Search

Swiss + Paris in May

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2012, 12:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swiss + Paris in May

Hi All,

I am planning a trip to Swiss + Paris around 11th May for around 8 days.
I wanted to know how will be the weather like during this time.

I plan to stay in Lucern (3 days), Interlaken (2 days) and then move to paris (3 days).
Will it be cold in these areas?

Also Is this the rainy season? I mean Can it be possible that an entire day is spoiled because of rains during this time. I have chosen this time because I heard that this is the best time to visit Swiss. So I assume the weather will be supportive during this time.

I have more questions to follow which I will post in later once I finalize the itinerary.

Thanks.
Old Mar 4th, 2012, 12:43 AM

In Switzerland It can either be rainy for a couple of days in a row or sunny. Or a mix of clouds and sun. It could be hot (like +30 Celsius) or pretty cold (like +15 Celsius and snow in the mountains above 1500 m).

In a word: Unpredictable. Chances for nice weather are better than for bad weather. But that's all one can predict.
Old Mar 4th, 2012, 01:15 AM

weather2travel.com review your climate guides. Was there last
May go yearly more or less cool not feezing cold colder in the Mountains lots of rain with fronts still. eurocheapo.com booking.com good info booking sites. Car more $ www.seat61.com train works better like a local hopping on and off for us these days.Fun scenic and WAY cheaper.

Happy Trails!
Old Mar 4th, 2012, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information.

I am planning the following excursions.

1) while in Lucern I plan to visit either Pilatus or Titlis. Which of these 2 are better in terms of view and activities.

2) While in Interlaken I plan to visit Jungfrau. I want to know how different is the Jungfrau experience from Tislis or Pilatus? Since it is a very expensive excursion so I will opt for it for good reasons only.

I will be having a Swiss saver pass with me. So how much will be the cost of each excursion (Titlis/Pilatus/Jungfrau).

Old Mar 4th, 2012, 08:48 AM

Pilatus and Titlis are very different. From Titlis you see the lakes, cities and flat lands as well as the Alps in a certain distance - Titlis is right *in* the Alps, so you are much closer to the really highest peaks and get the real *high* Alpine experience. As for activities - I think there's an ice cave on top of Titlis, and there's possibly sledding on the snow up there, but mostly it's all about the views. Unfortunately the funicular will not yet be in operation in mid May so the Pilatus experience is only half the fun compared to summer.

Jungfraujoch and Titlis are IMO somewhat similar, only that Jungfraujoch is more impressive, especially in summer.
Old Mar 4th, 2012, 10:31 AM

There are no guarantees about weather.

In general it will not be cold - except at the mountaintops - which WILL be cold since they are covered in snow year round.

As for rain - you may get none or it may rain every day. There is no possible way to tell. But I have been to europe about 90 times and it has rained on every trip except a few that were just southern Spain. So definitely bring a study folding umbrella, waterproof shoes and a thin rain jacket with a hood.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

I will be having a 4 days swiss pass with me.
Will that cover my travel from Lucern to Interlaken by Golden Pass Train or I need to buy the Ticket separately.

Also what are the discounts on Pilatus, Titlis and Jungfrau if one have a Swiss pass?

Also suppose I want to go from Lucern to Bern and come back on the same day. Then if I have a Swiss pass then do i just need to go to station and board the train or I need to book my seat in advance. Please tell me if we need to book seats in advance even if we have a pass and does doing that have extra cost?

Thanks.
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Hi All,

Finally I have decided on my tentative itinerary.
Please provide your valuable feedback.

Day1: Arrive Zurich airport in afternoon and reach Lucern by 5pm.
See around Lucern.

Day2: Mount Pilatus Excursion.
Day3: See around Lucern. (Is there enoughthings to keep me busy for full day or what are the must to for a full day in Lucern.)

Day4: Lucern to Interlaken by GoldenPass Line. Reach Interlaken around 12Noon and go to see Lauterbrunnen and Murren and Wengen. Come back and stay in Interlaken.

Day5: Jungfrau excursion full day.

Day6: Leave early morning for Geneva and leave luggage at Geneva station and go for Geneva city tour. Catch a train for Paris at 4:30pm from Geneva.

Day7: DisneyLand, Paris.
Day8: Paris city tour, Fffel tower etc.
Day10: Return early morning.

Can you please tell if this is a good itinerary and provide your valuable feedback.

Thanks.
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 09:32 AM

Day 2: Mount Pilatus excursion is only a half day. You could do some more sightseeing in Luzern that afternoon.

Day 3: If you saw enough of Luzern the previous day (it's up to you, depends on how many museums and churches you plan to see and how much time you'll spend there) then do a lake cruise, hop on and off the boats as you please.

Day 5: You cannot say in advance if the weather is ok for going up to Jungfraujoch. If it's cloudy then skip it - a waste of money. See the Ballenberg museum near Brienz and/or do a lake cruis on either lake Thun or Brienz, see a castle on Lake Thun e.g. (Spiez, Oberhofen, Hünegg).
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Need info on few more things.

There are 2 main routes from Interlaken Ost to Jungfrau.

a) Interlaken Ost -> Grindelwald -> Kleine Scheidegg -> Jungfrau

b)Interlaken Ost -> Lauterbrunnen -> Wengen -> Kleine Scheidegg -> Jungfrau

1) If I have a Swiss Pass then which section of the journey will be covered fully by Swiss Pass and on which section I will get discounts. I need this information to decide on the duration of the pass I should opt for.

2) I have a train reservation from Laussane to Paris at around 6pm. I plan to start early from Interlaken and reach the Geneva region. So what is the best thing to do. Should I go to Montreux or Laussane or Geneva. And what to do there exactly. I am not interested in visiting any Museums.

3) I will be having lot of Luggage with me (Cabin and Checkin suitcases). Do we have facilities to keep our luggage for 5-6 hours at train station. Where can I get this info about Luggage rooms and there charges etc.

Thanks a lot for this information.
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 09:07 PM

1) None is fully covered, reductions are the same on either route. Thus I recommend to go up via Wengen and down via Grindelwald.

2) I would take the scenic train Interlaken to Montreux via Zweisimmen - Gstaad and visit castle Chillon (which doesn't count as museum, right?) plus have a nice stroll along the lakeside promenade in Montreux. No time for more, I am afraid.
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 01:58 AM

3) Yes, there is manned office where you can leave your luggage. Open Mon-Fri 8-18 h, Sat 8-17 h, Sun 8-12/13.30-17 h

I.