Switzerland Driving Maps

Search

Switzerland Driving Maps

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switzerland Driving Maps

Can anyone recommend a good driving map for Switzerland? I'm looking for detail similar to the Italian Touring Club maps (1:200,000 scale). Something that will give details of passes, tunnels, and the like.
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 08:45 PM

Hi, Budman. We're partial to Michelin--their maps haven't let us down yet.

At 1:200,000, you'd probably want something like the following Michelin maps:
Northern Switzerland. #551
Southwest Switzerland. #552
Southeast Switzerland. #553

Of course, people's map preferences are highly personal--the maps that work well for me might be difficult to read for someone else. But these are an option.

Don't know if you have access to a good map store, but here's one online option: http://www.omnimap.com/ They've got a bunch of maps of Switzerland for about every purpose--including "Switzerland Road Maps."

The one titled "Road Map of Switzerland (Strassenkarte der Schweiz mit Namenliste/Carte Routière de la Suisse avec Index des Noms)" also looks interesting.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 01:25 AM

Be aware that if you drive into Switzerland you will need to have a vignette attached to your car's windscreen to allow you to drive on the majority of Swiss roads. The vignette can be purchased near border entrances and costs about 35 euros. That covers a year's worth of access, and you cannot buy less.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

RufusTFirefly, thanks. I think the #551 will do the job since that's the only area we will be in. Plus, I will have the Navigation -- will just need the European software, in English.

adeben, yes, don't want to forget the vignette. I remember reading a thread about someone being stopped and levied a very large fine. 100Sfr + the cost of the vignette - 40Sfr. (

Old Oct 30th, 2005, 07:45 AM

I am with Rufus on this one. I use the least detailed of the Michelin maps, #927, but I have some of the more detailed ones as well.

There is some absence of detail on the Michelin 927 map, but nothing alarming.

I find there is a distinct need to know the interim points on your route because often there are no route numbers.

Also, you need to know where NOT to go as well as where to go.

We have wandered those hills to some remote places, like Griesalp and Afoletrn im Emmental, and we normally get there.