Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Switzerland in three days with 9 and 6 year old

Old Apr 19th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Germany/Switzerland/Austria late June - early July this year. We have a 9 year old and a 6 year old. All is set for Germany and Austria BUT I'm really stuck with Switzerland. We will travel by train from Stuttgart into Switzerland for a Thursday to Sunday (departing early Sunday to get to Munich). We want to travel into Switzerland - settle into one hotel (or B&B) for the days we are in country. From that location we will stay local or take a day trip here or there. We do not want to be in a city. We'd rather be out enjoying the scenery and with the people/cows/flowerboxes. We love to wander - see the local sites - eat at cafes, etc.... At this moment in our trip - we don't want full days - just enjoying life in Switzerland with the option of doing a little something each day if we feel like it.
We need to stay someplace where a train station is close and the people speak some English in our hotel/b&b. We'd like breakfast included in the place we stay. Any suggestions are appreciated! Thank you!
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 03:05 PM

The Berner Oberland area is beautiful, and is what you are seeking. However, you will have to consider how long it will take you to get there using trains and public transportation.
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

do you have a suggestion what one location in that area you'd recommend to settle for a couple nights? Thanks!
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 09:04 PM

Hi RACD,

The problem here is the vast distances you'll have to travel to get into the truly high Alps. For instance, it will take you about 5h30 to 5h50 with three or four changes to get to the village of Wengen in the Berner Oberland. Information on all the villages of the Oberland is at www.myjungfrau.ch

It's a little quicker to get to Luzern (3h50 or 4h04), but then Luzern is a city -- though it's a lovely city, a miniature Switzerland with lakes and mountains. Information, if you're interested, at www.luzern.org and www.lakelucerne.ch

Another idea would be the "Heidi" country around Bad Ragaz (or Maienfeld or Mels), which would be around 4h06 to 4h28. I haven't been to this area yet, but I've heard it is characterized by green rolling hills and chalets with flowers.

Anyway, hope you get some good info!

s
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 09:47 PM

You might want to check out hotel Valavier in Brand. It's located on the border of Switzerland and Austria but it puts you in the mountains, has a small pool, a lovely valley with quaint houses and it's not that far away.

I've been there twice and we've all had a good time.

http://www.valavier.at/?setLang=2
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all! Rick Steves has mentioned "working farms" as a nice place to stay with children. I cannot locate any of these specifically in Switzerland - do any of you know where some are?
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 06:47 AM

Hi RACD,

Here's a link to some organizations that may get you started:

http://www.myswitzerland.com/en.cfm/...acts-list.html

Good luck!

s