Reload this Page >

Switching train stations in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 04:26 AM
Marsha

Going from Tours (Loire Valley) to Bayeux via train is not a direct trip. Unless I am mistaken, I have to change trains at Paris. The problem is that I will arrive at the Montparnasse train station and leave for Bayeux from St. Lazare.<BR><BR>Is this a major change? I'll have luggage and have a slight physical disability so if there is an easier way to get from Tours to Bayeux without driving, it would be appreciated.<BR><BR>Any help out there?

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 06:01 AM
Manny

Sorry, but maybe someone else can help.

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 06:46 AM
zzz

topping for marsha.

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 06:52 AM
Bob Brown

Good morning Marsha. I looked at the SNCF scheduler on the Web and there is no other way I can find to connect from Tours to Bayeux by train that is reasonable to consider. <BR><BR>The time required to travel between Gare Montparnasse and Gare St. Lazare is considerable because you must go through the middle of Paris to get from one station to the other. Montparnasse is in the 14th Arr, just over the line from the 6th Arr near the point where Rue de Rennes intersects Boulevard Montparnasse. The station is slightly southwest of the Tower, so the Tower is between the train station and Boulevard Montparnasse. <BR><BR>Gare St. Lazare is close to the Opera Garnier, in the northeast corner of the 8th Arr right on the line between the 8th and the 9th. <BR>There are actually two Metro lines (12 and 13) that connect the two areas, but I do NOT suggest even thinking about taking one of them with luggage.)<BR>The best way is to take a taxi.<BR>I don't really know the cost, but $20 is not unreasonable to expect. I do know that taxi drivers get extra for pieces of luggage. (I can not ever seem to figure out how the charges are calculated. 13ff to get in, 4 ff per k, and 2 ff per minute and 6ff per piece of luggage. So figuring that the street distance from Montparnasse to St. Lazare is 6 K with all of the twists and turns, I come up with an estimated charge of 100 francs or about $13 based on this calculation.<BR>13ff get in the cab fee + (20 minutes travel * 2ff per min ) + (3 suitcases * 6ff each) + (4 ff per k * 6k ) = 95<BR>But for some reason, I always seem to end up paying 200 francs or more. <BR><BR>The best connection seems to be the TGV, <BR>#8322, that leaves Tours at 12:09.<BR>You will have about an hour and a half to make the connection, which should be more than enough at that time of day.<BR><BR><BR>

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 06:53 AM
Jerry

Hi Marsha, <BR> <BR>We made a similar trip with bags and took a taxi from one station to the other. <BR> <BR>The Metro is the other option, but you may run into stairs there. <BR> <BR>Bon Voyage. <BR>Jerry

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 07:11 AM
Lori

Marsha,<BR>I would not even think of doing this any other way except a taxi. The Metro is too hard to handle w/luggage anyway. Traffic will determine the fare you pay, but figure about $15-20. It's well worth it in the long run tho.

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 07:23 AM
John

To Lori:<BR>Your response to Marsha's post was like a breath of fresh air. The lady was asking for precisely the advice that you gave her.<BR><BR>I can tell that you cut right to the chase in life.<BR><BR>John<BR>

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 08:53 AM
elvira

Marsha:<BR>Add up the cost of the train plus cab fares (to Tours station, between stations in Paris, from Bayeux station), then contact a car/driver hire. It might be worth a few extra dollars for door-to-door service from your accommodations in Tours to your doorstep in Bayeux.