Switzerland

Old Jun 30th, 2003, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switzerland

Hi there. My husband and I will be travelling in late August to Switzerland and then onwards to France. We would love to hear some comments on our preliminary plans in Switzerland...thanks!!!

Day 1: Arrive in Zurich around 10am. Tour the town and stay overnight.

Day 2: Travel by rail along the Golden Pass Line. We are planning to stop in Lucerne for a half day tour around the area. After Lucerne, continue towards Geneva where we will be spending the night.

Day 3: Travel by rail to Lausanne and Montreux for another day trip. We will be leaving by rail to Paris in the evening from a station around Lake Geneva if possible.

As for travel arrangements, we are still undecided on which pass (if any) to buy. We are not planning to rent a car in Switzerland because all our research so far indicates that the transportation system is very advanced. Also, we will take the train from Geneva to Paris and then in Paris, we will also train to Bordeaux and back. Is there a pass that can accomodate everything we want to do?

Thanks!!
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Woops...forgot to mention we are looking into the Eurail Selectpass Saver which allows us 5 days of unlimited travel within 3 countries (we are only visiting Switzerland and France). Will this pass allow us to do the scenic trips I mentioned in Switzerland? Thanks!
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 09:34 AM
jmw

Hi myps. I notice that there is an evening tgv train from Geneve to Paris that leaves at 19:23 and arrives 22:24. I don't know if that's what you meant. If it is, I'll not resist making a suggestion (even though your idea is fine). You might consider staying in Montreux or Vevey or even Lausanne for your Lac Leman night, and just train to Geneve for the late afternoon before catching the train to Paris. J.

Old Jun 30th, 2003, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Hi J.
Thanks for your suggestion. We were actually thinking of taking an overnight train to Paris on our last night (hopefully saving a night of hotel).
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 10:47 AM

Your route will NOT enable you to see the really high peaks of the Berner Oberland or the Pennine Alps, which are between Italy and Switzerland. These are the highest peaks of the Alps, the real alpine scenery, but your route ignores them.
Rail travel of necessity looks at the peaks from the bottom up, and I never felt like you got the best views that way. My opinion of course, but having done it both ways, I prefer a car and looking down from the mountain passes.

Old Jun 30th, 2003, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Hi Bob.
We were planning to take a side trip from Lucerne to Mt. Pilatus. Will that give us the scenic view that you described? Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 01:34 PM

Hi - regarding your question about taking the trip to Mt. Pilatus from Lucerne - if you are in Lucerne for only a half day, I'm not sure you would have time for that trip. I think it took 3-4 hours for the one I took - boat/cogwheel train to the top, wander around for awhile, then cable car/gondola down, then walk back to the downtown area.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Hi cls2paris.
Thanks for your advice. I guess we can spend more time in Lucerne for day 2 if required. We just need to get to Geneva by night time for the hotel reservation. So if we leave Zurich in the morning heading to Lucerne and area and then end up in Geneva at night, do you think it is doable? Thx!!
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 02:53 PM

Probably doable but I think rushed. Lucerne is a beautiful town with an interesting old town. It depends on your interests. I loved wandering around the small streets of Lucerne, shopping, walking along the lake and taking the trip to Pilatus but I was there 2 days and didn't feel at all rushed. I've been to Lucerne several times and haven't run out of interesting things to see and do. Also from Lucerne, you can take boat rides to some of the smaller lake towns. I think Weggis might be one of them, but that might be on the Zugersee. The names escape me but I think they've been discussed here.

Oh, you all asked about the train pass covering part of this. It was several years ago, but I remember part of the trip being covered. I think it might have been the ferry and the cog-wheel train but not the cable car/gondola. They will know at the tourist office where you buy the ticket for the trip.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 03:33 PM
jmw

Hello again, myps. I can remember when friends and I used night trains to save money, but of course, we slept sitting up. Is it still a bargain? It does bring back memories of adventures and interesting routes in order to fit in a whole night's sleep.

With that in mind, have you used the sbb website to check possible trains? (sbb.ch) There doesn't seem to be a train from Geneve to Paris that allows for an entire night's uninterrupted sleep. What about training back to Zurich from Lausanne in the evening . . . . there's a nighttrain at 23:00 from Zurich which requires no changes and brings you into Paris-Est at 6:46 the next morning. Actually, that seems very familiar to me. I think I remember eating a late supper in Zurich (geschnetzelts mit rosti, of course) and then boarding for the 11 p.m. nighttrain.
I'm assuming your hotel reservations are locked in for Geneva, otherwise you could consider reversing the order of your Swiss visit. Isn't planning fun? J.

By the way, I still think the real interest on Lac Leman is the small towns, the vineyards, and Lausanne. (IMHO)

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 12:39 PM

Your trip is doable, but I certainly suggest a return trip one day to see the Lauterbrunnen Valley area of Switzerland. My husband and I based ourselves last Aug. out of Zurich and took day train trips to Luzern (SO WONDERFUL, with the side boat rides to Weggis and beyond with Mt. Pilatus in site), Bern, Lausanne, Lugano... so close when doing the trains early in the a.m. so that we could be back in Zurich each night. Before we went on to Geneva, we met someone who suggested a little hotel in the Lauterbrunnen Valley for a couple of extra nights. They were so adamant about it, we decided to leave Zurich and follow up the idea. I can honestly tell you that I cried when I saw the waterfalls, the 3 giant snowcapped peaks, the flowers, NO car traffic, and the rushing water nearby. We gave up luxury digs and stayed at the Hotel Staubach (sp.?)--the view from our balcony was so breathtaking, my hubbie and I just sat there for hours. We plan to go back very next spring. I don't know if you can fit it in, but I highly suggest a visit there.
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 12:48 PM
Intrepid

Re the Geneve-Paris portion. There is no overnight train from Geneve since most ofn the services are via TGV which takes about 2 hrs 53 minutes. If you want to do it any slower than that you'd probably have to go to Zurich first as someone above has mentioned.
The very HIGHEST peaks (in Switzerland and Italy) are actually best seen from Zermatt, btw.

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for their suggestions. Boy...planning this is proving to be fun yet difficult as it seems there is so much to see in such little time.

I think we will now spend all of Day 2 in Lucerne and surrounding areas catching a night train to Geneva.

Also, we have decided not to take an overnight train to Paris...why spend 10 hours when we can do it in 3?? So on Day 3, after touring the Lake Geneva area, we will board a train around 6pm and head for Paris.

Is it necessary to tour Geneva after visiting Zurich? Maybe we can spend more time in the other towns nearby.

Cheers!!
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 03:37 PM

Pilatus is a minor, but steep peak.
The ride up will give you a good taste of the scenery. It will give you a great view from the top. For that kind of view, position is key, and Pilatus is positioned!! Glad you are doing it.
It will give you incentive to return and see more later on.
I think you will milk out of your compact schedule about all you can.
There is just so much that one can do, and it sounds to me like you are doing it.

Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 06:05 AM
jmw

I confess to becoming a little confused here, but if I'm following, you'll be visiting Zurich and Lucerne? If so, I'll restate my opinion that you do not have to "tour" Geneve, but will enjoy aesthetic contrast by visiting the Lavaux section of the lake between Montreux and Lausanne. Or -- you can go up into the hills above Montreux to Chateau d'oex. It depends upon what you need to fill out your very brief Swiss experience. The castle of Chillon? a vineyard and a village? (St. Saphorin, Rivaz, Lutry), quaint? (Gruyeres). So many choices. J.

Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Hi jmw.

Sorry for the confusion. We have hotel reservations for Zurich for Day 1 and Geneva for Day 2 (using hotel reward points). So for each day, we are using these cities as bases. We can actually stay both days in the same city but decided to split it up so that we can go across the country.

I've read in the forum that it is way more fulfilling to go to the smaller towns and that's why we may skip a Geneva town tour (only sleep overnight in Geneva) since we would have already done Zurich.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 09:32 AM
jmw

So you'll explore Zurich's old streets on day 1, then visit Lucerne the second day moving on to Geneve for the night, then visit the picturesque villages of Lac Leman on day 3, with an evening tgv to Paris. Yes? Sounds dandy but exhausting. Bon Voyage! J.