascon was much nicer.
If you plan on spending time exploring it makes a good base, quiet and peaceful, less expensive than other areas and convenient to most. Nice castle there as well. I can't speak to the availability of music but we had a fabulous pizza meal in a place right on the corner by the train station.
Good luck with your planning. Sharon

May 31st, 2002, 01:19 PM
PB

I have no experience with staying in Tarascon, but I live about fifteen minutes from there. I wouldn't have thought of it as a base....aside from the castle there isn't much going on there and the town itself is pretty small.

PB

May 31st, 2002, 04:15 PM
chris

Stay in St. Remy instead -- much more interesting than Tarascon and, of course, Glanum is right next door. If you are interested in roman ruins, don't miss the remains of Roman mills -- I can't remember what they are called, but they are on the road between St. Remy and Arles. We found them by looking at a detailed map. If you are interested, email me and I will look up my notes from 10 years ago.

Jun 3rd, 2002, 12:56 PM
mike sullivan

faile626..... Following the exit of the US National team in the World Cup matches of 1998, my wife, daughter/with 4 month old grandson and I rented a "gite" (french farmhouse) for a week. It was about 3 miles away from Tarascon and on our first night in town we drove over for dinner and we sat at an outside Piza restaraunt in the center of Tarascon. During the course of the evening we we entertained by the passing of the annual parade that celebrates their local Saint (Agnes) who drove the evil dragon out of the city during the middle ages. Great parade that was the highlite of our visit in Provence. Customs/horses/farmers/floats and everyone having a ball. My guess is that it was probably around the last week in June and it's an annual event. I'd check on this years schedule, and if you can find a place near there for the weekend, I'd stay in Tarascon and enjoy the parade and subsequent festivities on that Friday night and there is asecond day time parade on Saturday. Then drive to Saint Remey, Avignon, or maybe Arles, which are all nearby. Cheers. I am off for a week in Paris in two days to celebrate the anniversary my marriage to a wonderful lady who managed to put up with me for 40 years. Taking her on trips to places like Tarascon certainly helped... PS great Roman ruins in Arles....cheers

Jun 3rd, 2002, 01:31 PM
Daniel

Tarascon boring? So what! A base should be boring! I have never been there, but it´s obvious from the map that Tarascon is a perfect base for daytrips by train to Arles, Avignon and Nimes and by bus to Pont du Gard and St Remy. Tarascon is a railway junction. Good!

Jun 3rd, 2002, 03:14 PM
Pat

Forget the south of France. Go to Brittany Saint Malo the home of the French Pirates. Cancal the oyster capital of France is nearby. Fantastic beaches and wild celtic coastline; and much cheaper than the trendy South.

Jun 3rd, 2002, 03:40 PM
mimi taylor

I did enjoy the Soleido museum and looking at the pricey clothes and table linens at their shop, but not much else in Tarascon

Jun 3rd, 2002, 03:48 PM
Capo

If you like Roman ruins and tiny, windy walkways, how about basing yourself in Arles?

Jun 3rd, 2002, 07:09 PM
faile626

thanks for the replies, everyone. and mike, though the tarascon festival sounds incredible, i am going in september -- i guess i'll miss many crowds, though!

PBProvence, i'll be sending you a more specific email later today (as you offered a few weeks ago), if my connection cooperates.

i'm looking closely at st. remy and arles. i'm just concerned that arles will be too big....ahh! i bet any town in that area will be spectacular in it's own way. i just enjoy analyzing my vacations to the bone to get the maximum pre-trip buzz....

and daniel, while i appreciate the time you took to comment on my question:

A) i've got little patience for truly boring towns, base or otherwise. quiet yet quaint, small yet interesting, but never boring.

B) indeed, it is 'obvious' that tarascon is in the middle of many provence sights. perhaps that is why i was thinking of it.