Search

Taking two 13 year olds to London next summer

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2022, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taking two 13 year olds to London next summer

Hi,
I am taking my two granddaughters to London next summer. I would like to stay around Kensington in a nice hotel. Suggestions and all the touristy things a 13 year old would love?
It has been a few years so i just don't remember all the spots and great boutique hotels.
Thank you.
Old Sep 5th, 2022, 03:31 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Your hotel budget? Is there a particular reason you want to stay in Kensington?? Nothing wrong with it -- it is a very nice area but is on the western edge of central London so not as conveninet for touring around as some other neighborhoods.

Depends a LOT on what interests the girls have - but in general for 13 yo girls a short list could include:

The V&A, Hampton Court Palace, the Tower of London, shopping at some of the posh department stores and at street markets, theatre, afternoon tea, one or more of the terrific art galleries (National, Wallace Collection, the Tates, etc), a concert, if in July or August -- tour of Buckingham Palace,
Old Sep 5th, 2022, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
Your hotel budget? Is there a particular reason you want to stay in Kensington?? Nothing wrong with it -- it is a very nice area but is on the western edge of central London so not as conveninet for touring around as some other neighborhoods.

Depends a LOT on what interests the girls have - but in general for 13 yo girls a short list could include:

The V&A, Hampton Court Palace, the Tower of London, shopping at some of the posh department stores and at street markets, theatre, afternoon tea, one or more of the terrific art galleries (National, Wallace Collection, the Tates, etc), a concert, if in July or August -- tour of Buckingham Palace,
Thank you for your ideas. I stayed in Kensington while daughter was at Oxford and liked the peace but open to suggestions. Am a bit of a 4 star budget thanks again.

Old Sep 5th, 2022, 04:06 PM

"Am a bit of a 4 star budget thanks again."

Sorry -- but that doesn't help very much We really need a $$/££ number. With the understanding that higher end London hotels can be eye wateringly expensive. Since there are three of you, have you considered renting a flat. To get a three bed room in many 4 and 5-ish star hotels would mean a suite - which would be even more eye wateringly expensive.

Old Sep 5th, 2022, 05:36 PM

Great tips from Janisj, all spot on. Will emphasize that my kids loved theater at that age, so might also include The Globe along with other theater. The V&A was their favorite museum.
Old Sep 5th, 2022, 10:56 PM

There are some fun festivals in the summer. Summer by the River by London Bridge goes on for months with free concerts, theatre, dance.. it is a very lively atmosphere with lots of great people watching.

There are outdoor movie screenings in various parts of the city. Lots of family favorites in various places like parks, on rooftops, even on the river. That could be a fun evening out.

For theatre, Hamilton! And I would throw the British Museum into the mix. Maybe a visit to the Skygarden to look at the views.

Consider finding a place to stay with air conditioning. I was in London during THREE heatwaves this summer… I’m talking HOT. I don’t think there was one night I didn’t sweat even when it cooled down. If you get a flat, make sure they have some fans. I don’t think too many apartments have air conditioning - yet.

Old Sep 6th, 2022, 05:33 PM

Great suggestions from other Fodorites..the museums, the Tower, Westminster Abby and definitely Buckingham Palace!

Did the girls enjoy reading the Harry Potter series? They might enjoy the Harry Potter Studio Tour and/or a visit to King's Cross station to see Platform 9 3/4. Other posters may laugh but even as an adult, I found Madame Tussauds interesting, the girls might as well. They will surely recognize some of the more contemporary figures. How about the London Eye? If they like markets, then perhaps the Borough Market for a food-stall lunch Yes, see a matinee or evening show...The Lion King, Mary Poppins, Wicked, Hamilton. In the case of Hamilton, have them listen to the cast album beforehand so they get the gist of the story. The rapping and fast-talking lyrics might hamper their understanding if they haven't listened before. When I taught 6th grade Drama, we'd watch excerpts on youtube... the story line and rapping really engaged the students.

They will enjoy figuring out the tube and riding on a double-decker bus. Don't forget to get a softee ice-cream from a truck with a Cadbury Flake inserted in it...called a 99 Flake.

Have a great time! Love that you are introducing your granddaughters to the wonders of travel.
Old Sep 6th, 2022, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Your suggestions are amazing. thank you so much. It is a treat for me as they are actually my granddaughters and I am sure it will be quite memorable.
I have always loved London and yes they loved Harry Potter so all great suggestions.
You are so kind to share all your thoughts!
Old Sep 6th, 2022, 07:42 PM

"I have always loved London and yes they loved Harry Potter so all great suggestions."

If they are HP fans, consider surprising them with a day trip to the Warner Brothers Studio. It is amazing -- even for non-Potter nuts.

https://www.wbstudiotour.co.uk/?utm_...7&gclsrc=3p.ds

(That link looks weird - I'll see what displays after posting)

Edit: Oh good the VERY long url is truncated and is clickable.
Old Sep 6th, 2022, 11:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Depending where they are in the 13 going on 33 cycle they might like the Diana memorial and the Peter Pan statue, or even this weird place https://www.templechurch.com/
Old Sep 6th, 2022, 11:46 PM

To find a hotel, go to booking.com and put in 'Kensington' and your dates and select '4 stars'. Have a look at rates and come back to us with the ones you like. Bloomsbury is another great central area with some quiet squares and plenty of restaurants. But Kensington, particularly near South Kensington Station, is very nice and central, with some major museums a short walk away and plenty of restaurants.
Do you want two rooms? Maybe look at serviced apartments too.
Old Sep 7th, 2022, 12:03 AM

Oh -- I totally I agree South Kensington would be great -- I think of South Kens as being completely different than Kensington. Direct access from LHR, on the Piccadilly/Circle/District lines, the V&A, etc. High Street Kensington is really only on the circle line (for most journeys the District line requires changing at Earls Court)

Just that much more central . . .
Old Sep 7th, 2022, 11:25 AM

For theater have you considered Regents Park Open Air Theater. It has been a long time since I was there but enjoyed it.

For a hotel I used to stay at Aster House on Sumner Place only a couple blocks from the South Kensington tube station. I believe I stayed there before Rick Steves found it. https://asterhouse.com/

Hotel Number 16 is on the same street but I believe is much more expensive.

Old Sep 7th, 2022, 07:11 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
13's old enough... especially in these times of social media. I suggest to get them involved in the planning. You can pick the hotel and the neighborhood. But then give them a guidebook or have them get on the internet themselves and challenge them on their own to come up with 2 things they specifically want to do Or make a short list of 10 items and have them pick from those.
Fun trip! Enjoy!!

Last edited by suze; Sep 7th, 2022 at 07:13 PM.
Old Sep 8th, 2022, 02:14 AM

I am from the UK and I had my 2 nieces aged 12 and 14 over in July, and we did the following, which they loved!

* Harry Potter Studio Visit - there are loads of tour companies that arrange transport for you also if you need it. I drove them which was fine.
* London Eye - still one of the most popular attractions and gives an amazing view across London where you can see all the sights!
* Get out of London! We went on the Windsor, Stonehenge and Bath Tour - it's ideal for kids as you don't spend too long at each place, but you get to see lots and they loved it for Instagram. They also had wifi on coaches and USB charges so they don't get bored!

Don't forget about restaurants as there are some great restaurants to eat in London with kids also - depending on their tastes!
Old Sep 8th, 2022, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by chrisclayton5515
I am from the UK and I had my 2 nieces aged 12 and 14 over in July, and we did the following, which they loved!

* Harry Potter Studio Visit - there are loads of tour companies that arrange transport for you also if you need it. I drove them which was fine . .

* Get out of London! We went on the Windsor, Stonehenge and Bath Tour - it's ideal for kids as you don't spend too long at each place, but you get to see lots and they loved it for Instagram. They also had wifi on coaches and USB charges so they don't get bored! . . .
Re the above -- No need at all to take a tour for the Warner Brothers Harry Potter Studio. It is very well set up for public transport from central London. 20 minute train from Euston station to Watford Junction and studio shuttle bus from WJ to the site.

I'm surprised the Windsor/Stonehenge/Bath tour was a hit. Good to know -- One might think all the coach time would have been a turn off.
Old Sep 9th, 2022, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by janisj
Re the above -- No need at all to take a tour for the Warner Brothers Harry Potter Studio. It is very well set up for public transport from central London. 20 minute train from Euston station to Watford Junction and studio shuttle bus from WJ to the site.
Thats super useful to know, I didn't realise that!
Old Sep 9th, 2022, 07:34 AM

* Get out of London! We went on the Windsor, Stonehenge and Bath Tour - it's ideal for kids as you don't spend too long at each place, but you get to see lots and they loved it for Instagram. They also had wifi on coaches and USB charges so they don't get bored! . . .

Sounds like teenage heaven. All day on a coach with wifi only getting out for some quick instagram pictures. I think I'll pass on that tour.
Old Sep 10th, 2022, 11:50 PM

There have been a few mentions of Children literary places.

The Roald Dahl Museum and Story Centre
01494 892192
https://maps.app.goo.gl/DYeRgRkHMwyMs53S8

Wind in the willows at Henley on thames
https://rrm.co.uk/collection/the-wind-in-the-willows

Both are suitable for day trips from London. Trips to henley can be covered by Contactless. You can take Elizabeth line or great Western train and make changes.

Old Sep 20th, 2022, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by JohnGreenwood2000
London Dungeons is a great day out for kids
Welcome to Fodors . . . don't mean to be snarky, but really??

Me personally, I'd avoid anything in County Hall (Dungeon, Aquarium, McDonalds, etc) excpet for the maybe the London Eye ticket office and afternoon teas in The Library at the Marriott

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -