Taking TGV at CDG

Search

Taking TGV at CDG

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taking TGV at CDG

I will be arriving at 8:30 am on an Air Canada flight on a Sunday morning at CDG (terminal 2A). Would it be risky to book at TGV ticket leaving for Poitiers at 10:01 or should I give myself more time and catch a later one? Is the TGV station right in that terminal or would I have to take a shuttle?

I can go to either Poitiers or Chatellerault and make arrangements from there, just don't want to be too rushed since I'll still have to pick up my ticket and everything at the gare.

Thanks!
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 08:44 AM

Can't you print out your ticket at home? That would avoid the potential lines at the ticket counter.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 08:46 AM

The TGV gare is between 2C and 2D, so no shuttle involved. You can google for a map of the airport. I generally allow 2 hours after landing time before boarding a train at CDG because once the plane has landed it can take a dog's age to taxi to the airport. If you haven't preprinted your tickets and have to stand in line at the station to retrieve them, that can take some time as well. So I personally would opt for a later train.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 08:54 AM
ira

Ditto both of the above.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 09:37 AM

beware that at the actual TGV station platforms there are two distinct sections - be sure you are waiting for your train in the correct sector as it is not that easy to go between them IME - especially when the TGV arrives and there is a mad rush, etc. Carefully be sure you are standing where you voiture or train car will stop at TGV station at CDG!
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 10:00 AM

I wouldn't want that close a connection. It took us a long time one time to get our luggage--thinking it might not even have gotten there.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 10:51 AM

Ruby99, I have made a similar connection several times from an Air Canada flight to a TGV at CDG.

You could theoretically make the plane to train connection in 90 minutes, but it would require the flight to be on time, the aircraft to park at a gate rather than out on a remote stand, border control to be adequately staffed, and baggage to be delivered promptly.

I have had one or more of those things go wrong at CDG, which is why I think 2 hours is a better cushion.

It's an easy walk, by the way. AC arrives at 2A. After you pick up your luggage, you exit through the customs door and turn right. Just keep walking, following the signs for Gare SNCF (there is a picture of a train on the signs). It's no more than a 10 minute hike. The signs will eventually point you down a flight of stairs (there's an escalator, too) to the station.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 11:09 AM

Or you can buy a flexible ticket for the earlier train -- at a substantially higher price. Then, missing the first train, you can change to the next train, assuming there is room. You would have to exchange the ticket, which could mean lining up, but you will have a couple of extra hours to waste anyhow.
Me, I'd take the advice above and buy a cheap ticket now on the later train. Hanging around CdG is not exactly hell, but it sure qualifies as limbo.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Oh thank you so much for the advice!! I am booking a cooking course in the Loire valley, and they suggested that early train. I will do my own research. I don't mind hanging around the airport a bit, much better than stressing over everything that could go wrong and missing the train!!