Reload this Page >

Switching airlines upon arrival in Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 07:44 AM
kim

Trying to take advantage of frequent flyer miles while getting to Dublin. I have booked a flight into Manchester on Virgin and then want to take Ryan Air to Dublin. How much time do I need to allow bewtween flights? I assume I need to go through customs while in Manchester. I will only have carry on luggage (I've learned to pack light) so I don't need to pick up bags. What do you think?

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 07:51 AM
Jenny

Most of the airlines are recommending 3 hours here, so that might be a good guide. It's worth noting with some of the bargain airlines, that if you miss the specified flight you're booked on, it's not transferrable, and you have to pay again. So, personally, I think I'd err on the side of caution! Manchester airport is not TOO bad, as airports go, to hang about in ... <BR><BR>Jenny

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 08:01 AM
Katherine

I agree with Jenny err on the side of caution. The carry on luggage should make it much smoother since you will not have to wait for your bags upon arrival. Virgin can also advise you on connection times. Have a great time in Dublin!

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 10:27 AM
Ann

Give Virgin a call and find out if they can check you all the way through to Dublin. If they can, this will save you a lot of hassle (don't have to pick up your luggage, or go through immigration or customs in Manchester).<BR><BR>You may also want to check with Virgin on this: I used FF miles to book a flight on United from DC to Belfast. I had just assumed that I could only get to London on my miles. But luckily the United rep that I got on the phone informed me that I was ticketing a trip to Europe, and that for the same miles as it was costing me to get to London, I could ticket onto whatever European destination I wanted, including Belfast. It may be too late for you if Virgin does this, but you never know until you try.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 11:00 AM
kim

Let me explain a little more. Virgin does not fly to Dublin, but I can get to London or Manchester. I figured that it wouldn't be a big deal to fly from either of those locations to Dublin, both are about 1-1.5 hr flights. But I will need to go on another carrier to do it (Ryan Air, BMI, etc.). One airline won't check your bags through on another airline will they? And there isn't any way to bypass customs and go through in Dublin, is there?<BR><BR>So, to Jenny, when you say that most airlines are recommending 3 hours here, what is that for? Is that actually time between connecting flights? Or time before an international flight?<BR><BR>To Ann, were you on a United partner on your flight from London to Belfast? Maybe that was why they checked you through and it only cost one set of FF miles?<BR><BR>Thanks for your help!<BR><BR>Kim

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 11:37 AM
Ann

Yes, from London to Belfast, it was a partner airline when I used the miles. So Virgin doesn't have a partner that go to Dublin? Oh well. Worth a try.<BR><BR>When I fly from DC to Belfast via London, it's never the same airline on the Belfast leg. I usually book the tickets at the same time through the major airline (the one doing the international flights), so there's no problem getting checked through. However, I have bought tickets separately before, and the agents at the airport have booked me the whole way through (I was surprised at the time that they did this). <BR><BR>But it varies by airline, which is why I suggested contacting Virgin. Only they can tell you what their policies are.<BR><BR>I'm not familiar with the airport at Manchester, but when I connect through London, I don't go through immigrations or customs there, I do it at my final destination. Manchester may be different, since it's a smaller airport.<BR><BR>Regardless, I agree with Jenny about 3 hours. It's likely you won't need that long, but if you do have to get your bags and go through customs and immigration, and check-in with Ryan Air, you'll be happy that you have that much time. Definitely no less than 2 hours. Also, check with Ryan Air on what their policies are, regarding whether they'll rebook you for free if your flight from the U.S. is delayed, causing you to miss your connection.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 11:46 AM
Gregoryrobb

Ryanair do not accept through ticketing or check in luggage and you can't use frequent flyer miles with them &gt; If you flew Virgin to London and them Bmi British midland to Dublin then you can use FF miles.<BR>3 hours should be fine for Ryanair. I woiuld advise taking out travel insurance for delays.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 11:51 AM
kim

Maybe I am being brain dead (it has happened before!)...I didn't even think about Virgin's partner airlines, it would be great if I could go through their partner airlines. Thank you Ann and GregoryRobb for pointing out the obvious to me - sometimes it takes another perspective to see what is right in front of you!

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 12:16 PM
kim

So maybe I am not so silly after all. Virgin is definitely not the airline to do this on. They charge extra miles to use their partner BMI, & because I live in Orlando my Virgin flight goes to Gatwick, but BMI flies out of Heathrow. Virgin said I will still have to clear customs, transfer bags, and get transportation from Gatwick to Heathrow. Whew! I am back to Ryan Air because they have some flights out of Gatwick and can also do Manchester. <BR><BR>Anyway, general agreement seems to be 3 hours so that is what I will shoot for!<BR><BR>Thanks again for the help!