Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Switz. in Aug. - which city to fly into?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to book my frequent-flier flights NOW (like yesterday) and can't decide where to go in late August. If I go to Switzerland and want to have pleasant weather, smallish towns and some nice hiking, what city should I fly into? I'll be flying BA.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 06:29 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Geneva works nicely. The train station is at the airport, so it is very easy. You could start with the nearby towns of Lac Leman (only about 1 hour from Geneva) of Lausanne, Vevey, and Montreux.

This is nothing against Zurich, but I know this part of Switzerland well and it fits what you ask for.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 06:30 AM

Geneva will be the french-speaking part of the country and Zurich the german-speaking. Again, not a pro or con, but you may have a preference for one or the other.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 06:32 AM

There is also a train station at the Zurich airport. I would fly into whichever city works...if you can get flights to both then I would second Geneva for its proximity to Lac Leman and some of the lakeside towns.

If you are traveling ultimately to the Bernese Oberland or to Northeast Switzerland then Zurich might be a better destination.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 06:35 AM

Hi Laura A,

Well, actually, your description could be virtually anywhere in Switzerland; in fact, that's why folks go there.

One thing to note is that Lac Leman will be very, very hot in August. Dripping.

You can escape the heat by going up into the mountains, but some areas are over-run with tourists in August (Grindelwald comes to mind).

So, to escape both the heat and the tourists, I suggest you head to the valley of the Engadin and focus on the small towns like Guarda, Zuoz, Sils, & Pontresina (St. Moritz is nearby). If you want to go here, Zurich airport is closer.

Alternately, you can head for Brig or maybe Zermatt or Saas Fee. I've never been there in August, so don't know if it'll be over-run as Grindelwald is. Brig probably won't be. Anyway, I think either Zurich or Geneva would be convenient for this area.

I think the most important factor is the time I get my feet on European ground, so the fewer the US connections, the better. If you're flying from the US, you should find the most direct flight.

Have fun!

s
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 09:02 AM

Agree (strongly) with Swandav's comments about flights. I fly BA Seattle - Heathrow - Geneva most trips.

Watch out with your London airports on British Air, sometimes they try to sneak in those Heathrow/Gatwick transfers!
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 09:08 AM

As of last summer, the BA flights to Zürich went out of Terminal 4 at Heathrow, which made it very easy---no transfer between terminals, let alone to Gatwick. I think that applied to all flights to Switzerland, (so would include Geneva) but I'm not sure.

Laura----this is late to be booking FF flights for August. You may have to just take what you can get----but as you can see here, either Geneva or Zürich should be fine.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Enzian,

Good to hear! We're flying BA from Zürich-Seattle-Zürich this summer. It was the cheapest flight I could find.

Tschüss!
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:47 AM

Glad I could give you good news, Schuler---it really makes a difference at Heathrow. Gute Reise und Wilkommen in Seattle!

Laura---I just checked and the Geneva flights go through Terminal 4 as well.

Let us know what you decide and you'l get more help with towns and hikes. My family always goes in August, specifically for hiking. We like Kandersteg/Oeschinensee, Bettmeralp, and Mürren; haven't been to Zermatt yet but it is on the list for next time. Just to whet your appetite, look here: www.oeschinensee.ch and click on either the German or English words at the bottom.