Notices

Switzarland & Austria help

Old Oct 25th, 2003, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switzarland & Austria help

My husband and I are planning a Switzerland & Austria vacation from November 6th arriving in Zurich until November 17th departing Vienna. We're intested in visiting Zurich, Berne, Le Brassus, Geneva,Montreux, Zermatt,St. Moritz, Innsbruck, Salzburg and Vienna (supposedly in that order). We're just not sure how much time to spend in each place, if just passing through for the day is enough or we should spend the night, and if so how many. Also, we'd like to rent a car in Switzerland, but after St. Moritz, maybee cities are too far apart to drive in Austria, would trains be better in Austria or should we continue by car?
We'd appreciate any input, thanks,
Cristina
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 01:30 AM

I almost choked when I read your post. Much too ambitious!

And what I don't understand - you want to DRIVE in Switzerland and go by train in Austria? In November? Yikes! How do you want to drive from Zermatt (or Montreux) to St. Moritz? Pass roads will be closed! And driving via Italy (or swiss plains) takes VERY much time.

I definitely suggest you take the trains in Switzerland - even in November. And I want to point out that you probably should make the decision to see Zermatt and St. Moritz when you're in Switzerland - weather can be too bad in Nov.

It would be helpful to tell us what exactly are your intentions to see in the cities you mentioned. So we could give recommendations what to skip, where to base yourself and make a daytrip or so.

Ingo
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 04:20 AM

I had the same reaction as Ingo when I saw the plan. My first question is Why?
My first reacion was: Go ahead and do it, maybe you will know what to do next time. My third reaction was: Have you folks looked at a map?

Lausanne is a charming city and you don't include it.

I think you should heed Ingo's advice. Although I have spent weeks in both Switzerland and Austria, he knows the area in greater detail than I.
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 04:30 AM
jmw

The Swiss trains are wonderful, and you can look at the schedule times at the sbb.ch website to see what makes sense in the way of daytrips. I don't know anything about November travel, however, so do heed Ingo's advice. Consider staying a couple of nights in Montreux, from which you can visit Lausanne, Geneve, and Berne as daytrips. Then on to somewhere in central Switzerland. I'd suggest eliminating Innsbruck in favor of a longer stay in Salzburg and Vienna. Your trip is very short for your long list. These two gorgeous countries will delight you and have you planning more trips in the future.

Old Oct 26th, 2003, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Sorry to have almost choked you!But thanks for your replies. Yes, I realize it's ambitious, but I wanted to put all we're interested in so as to have input on what we should drop or add. We'll defenitely take the trains after your comments. Do you think a rail pass covering both countries is better or individual tickets per trip?
Our interests per city are mainly just to see whatever there is to see in each place, the scenery and the villages. Only in Le Brassus my husband is interested in the watch factories (we still have to find out if it's póssible to visit them)
Zermatt and St. Moritz we're planning to see while in Switzerland of course. Do you think both are worth it or we should skip one?
JMW, I'll defenitely consider your idea of being in Montreux as a base and taking day trips to Geneva Berne and Zermatt. As for Laussane, unfortunately it doesn't appear on my map (It's a very basic one froma a brochure, I'll have to find a good one)
thank you all for your replies, I'd appreciate any more ideas.
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 05:17 AM
jmw

Hi, cristina. I'm still wondering about the Moritz/Zermatt visits. Do you think maybe Ingo intended to say "not" consider those two places in November? Ingo, if you're there, please clarify. Yes, Cristina, get a better map soon. I'm sure there are some on the internet you can print out. J.

Old Oct 26th, 2003, 06:34 AM

I am glad you are not offended by my response, Christina. It was maybe a little too biting.

Hi jw, great to hear from you!

It is true that I think both St. Moritz and Zermatt don't have much to offer in November. Sure, the mountain views are always gorgeous, but else ...?

I concur with jw that you should skip Innsbruck to save more time for both Salzburg and Vienna.

Am I correct that this is your first visit of both Switzerland and Austria? If yes, you mix up cities with villages, lakes and mountains.

To be honest, the nicest mountain villages will be shut down in November.

I recommend to base yourself in either Bern or Montreux/Vevey (both very centrally located and NOT dead in Nov.) and do day trips from there.

Afterwards you have the opportunity to spend a night in Zermatt and take the Glacier Express train from there to St. Moritz the other day. Spend there a night and head to Salzburg next day.

I don't know yet if this is doable - I must check the railway schedules (but it would not be more convenient/quicker by car). Definitely purchase a rail pass (Swiss Pass probably) for Switzerland and buy point-to-point tickets for Austria.

I'll come back when I have the schedules checked.

Ingo
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 07:07 AM
Intrepid

Personally I'd skip Berne in favor of Luzerne; although I'm a BIG train advocate, esp. in Switzerland, you can travel over the passes by car but you'll end up having to load your car onto the car-carrying trains anyway so I'd vote to sticking to the railroad to get around.
Be aware that in November MANY of the hotels in both Zermatt and St. Moritz are closed and don't reopen until the end of November or the first part of December. If you are going to visit one or both (personally, I think you'd be better off seeing Zermatt and the Matterhorn even if there isn't any snow at the lower elevations..the views are spectacular as is the train ride up to Zermatt from Brig..and skip St. Moritz).
Regardless, I hope you enjoy your trip and as long as you don't plan on seeing some places "in depth" I don't think it is too ambitious, either..what's "fast" for some may be just right for you.

Old Oct 26th, 2003, 09:05 AM

Here is my suggestion for an itinerary:

Nov 6 arr. Zurich, train to Bern, overnight there
7 day trip Bernese Alps, overnight Bern
8 day trip Les Brassus, overnight Bern
9 day trip Lake Geneva/Montreux, overnight Bern
10 train to Zermatt, go up to Gornergrat (weather permitting), overnight Zermatt
11 Glacier Express train to St. Moritz, overnight there
12 train/bus/train to Salzburg stay there till 14,
14 train to Vienna, overnight there till 17
17 fly home

schedules examples:
Bern 9.47 Les Brassus 12.53
Les Brassus 16.08 Bern 18.57

Bern 9.26 Kleine Scheidegg (Bernese Alps) 11.54 (lunch there and back an hour later)

Bern 9.22 Geneva 11.26
Geneva 17.30 Bern 19.13
(similar for Montreux)

Bern 9.22 Zermatt 12.43

Zermatt 10.10 St. Moritz 18.11 (reservation required)

St. Moritz 9.02 Salzburg 15.29

Changes are required with most connections.

The reason why I include St. Moritz is that the Glacier Express is THE highlight of the scenic trips - it is much more spectacular to go the whole route than only the short leg Brig-Zermatt. Also, you can easily reach Salzburg from St. Moritz within reasonable time, but not from Zermatt.

Some good hotels are open year round in both Zermatt and St. Moritz. I recommend hotel Waldhaus am See in St. Moritz, very close to the railway station, e.g.
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Hello again and thanks for your suggestions. Ingo, that's quite a detailed schedule, thanks.
This will be my second visit to both countries. I was there a long time ago in '86, Zurich, Luzerne and Innsbruck. My husband has done Zurich, Luzerne and a few other places. This would be our first trip to these places together though.
I hadn't realized there wouldn't be much to do in Zermatt and St. Moritz, but yes, We're interested in the Glacier Express. I've been looking at the rail website.
I'll keep researching...thanks