Search

Switzerland - 4 days from Geneva with car

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2003, 06:37 AM
jka
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switzerland - 4 days from Geneva with car

We will be in Switzerland for 4 days in late September. We are flying in and out of Geneva and will have a rental car (unless everyone recommends otherwise).

It will be our first visit so we are looking for any suggestions of places to visit and things to see? Favorite places to eat and stay?

We like the outdoors and would like to do some light hiking. We prefer Bed & Breakfast type accommodations rather than large hotels.

Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 07:31 AM
jmw

Hi, a good place to start might be

bnb.ch

a bed&breakfast association. I don't even know where to begin with places to visit. Lausanne, Montreux, Chillon (castle of), Chateau d'oex, Gruyeres, Berne, the Lavaux vineyards and villages (St. Saphorin, Rivaz, Cully, Lutry), then across to lakes Thun, Brienz and the Oberland (others will give you hiking suggestions). Have fun planning. J.

Old Jun 13th, 2003, 09:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You can drive or take the train along Lac Luman (don't call it "Lake Geneva"~ haha) to Lausanne, Vevey, and/or Montreux. The Saturday early morning open air farmers market in the Vevey town square is fantastic. Chateau de Chillon just past Montreux is a terrific OLD castle. The scenic tram (catch at the train station in Montreux) Rochers de Naye is beautiful.

Heading in a different direction the castle at Gruyere is a good 1/2 day trip.

You can find fabulous food at most any bakery or upscale grocery store. The older central section of Vevey has wonderful small cafes with weekday lunch specials listed on their chalkboard outside.

I am extremely fortunate to have good friends who live in the area so haven't had to find a place to stay myself.

Enjoy!
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 03:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Or even better call it le Lac Leman (with accent aigu on the 2nd "e". Can't put it on my pc.) Suze, sorry being a spelling police but you will forgive me since you wanted to be precise not to call Lake Geneva ;-)

I strongly second Lavaux vineyards. Really breath taking landscapes over the vineyards and the lake underneath + French shore and Savoie Alpes on the other side of the lake. Under a fair wheather, that's an unbelievable scenery. Try to visit one of the family wineries. There are some with terrasse or indoor bar for tasting and a gorgeous view over the lake. Call the tourist office of Cully or of Montreux-Vevey for information.
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 04:59 AM
jmw

If you happen to be in Rivaz around lunchtime or dinner, the food is wonderful at the Auberge du Rivaz (sorry, I can never remember if it's du or de) --right on the road that runs along the lac -- so you can reach it by boat, train, or car. J.