Switzerland and Asthma

Aug 20th, 2003, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Switzerland and Asthma

I am going to Switzerland and was hoping to do some easy hiking. I have mild asthma and hadn't thought much about how the altitude might affect me? Anyone, have experience with this?
Aug 20th, 2003, 02:39 PM

Talk to your doctor! Do not accept advice from travel gurus!
Aug 20th, 2003, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Just wondering how the altitude affects folks without asthma?
Aug 20th, 2003, 03:15 PM

Mel, you feel dizzy, weak, fainting, in addition you may get headache, ear ringing. There is a long thread on it on USA forum if you're interested.
Aug 20th, 2003, 05:40 PM

I have mild asthma and don't usually need to use albuterol at home. My doctor suggested I bring it for the high altitude. I did mild to moderate hiking, leisurely pace, and I did need to use. I think it was the altitude but I got a little winded and my lungs burned. The albuterol worked for me. I would concur with the opinion to check with your doctor though. Everyone reacts differently.
Aug 21st, 2003, 07:23 AM

I have moderate asthma but am completely controlled by medications. When I went to Switzerland a couple years ago my Dr. prescribed Prednisone in case I needed it for altitude but I didn't. I do carry albuterol but don't remember needing that much either.
Sometimes the hiking uphill bothered my lungs alot though so take it slow at first and see what your lungs can do.
If your asthma is connected to hay fever and allergies I had an awful time in Switzerland, worst of anywhere I have been. Had to keep buying boxes of kleenex.
Enjoy Switzerland.