Switzerland in late October early Nov!

Sep 7th, 2015, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Switzerland in late October early Nov!

Hi folks, wondering how's practically the weather in Swiss in last week of October and early November ?

Thinking of Geneva and surrounding areas in that timeframe with 2 kids, hoping it's not crazy cold ?!

Many sites shows averages around 45-50, but wondering if it's travellable?
Sep 7th, 2015, 09:22 PM

Hi blueninja,

The area around Montreux/Vevey sits in a microclimate that is warmer than a lot of Switzerland. But it'll still be cold and pretty bleak I think. Well, the gardeners keep flowers planted along the lakeside promenade even in November and March, and they make up inventive sculptures for the promenade, but once away from the lake, it will be bleak.

For the past few years, I've been taking my vacations there in November and early December to enjoy the Christmas markets (which are very, very different from the markets in Germany and Austria). But you'll be there too early for the markets.

Not sure what you mean by "travellable." I find all of Switzerland "travellable" in all weather. When I'm there in late Nov/early Dec, I dress warmly and walk everywhere. However, I don't eat or drink at an outdoor cafe --

Have fun as you plan!

s
Sep 8th, 2015, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Mainly what i want to know is if it's not crazy cold! I live in New York and it's crazy cold in jan-feb here and very hard to walk around.

Wondering if Swiss is ok to go around.
Sep 8th, 2015, 06:19 AM

Hi again,

I grew up in the Middle East and in Florida, so I get cold easily. Now I live in Germany near the Alps -- I've gone walking/hiking in the Alps in November, December, January, and February, etc. So I wouldn't say that it's hard at all to walk around in.

I think it's more a question of wearing the right clothes and shoes than of the weather.

You can look at historical weather data at a place like www.weatherunderground.com and see what the temps are likely to be.

Then bundle up and have fun!

s