Switzerland for 4 days in August

Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switzerland for 4 days in August

We are meeting friends in Pula Croatia in the beginning of August and sailing with them for a week. To get there we are flying thru Zurich; so I booked a layover. We arrive in Zurich on the 10th and fly out on the 14th. I am looking for sugestions as to where we should spend out time. Any sugestions appreciated.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 10:58 AM

What do you like to do? Hiking? Photography? Museums? Culteral events? Do you prefer cities or small towns/villages? Lakes, green valleys, or mountains? There is so much to do and see in Switzerland, it would help to know what you like.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Sorry about not replying sooner we went sking over the weekend. So what do we like to do???? It all sound good. We like to hike but i do have a small fear of heights so hiking near any clifs would not be for me. I like small cities and places that have lots of history. I know in four day we will not be able to see that much of the country. What I am looking for is sugestions from people who have been there. Lucerne or the Berner Oberland and what town in the Berner Oberland.
Thanks
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 09:26 AM

your post has been buried by time!
You can see a lot of nice towns in three days!
Zurich to the town of Zug is under one hour by train. A quaint, walkable town on the edge of Lake Zurich with an old section and boat rides. Try the local dessert--Zugerkirschtorte.
To Luzern by train, under one hour--a deliteful small city for a 5-6 hour visit...you can take a boat to any lakeside village for lunch as well.
To Engelberg (an underdiscovered jewel) and Mount Titlis (IMO, better than Jungfrau--blasphemy) 2.5-3 hours by train.
Interlaken, the jumping off point into the mountains/Berner Oberland proper, just 2hr 20-3 hours, via Spiez and Bern (another favorite) OR via Luzern.
But my Favorite small town? Brienz, with its century old wooden chalets climbing the hillside beyond Lake Breinz.
Your possibilities are endless! Just don't schedule TOO much, carefully choose!
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 01:33 PM

I recommend a day trip to Luzern. From Zurich main station to Luzern, it's about 1 hour and 10 minutes. From the bahnhof (train station) you can take a bus to the gondola that would take you up to Mt Pilatus. The views from the top are breathtaking. You have a total view of the valley below, Lake Luzern and surrounding mountains. You can also take the cog railway up to the top as well, or way one up/one way down, etc. The last time I went up they had the alpenhorn out where you could get your picture taken and also do a little yodeling.

If you are considering Luzern/Mt Pilatus, I would go on that Sunday, because here in Switzerland the stores are not open on Sundays. You might find a grocery store open at one of the bahnhofs, but for regular "shopping", it won't happen on that day. Plus stores close at 4 (I think 5 in Zurich) here as well. So, if you were planning shopping, do it on Friday when you get there, Sat morning or on Monday.

The link to Mt Pilatus if interested is: http://www.pilatus.ch There is an English link. There is a sort of adventure park there as well (i.e. ropes courses). Openings/closings are listed on the site.

Sounds like a good time. The weather is wonderful here in August.