Reload this Page >

Synagogue in Rome

Search

Synagogue in Rome

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2000, 04:36 PM
Nancy

Synagogue in Rome

I know there is a synagogue in Rome. Does anyone know where it is?

Old May 3rd, 2000, 05:06 PM
Bill

Yes, there is at least one in Rome. It is at the edge of the old getto area. We were shown it on a tour we took, but I don't remember exactly where it is.

Old May 3rd, 2000, 07:30 PM
David

The synagogue is very close to the Tiber River;address i have is Lugotevere de'Cenci. Most city maps will show it. If your visiting synagogues in Italy, in addition to the one in Rome, try to visit the one in Florence too. Different style, Moorish. Both very beautiful. Finally, the 5 synagogues in Venice (ghetto area) are worth a visit too. <BR>

Old May 4th, 2000, 05:28 AM
howard

I believe the address of the synagogue in Rome as given by David is correct. The Ghetto area is not that large and is definitely worth a visit. If you're asking directions, it's near the Teatro dei Marcellus (an ancient ruin).And, certainly go to the synagogue and take the tour of the facility. It (and the entire Ghetto area, for that matter) has a poignant history.

Old May 4th, 2000, 06:11 AM
phyllis

the synagogue in rome is majestic, and there are services on friday night and saturday morning. it is, as the previous replies indicated, very easy to get to. i'd like to add two other suggestions that will add to the flavor of this area. one is the turtle fountain, which was "modified " by bernini, its a five minute walk from the synagogue, hardly ever crowded and a delight to see. the second suggestion is a tiny bakery, one or two long blocks from the synagogue. i don't think it has a name, but if you leave the entrance of the synagogue and turn right (with your back to the tibur river) and walk to the end of the small street you are on, turn left. you'll walk along a residential block for one or two blocks. the bakery is on the corner and on a friday morning there is a crowd waiting to by challah (bread for the sabbath) and other baked goods. the challah is wrapped in paper and tied with a ribbon. its sweet and filled with candied fruit and the pignoli cookies are out of this world. we spent a friday walking the area and it left us with a true feel for a special community. have a wonderful trip.

Old May 4th, 2000, 07:35 AM
howard

Forgot to mention my previous posting that we had lunch in a delightful restaurant in the Ghetto area: Al 16 Del Portico D'Ottavia, which, of course, is located at Via Del Portico D'Ottavia, 16. The meal (pasta, of course) was one of the best we had on our entire trip. And, the waiter, who looked like young Al Pacino and spoke excellent English, was delightful. Incidentally, we were the only non-locals in the restaurant.

Old May 4th, 2000, 08:41 AM
Liz

Is the temple opened on Sunday to visit? Thanks

Old May 4th, 2000, 09:52 AM
howard

Yes, it is. We went on a Sunday!