Search

Swisspass /Berner Oberland pass from Italy trip help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2023, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swisspass /Berner Oberland pass from Italy trip help

Hi
I am traveling with my two sons one of whom travels with a certified highly trained service dog due to his disability. We will be coming from Stresa Italy and going to Murren where we will be for 9 days. We have been to the area before but I came from Zurich not from Italy and I also forgot completely what tickets to got at the time and my kids were much younger then.
May older son is 19 so he classifies as an adult my younger son is 15, so a child and the service dog I dont know if he needs a ticket as he is a required working dog. We will be coming from the USA and will have all his paperwork. When we leave we will be going from Murren to MXP airport not through Zurich. I am not sure what tickets or passes to buy and you begin in one country and enter another. In addition I really don't know what we will be doing during our 9 days mostly hiking maybe down to Thun or Bern or Ballenberg for a long day so any suggestions on towns/ and good hikes would be appreciated . I want flexibility during those 9 days since I feel the weather, the service dog, and my son all factor into how we spend our days. thank you in advance for all your help.
Old Jun 12th, 2023, 08:05 AM
Forum Moderator

Moved from Tech Support and tagged for Switzeland
Old Jun 12th, 2023, 09:57 AM

The Domodossola (Swis border) - Muerren (and back) leg alone is not worth a railpass. All dependfs on the train and lift raides you intend to do in the Bernese Oberland (from Muerren).
How many adults will you be?
Have you any idea at which time you will land at start at MXP (different fares for different Swiss border bound trains and buses)?
Old Jun 12th, 2023, 10:02 AM

You can buy train tickets from Stresa to Lauterbrunnen (edit: and from Lauterbrunnen to Malpensa airport) from the SBB (Swiss federal railways) on SBB.ch or on the SBB app. Check their website or contact them to ask about youth prices and service animals. From Lauterbrunnen to Murren you can either take the cable car and narrow-gauge train or a bus and two cable cars; I think you buy tickets on the spot in either case.

That area is full of things to see and do. There's Murren itself (and nearby Gimmelwald and Stechelberg) with the surrounding waterfalls and cliffs, Wengen, Grindelwad and more villages to visit, there are various scenic cable cars and rack railways (to the Schilthorn, Jungraujoch, First, Schynige Platte, Harder Kulm, Brienzer Rothorn), there are the Giessbach and Recihenbach waterfalls, the Grosse Scheidegg road pass, boat rides on the Thunersee and Brienzersee, Bern close by, and Luzern and Montreux a scenic train ride away, and of course countless hikes, from easy strolls along valley floors to demanding ridge trails. You can easily fill several days. Edit: it's quite hard to recommend specific hikes without knowing well your fitness, experience and tastes, but you'll surely find abundant information about hikes in the area, given that this is arguably the most touristic area of the most touristic major mountain range.

Last edited by mbrevitas; Jun 12th, 2023 at 10:11 AM.
Old Jun 12th, 2023, 10:45 AM

Doesn't specifically mention service dogs but you can buy a ticket for the dog:
https://www.sbb.ch/en/timetable/travel-advice/dogs.html
Old Jun 12th, 2023, 11:19 AM

"You can buy train tickets from Stresa to Lauterbrunnen (edit: and from Lauterbrunnen to Malpensa airport) from the SBB (Swiss federal railways) on SBB.ch or on the SBB app" ..... but only for the (very few) expensive EC trains. Check first at which time you need to get a liift and choose then between Trenord, Trenitalia, Sacbo, Comazzi and Alibus, according to their timertables.
Old Jun 12th, 2023, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by neckervd
"You can buy train tickets from Stresa to Lauterbrunnen (edit: and from Lauterbrunnen to Malpensa airport) from the SBB (Swiss federal railways) on SBB.ch or on the SBB app" ..... but only for the (very few) expensive EC trains. Check first at which time you need to get a liift and choose then between Trenord, Trenitalia, Sacbo, Comazzi and Alibus, according to their timertables.
That's not true, SBB can sell tickets that include regional trains from Stresa to Domodossola and Domodossola to Brig, or a bus from Domodossola to Malpensa, or a regional train from Milano Centrale to Malpensa.
However, ticket prices might be cheaper when buying the Italian part of the trip separately, yes, or even buying a Trenitalia ticket that includes the EC and then an SBB ticket onwards from Spiez or wherever. Actually, given Swiss train prices, it's probably cheaper to buy a Saver Day Pass for Switzerland, which also covers the trip from Lauterbrunnen to Murren (which is not part of the SBB network, but the Saver Day Pass SBB sells you is valid there), and buy tickets separately within Italy (up to Domodossola), even if you take the EC directly into Switzerland and don't get off in Domodossola. What is cheaper also depends on how far in advance you book, since Saver Day Pass prices increase in time, and the cheaper EC tickets also sell out. It can be a bit confusing, yes. A single ticket for a specific connection all the way from Stresa to Lauterbrunnen (and then tickets on the spot from Lauterbrunnen) is probably easier, but pricier.

Last edited by mbrevitas; Jun 12th, 2023 at 11:55 AM.
Old Jun 12th, 2023, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for helping me.. I am still however a bit confused. what I understand is I should buy a Trenitalia ticket from stresa to SPIEZ ? and then a SBB ticket from Spiez to Murren ? IS that correct?
Also when I get out at the MXP airport and I am going to Stresa I was going to wait until I was at the airport to get a train ticket because if my flight is delayed or early I felt maybe I could take different train is that a good idea or not? Any ideas on if I should get a Bernes Oberland 1/2 price card for the other days or not ?
I am not sure about the dog either . I wrote and the dog can go as a service dog but it seemed unclear if they wanted Swiss paperwork for the guide dog. I have all the USA paperwork so I am still not sure about that
Thank you again I am very grateful
Old Jun 13th, 2023, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by elizabethG
Thank you all so much for helping me.. I am still however a bit confused. what I understand is I should buy a Trenitalia ticket from stresa to SPIEZ ? and then a SBB ticket from Spiez to Murren ? IS that correct?
You could buy a Trenitalia ticket from Stresa to Spiez and an SBB ticket from Spiez to Muerren (I was wrong about SBB not selling tickets to Muerren, they do), yes. But personally, I'd recommend either buying an SBB ticket all the way from Stresa to Muerren (easier), or buy a Trenitalia ticket from Stresa to Domodossola and then either an SBB Saver Day Pass or a Berner Oberland Pass (possibly cheaper, more flexible, recommended).

Also when I get out at the MXP airport and I am going to Stresa I was going to wait until I was at the airport to get a train ticket because if my flight is delayed or early I felt maybe I could take different train is that a good idea or not?
Those are regional trains, the tickets have a fixed price and are not for a specific train or seat, but for a route and a certain period of validity. There is no reason to buy them in advance, but at the same time if you do buy them in advance you could take a later train if you miss the one you planned. Still, the easiest thing is probably to buy them on the spot.

Any ideas on if I should get a Bernes Oberland 1/2 price card for the other days or not ?l
It might make sense to buy one, especially if you also use it to travel to/from Domodossola when you arrive and when you leave. But you'll have to check how much you'd spend for the railways and cable cars you plan to take while there to see whether it makes financial sense. Make a tentative plan of your days in Switzerland first.
Oh, by the way, there is no Berner Oberland 1/2 price card. the Berner Oberland Pass is an all-inclusive pass. The half-fare Berner Oberland Pass is a full Oberland Pass (includes all public transport in the area of validity) for holders of other cards/passes (most notably the Swiss Half-fare card, or Halbtax, hence the name) that entitle them to a discount.

I am not sure about the dog either . I wrote and the dog can go as a service dog but it seemed unclear if they wanted Swiss paperwork for the guide dog. I have all the USA paperwork so I am still not sure about that
Thank you again I am very grateful
I'm afraid I can't help, but I'd be surprised if they asked for Swiss paperwork. Double check with SBB staff.
You're welcome and enjoy your trip!

Old Jun 14th, 2023, 03:50 AM

If I understand well, you will land at MXP, go then to Stresa and spend a few days at Stresa. After that, you will proceed to Muerren. right?

MXP - STRESA
As I told you above, there are differnt ways to reach Stresa from MXP, according to your arrival time, namely:

Direct bus MXP - Stresa: MXP Terminal 1 dp 9.00 11.30 14.00 16.00 18.00 21.30. 1 hr journey. 14 EUR/pax. ONLY ON REQUEST https://www.safduemila.com/linee/ali...lago-maggiore/

Bus or train and train via Gallarate:
Train MXP/Terminal 1 - Gallarate, MXP T1 dp every hr from 6.19 until 22.19. Journey time 25 min
Bus MXP/Terminal 1 - Gallarate: MXP T 1 dp 8.30 9.00 930 10.30 11.30 13.30 15.30 16.30 17.30. Jouney time 20-25 min
Regional Express trains Gallarate - Stresa: Gallarate dp 8.00 9.00 10.00 14.00 16.00 18.00 19.00 20.00. Journey time 30 min. Not all trains are daily.
Regional trains Gallarate - Stresa. Gallarate dp 8.24 12.24 14.24 16.24 18.24 20.24. Journey time 50 min.
If you miss the ....30 bus or the .....24 train, you can try to reach the regional trains by taxi. In this case, tell the driver to drive you to Somma Lonbardo train station, where the regional trains leave at .....33.
Tickets at Gallarate from the counter or the ticket machine; at Somma Lombardo from the bar/shop on the left side the railway station building.

STRESA - MUERREN

Eurocity trains:
Stresa dp 9.20 (change a Brig), 12.20 (direct), 14.16 (change at Brig), 18.20 (change at Brig), 19.20 (direct). In all these trains, seat reservation is compulsory fro the Stresa - Domodossola leg only.
You may also take a Regional Express or a Regional train from Stresa up to Domodossola. These trains are usually half empty (on this leg), cheaper and can be boarded without seat reservation.
SBB/BLS trains from Domodssola to Brig (- Spiez) run almost every hr.
Reasonable connections of this kind might be Stresa dp 7.41 - Spiez ar 9.53, Stresa dp 15.15 - Spiez ar 17.23 (with 2 changes) or 17.53 (panoramic itinerary with 1 change), Stresa da 17.15 - Spiez ar 19.23.

EC trains should be booked 1 week ahead or so, for the others you can buy the ticket shortly before the train departure.

But before that, you must decide whether you buy a Swiss half Fare Card, a Swiss Travel Pass, a Swiss Travel Pass Youth, a Super Saver Ticket resp. Day Pass, a Bernese Oberland Pass or whatever...........
Old Jun 14th, 2023, 06:37 AM

To mbrevitas: The electronic timetable of Swiss Federal Railways shows you all locel trains between Domo and Milan, but if you try to buy a ticket, you get the followeing answer:
"this connection is not bookable online. Private customers can book this connection at the SBB Contact Center 0848 44 66 88 (CHF 0.08/min) or at the SBB Travel Center. SBB business customers (B2B) can contact the Businesstravel Service Center 0848 111 456 (CHF 0.08/min)."
Old Jun 14th, 2023, 06:59 AM

It seems that there is a IAADP helpline for inteernational travel Assistance Dogs Center - Umbrella Organization
The Swiss Federal railways have a hepline too, https://www.sbb.ch/en/help-and-conta...-mobility.html
but it seems that you already contacted them
Old Jun 14th, 2023, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by neckervd
To mbrevitas: The electronic timetable of Swiss Federal Railways shows you all locel trains between Domo and Milan, but if you try to buy a ticket, you get the followeing answer:
"this connection is not bookable online. Private customers can book this connection at the SBB Contact Center 0848 44 66 88 (CHF 0.08/min) or at the SBB Travel Center. SBB business customers (B2B) can contact the Businesstravel Service Center 0848 111 456 (CHF 0.08/min)."
No, I tried it before posting. I didn't actually make the purchase, of course, but it shows me a price (for instance, 80 Francs for Stresa-Muerren, 88 for Muerren-Malpensa via Domodossola and Gallarate, in both cases with no Halbtax and not taking the EC) and takes my passenger and payment information. It seems to work as long as one end of the journey is in Switzerland. However, it seems that you can only get it as a paper ticket, either delivered to an address of your choosing or printed at an SBB station in Switzerland, which would make it a bit cumbersome (but still feasible) for someone coming from abroad and starting the journey in Italy. I do think that a ticket within Italy to/from Domodossola and a pass (whether a Saver Day Pass, a Berner Oberland Pass, or something else) for Switzerland probably makes the most sense in this case. As you say, the Berner Oberland Pass only makes sense if they plan to use railways/cable cars while in Switzerland, not only for the journey in and out of Switzerland.

Last edited by mbrevitas; Jun 14th, 2023 at 12:10 PM.
Old Jun 15th, 2023, 06:02 AM

To mbrevitas: the SBB website is often rather confusing. For the moment, you can only buy tickets from Domodossola VIA MILANO CENTRALE to MXP.
Anyway, there is absolutely no need to buy local train tickets ahead.
Old Jun 15th, 2023, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Hi
So I went on the. trentila website and I see I can get the train from Stresa to Domodossla
then I went on the SBB website and see I can get a ticket from Domodossla to Murren and I looked at coordinating times.
Do I buy a point to point ticket on SBB its more money but am I secured a seat which I would prefer since we have the service dog... or do I get the saver pass which is valid the entire day in case I miss a connection ?
Any idea here and do I. get this now ?
thank you so much If it were just me traveling id wing it but with my son and his service dog I like to have everything planned out thank you again
Old Jun 15th, 2023, 08:51 AM

SBB tickets always com WITHOUT seat resesrvation.
Old Jun 15th, 2023, 09:47 AM

It is still wrong to say you cannot buy tickets from SBB for routes from italy to Switzerland going through Domodossola. You can, without taking the Eurocity or going through Milano Centrale. Try it yourself.
But anyway, yes, I agree it probably makes sense to make two separate purchases in this case.
Indeed, seat reservations are not included with SBB for domestic routes (and I'm pretty sure Domodossola counts as domestic for this purpose); you can reserve a seat here, for the trains on which seats can be reserved (not the IR/Regio, I think). In Italy, long-distance trains (Intercity/Eurocity and the Frecce) have a mandatory seat reservation, included with any ticket purchase, whereas on the regional trains no reservation is possible.
Old Jun 16th, 2023, 02:22 AM

It doesn't make any sense to discuss in this abstract manner.
YES, you can book certain trains via sbb or - of course - thetrainline - and others cannot be booked.
Most trains having their origine at either Domodossola or Brig start more or less empty and get crowded at Visp or - for BLS trains Domo - Spiez - Bern - between Ausserberg and Frutigen. But there are exceptions, according to weather, starting hour, weekday and school holidays.

As long as we don't know which train the poster plans to take (and at which date), we cannot give any good answer.