Reload this Page >

Swiss Pass Cost Comparison

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 08:18 AM
Bob Brown

One of the questions that I see often on this forum is: "Which Swiss pass should I buy?" The decision is not easy. If you want to buy some type of Swiss pass, here is a good place to start: <BR>http://www.sbb.ch:80/pv/sts_e.htm<BR>The choices are many. Other passes include the Berner Oberland Regional Pass (BORP) and the Jungfraubahnen Pass (JFP). The JFP features free rides in the immediate area around Interlaken and the Jungfrau. The Berner Oberland Pass (BORP) is valid in an area that extends from Bern to Zermatt.<BR><BR>The BORP is valid for either 7 or 14 days and includes either 3 or 5 “free days” with the other days offering rides at a discount. (In both cases the trip to the Jungfraujoch from Kleine Scheidegg is never free; the ticket is sold for 50% off. The JFP does NOT include the Schilthorn trip.)<BR><BR>Let's compare. The JFP costs 165 chf for 5 days. The BORP considered here is costs 195 chf for 7 pass days. A web site for the BORP may be found at: http://www.regiopass-berneroberland.ch/<BR>More information about the JFP can be found at http://www.jungfraubahn.ch/english/pages/RE/RE_AtSe5.htm<BR><BR>To help decide which pass, there is a price schedule for the JFP area at: <BR>http://www.jungfraubahn.ch/deutsch/pages/SE/SE_KrTe.htm<BR><BR>Although the site is in German, the names of the places are easily recognizable (e.g. Interlaken and M&uuml;rren), and the prices are in chfs and euros. The price tables have a drop down box with the caption "Einzelpreise ab". Click there and you will see a list of names like M&uuml;rren and Grindelwald. (Einzelpreise ab means one way price from.) Click on the name and the table will show different prices.<BR> One major issue to consider is a trip to the Schilthorn. The BORP includes the Schilthorn trip; with the restriction that the last section of the trip from M&uuml;rren to the top is sold at 50% of the list price. The JFP does not include it. <BR> Here are some sample cost comparisons with second class passes that I made to help me decide. Naturally, you would need to plug in your own figures. <BR><BR>BORP Base Cost 195.00 chf;<BR>JFP Base Cost 165.00 chf<BR><BR> P to P BORP JFP <BR>S'horn Murren 60.20 30.10 60.20 <BR>L'brunnen Murren 18.80 0 0<BR>L'brunnen-Kl Sch 46.20 0 0 <BR>Kl Sch Sphinx 99.00 49.50 49.50<BR>G'wald - First 46.00 0 0 <BR>Sub totals 270.20 79.60 109.70<BR>Cost of Pass NA 195.00 165.00 <BR>Pass Cost+Rides 270.20 274.60 274.70<BR> <BR>P to P = Cost of point to point tickets <BR>BORP = Cost of tickets on a free day bought with the 2nd class, 7 day, BORP<BR>JFP = Cost of tickets bought with the JFP<BR><BR>The abbreviations are for Kleine Scheidegg, Lauterbrunnen, and Grindelwald. The cost of the section between Kleine Scheidegg and the Jungfrau Sphinx Observation Building is figured at half of the round trip cost. The cost of the Murren - Schilthorn trip is figured at half cost on the BORP and at Full Cost on the JFP.<BR><BR>CONCLUSIONS<BR>As you can see in this example, the costs associated with the two passes are near the break even points. More travel with either pass will result in savings compared with point to point tickets. Less travel, or travel outside the pass validity area and time, would result in higher costs.<BR> <BR>If you are planning to travel outside of the JFP area, the BORP is probably your best buy. If your travel excludes the Schilthorn and focuses only on the JFP area, then the JFP is probably best. By sharing my ideas I hope I will help someone make an informed choice. It isn’t a cut and dried issue.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Muley twist

You don't really expect us to read names in German do you?

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Bob Brown

<BR> P to P BORP JFP <BR>S'horn Murren 60.20 30.10 60.20 <BR>L'brunnen Murren 18.80 0 0<BR>L'brunnen-Kl Sch 46.20 0 0 <BR>Kl Sch Sphinx 99.00 49.50 49.50<BR>G'wald - First 46.00 0 0 <BR>Sub totals 270.20 79.60 109.70<BR>Cost of Pass NA 195.00 165.00 <BR>Pass Cost+Rides 270.20 274.60 274.70<BR><BR>That ratty text editor ruined the alignment of the chart. That will teach me to get fancy with a bum. <BR>I will try again. If it flubs, then so be it. If you want it, perhaps I can email it, intact. Or send it as an attachment in Word form. <BR><BR> <BR>

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 08:25 PM
Lina

Get a grip. Who is going to read all that stuff? Just buy a swiss pass and be done with it.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 08:38 PM
Al Godon

Just go out and buy a Swiss Pass?<BR>Which one?<BR>You are one of those lame brains probably thinks any pass will save you money, which it doesn't.<BR><BR>The question is asked you know.<BR>I've seen it. Is that your answer?<BR>Just buy any pass?? Like buying a Zermatt pass for Interlaken??

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 06:53 AM
chris

I think the weather is the most important thing to consider in deciding which Pass to buy. Don't buy one until you get here.