Search

Switzerland Dreaming

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2009, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switzerland Dreaming

Hi,

I'm taking my wife to Switzerland in September and would like to ask for your opinion on my planned itinerary:

Flight to ZRH and then train to Lucerne.
Lucerne for 3 nights .
Murren, by train, for 2 or 3 nights?
Kulm Gornergrat by train for 1 night.
Zermatt for 3 or 4 nights.

Hotel Questions:

Lucerene: Should we stay at a hotel in the old city?
Murren: Has any body recently stayed at the Hotel Eiger?

Misc Questions:

How good is the Lucerne music festival?
If we choose train travel over rental car, which one is a better choice for us - Swiss Pass or Swiss Flexi Pass?

Appreciate any suggestion or comment!
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 04:54 AM

Hi Hauman,

Sounds like a wonderful trip, hitting the great spots.

Sorry, haven't ever been to the Luzern music fest, but it's on my list of events to attend. I think if you don't mind crowds, it would be splendid! World class performances, etc.

I personally would try to grab a river-view or lake-view room in Luzern if possible. In fact, I would go to Weggis or Vitznau to get one (if price were an object). I've stayed at the Hotel des Balances in Luzern and at one in Weggis that I can't remember right now. What's your budget for this hotel?

Unfortunately, to bet the best deal on train travel, someone just has to get all the fares to compare to the various passes. You can get all the fares at the Swiss rail site,

www.rail.ch

I will add that I usually get a Half Fare Card for my own travels; it costs 99 chf and gives you half off every fare for one month. However, if you're staying at a lakeside village and commuting in to Luzern, then one of the Passes (with free ferry coverage) would appeal to me.

Good luck!

s
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Hi Swandav,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I am looking at the Hotel Des Balances as well but then I read on TA(hotel reviews)that in the summer months they don't have a/c and there's a mosquito problem? Can you verify this?

Our budget for hotels is around CHF 350 - 400 a night and if we don't stay in suites it should cover us nicely for our trip.

Do you think that train travel is better then renting a car for Switzerland?

The Half Fare Card sounds interesting! Will study up on all the cards and passes and will try and compare prices to see which one we can benefit from most.

Thanks again!
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 06:55 AM

I don't know your hotels. But I definitely think train travel is better than driving in Switzerland. Actually, it's train/bus/boat travel. The passes are good on all that. But remember most of the mountain funiculars and gondolas are privately owned; the Swiss Pass only covers half of those fares.

Public transportation is superb in Switzerland; everything connects like clockwork. And you get to enjoy the scenery along the way, unlike the driver of a car. Plus some towns are car-free.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 07:27 AM

I stayed last at the des Balances in April so cannot remember if there was A/C or not but the place is well-located for sure and if you get a river-view room you'll see the bridges, etc.; some even have step out balconies.

Re the rental car..you cannot take one all the way into Zermatt..you'd have to leave it parked in nearby Tasch.

In September unless you are REALLY interested in activities such as hiking I would not spenf four nights in Zermatt...I love the place but it isn't all that big and if you aren't hiking or skiing or gazing at the Matterhorn peak, well, I suspect there may be other areas you could spend seberal days such as in the Berner Oberland where there is, IMO, a lot more to see and do.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 07:27 AM

Hi Hanuman,

Unfortunately, I was there in the winter on both trips so cannot comment on mosquitos, etc. I will add that it'll be tough (and expensive) to find air conditioning. It would be easier to try to find a quiet place where you can open the windows and let in a breeze.

I absolutely agree with Mimar above; trains are absolutely the way to go! They run often, go everywhere, free you up to enjoy your trip, and of course they are green!! Especially for your trip (one car-free village, one car-free town, and one city), a car makes no sense.

Have fun!

s
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys!

OK we will stick with the public transport and I'm checking all the train time on the SBB website.

One more question. Once we arrive at the train station, let say Lucerne, will the hotel pick up our luggage or do we have to drag them to the hotel? Perhaps take a taxi?
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 08:12 AM

Hi Hanuman,

In Mürren, most hotels have an electric cart or van and will pick you up; that's normal. I bet it's the same in Zermatt. In Luzern, you can take a taxi. I took a taxi to Des Balances, but once I was oriented to the area and saw how close it was to the station, I just walked when I left.

Have fun!

s