Buy cellphone SIM in Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if a foreigner can buy a TIM cellphone (SIM) card in Italy?

The last one I bought in the US came with outdated instructions. Getting a recharge or help from TIM was a fiasco, even for the Italian gent who sold me the recharge card. I believe there is a better chance of getting current instructions and good help if I can buy from a TIM store; and it seems the US vendors no longer say you cannot buy one in Italy. Thank you, Gianni
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 04:25 PM

www.prepaidgsm.net

This website provides very detailed information.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Lesli, several posters on that site suggested waiting until you get to Italy, as better prices and more choices are available there. Apparently TIM has several competitors and all you need is some ID such as a passport. Dunno why that site didn't come up when I searched, but thanks for sharing it. Gianni
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 06:23 PM

I bought a SIM card in italy and it was very easy. I just went to Vodafone, took a number, and when my turn rolled around, walked up and got one charged with 10 euros. Had there been no line, it would have taken me 5 minutes. I did have to have my passport with me, though.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 06:34 PM

It was very easy to purchase my TIM card from a TIM store when I was in Milan. All I had to do really was show my passport and pay them money. I believe I paid 45 euros for my SIM and it came with 30 euros of time...I think.

No need to purchase overpriced SIMs from American vendors before you go, unless it's important for you to have a number before you leave.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

laclaire & mcnyc, Thanks for confirming. It is nice to hear it from those who have done it. Gianni
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 09:09 AM

Anyone know if a TIM card works in the US?

A co-worker borrowed my phone and came back with a TIM card with some minutes still left on it but I can't seem to get it to pick up on either T mobile or Cingular network here in the US.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:57 AM

T-Mobile and Cingular operate on 850 and 1900 MHz bands in the US. The European companies operate on 900 and 1800 Mhz bands.

The phone might work hear with a US network but probably has to be set up by TIM for operation in the US (My quadband Cingular phone had to be set up to work in Europe ( by calling Cingular.)