Switzerland 1st week of November

Sep 10th, 2019, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Switzerland 1st week of November

I've read multiple forums that have stated early November is the worst time to visit Switzerland. Before reading this bit of information I booked a super cheap flight from the United States.. cheap enough that I couldn't really pass.

I prefer the more natural wonders of countries over museums and big cities. I've read online a lot of lifts and such close down during this time for maintenance. Is it going o be possible to visit places such as below? I'll be there during the very first week of November.

Will I still be able to visit the Matterhorn? Cold temperatures alone doesn't bother me at all even if below 0 Celsius.

If a lot of lifts are closed is it worth it to just rent a car at this point? I've drove in several European countries before so I'm not worried about driving if it saves some money.

Thanks!
Sep 11th, 2019, 01:07 AM

Weather is always unpredictable in the Alps. The first week of November can be marvelous or incredibly ugly, with thick fog, heavy wind and snowfall.
Often, the weather is mild and sunny in the Alps and cold under a thick layer of fog in the midlands.
Only Zermatt, the Bernese Jungfrau area and Engelberg have mountain railways running after Novermber 3rd.
Night temperaturs at altitudes of 2000 metres will be below zero degrees centigrade for sure, but days can get warm if the sun shines.

Last edited by neckervd; Sep 11th, 2019 at 01:12 AM.
Sep 11th, 2019, 07:04 AM

Maybe Ticino?
But I never travelled to CH in November.
Sep 11th, 2019, 09:42 AM

My first Switzerland trip was November (because it's my b-day month). I was only in the Lac Leman area. It was definitely winter (wool coat, boots, hat, scarf) but not horribly cold. I wasn't trying to do any of the things you asked about though. We were just around in Geneva, Lausanne, Vevey, Montreux, Gruyeres, cities/towns down along and near lake level. It was a fantastic trip, so I'd hardly say the "worst time" myself.
Sep 11th, 2019, 02:43 PM

November

Its true that weather can vary greatly. In 2010 I traveled to Switzerland from October 29-November 6, basing in Rapperswil, near Zurich. Afternoons were sunny and bright (light jacket), evenings mid 50s. No mittens or boots needed at lower altitudes!
Sep 11th, 2019, 03:25 PM

We visit Switzerland often, and always in the off season - (we're headed back there for 3 weeks at the end of this month, which is about as close to in season as we get!). We've visited during November on a few occasions and have never regretted it.

Absolutely no need to rent a car - trains and most buses run as usual, and although some cableways and gondolas will be closed for the season and/or maintenance, you will not run out of things to do.

I suggest you decide where you want to go and then sit down and research the operating schedules of the mountain excursions in each area that interests you. It's also possible to hike that time of year, as many areas will still be snow free - those that aren't won't be groomed until ski season begins later in December. Even with closed cableways, there's plenty of lower altitude hiking to be had.

The Gornergrat Bahn (Matterhorn) runs year round. I for one, would have no qualms visiting Zermatt in November (in fact I have) - it will be quieter than it's usual chaotic self (which is a very good thing!), accommodation will be cheaper, yet the town is still a town, and therefore open for business - there's even summer skiing above Zermatt!

Go! Just do your homework so you know what to expect.