Taillevent or Le Grand Vefour?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone eaten at both of these in Paris who could recommend one over the other? We're considering lunch or dinner at one of them, so if you also have advice on lunch versus dinner, that would be helpful, too. I know the food and service at both are supposed to be fantastic, but which has a better atmosphere?
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 02:24 PM

Personally my overwhelming choice would be Taillevent. Lunch is less expensive, but there is something special about a relaxing romantic dinner, and then a walk up the street to see the Arc de Triomphe all lit up.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 03:20 PM

Tailleven't lunch menu is 'just' 70 euro per person. Seems like a good deal. The owner, M. Vrinat, was featured in a recent Town and Country magazine article. He certainly seems personable. I would go just to meet the charming M. Vrinat and request a signed menu as a souvenir.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 03:24 PM

lowrancs, I don't want to hijack this thread, but I've always wondered how Taillevent is pronounced. I have a pretty good idea, but maybe someone would be willing to give their two cents.

Johanna
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 03:26 PM

I know Spanish and just a few French phrases/words so I think it's pronounced:

Ta la van

Oh well, someone else can correct me.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 03:27 PM

I've had dinner at Taillevent and I was underwhelmed. I would not return unless someone else was picking up the tab.

I always recommend either Le Cinq or L'Espadon for a special meal.

I will be dining at Le Grand Vefour in March, I'll post how I liked it if anyone is interested.

liz
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 04:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
you won my heart Ron !!!!
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 04:30 PM

don't the double "ll"s get a "y" sound?
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 05:24 PM
annieladd

I've only been to Le Grand Vefour, but oh my, it was such an experience! Imagine dining at a restaurant where Bonaparte dined, perhaps sitting at the table where Victor Hugo sipped champagne! It was just beautiful, and so many waiters attending our little table, and all so nice. We got a kick out of watching some young folks outside, holding each other up, just to see over the curtains for a glimpse of the restaurant. And, yes, the meal was wonderful. annieladd

Old Jan 4th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

gracie04- I'm not sure about the pronunciation, either, but I think it's something like "tie-yuh-vahn" -- I think "ll" is pronounced like a "y", but I may be wrong.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 07:53 AM

I have not eaten at Taillevent, but have eaten at Le Grand Vefour. One of the most gorgeous restaurants I have ever seen, the history is moving, and the food is magnificent. And Guy Martin is a charming guy!!!
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 08:33 AM

lowrancs and grandmere, I'm with you. I think the "ll" is pronounced with a "y" sound. I've always thought it was pronounced "tie-a-vahn", so maybe I'm close.

Thanks!
Johanna
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 09:04 AM

For the pronunciation of any French words, here is an useful link to a website that will replay anything you type.

First pick "French Parisian" and type a sentence like "Chez Taillevent les prix sont cher" and Alain will repeat the sentence as often as you like.

To my French ears it is not perfect, there are sometimes some liaisons missing, but it is easier than learning phonetics!

Here is the link: http://www.naturalvoices.att.com/demos/index.html
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 10:49 AM

That's an interesting website, I tried it out because I thought it would be good for unusual words I don't know. However, "Alain" won't even pronounce the word "taillevent" (which isn't really a common word in the language, and is just a compound slang word put together for a guy who was an author, as I understand it). He does pronounce a similar word, but it would be confusing for someone who didn't recognize it as not even the same word. They must search a dictionary and have him pronounce the word that is closest in spelling or something (he pronounces the word tailleur, I believe). You can get him to pronounce it by putting it in as the two separate words taille and vent, but he barely even pronounces the word vent.

Gracie's phonetic suggestion works for me, but I wouldn't say exactly three major syllables nor the middle one as a separate "a", that's all (don't make a big deal of the middle one) -- it's really only two but you kind of have to put a little vowel sound in the middle to connect the word, and that's common on French words that end in "e" (like Louvre). It is the two French words taille and vent put together, that's all. "ll" isn't always pronounced as "y" (eg, salle, ville are not) but is in this case. I think it is always a "y" when preceded by ai (which wouldn't be "ah" so the word wouldn't be pronounced ta-la-van). aill is a diphthong in a lot of words (paille, tailleur, faille, ailleurs, caillou, maillot, etc.) and the "l" is not pronounced in them. You might be familiar with some of these borrowed in English, although some English speakers may not pronounce them correctly (maillot, paillette)

That first syllable is pretty close to the diphthong sound in the English word "buy", I'd suggest, which I guess would be "tie" in English, also.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 12:40 PM
ira

Hi L,

I think you could have lunch at both for the price of dinner at either.