Swiss lakes with elderly relatives

Old Oct 28th, 2014, 12:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swiss lakes with elderly relatives

Hi everyone
Just wanted some input on a trip to Switzerland in May 2015.
I will be travelling with my elderly in-laws on our way to Italy to see relatives.
My Father-in-law is quite spritely and mobile, but my mother-in-law finds it hard to be on her feet too much after a broken ankle 2 years ago (they are in their 70s)
We have 3 nights 4 days between Basel and Chur (doing the Bernina to Tirano).
I was thinking Lucerne, my FIL loves boats after a life as a fisherman. I thought my MIL would love the views. A place where she can sit on a balcony and see all the beauty. My question is whether we would be better to be in a smaller lakeside village. Money isn’t the only issue, but as our two children are with us (aged 8 & 9) we are a party of 6. Lakeside rooms in Lucerne are expensive. I wondered if Grindelwald would be better. Or whether we should stay in Brienz to have cheaper lakeside view. Or can anyone recommend a family run B&B anywhere in the region? I just don’t want my MIL stuck in her room, so a smaller place might be easier for her to move around, chat to people, eat fondue? My MIL has never been overseas before, and this will probably be her one and only trip. We will be travelling by train so I have been looking at places where we don’t have to change trains much. Thanks for reading,
Marcie
Old Oct 28th, 2014, 02:01 AM

Hi Pocket,

This sounds like a lovely trip!

I wouldn't head to Grindelwald, especially in May. May is between seasons in the high Alps, and you will have neither flowers nor snow. In fact, some Swiss people call May "mud month." For that reason, a destination on a lake is a great idea. Plus, as you say, your FIL would prefer to be on a lake!

I would recommend Weggis or Brunnen, both on Lake Lucerne, both small and wonderful towns. Hotels with lakeview rooms are about 100 chf cheaper in Weggis than they are in Luzern!

Will you be in Basel first, going there directly upon arrival in Switzerland? You can get from Basel to Weggis in about 2h with 1, 2, or 3 changes of train. For instance, you can leave Basel SBB at 12.04, change in Luzern for a ship, and arrive in Weggis at 13.53. You can get the exact schedules at

www.sbb.ch

I haven't ever stayed in Brienz, but have long wanted to. I don't think you could go wrong there -- the connection from Basel takes 2h22 with 1 change (Interlaken Ost).

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Oct 28th, 2014, 02:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply, swanda. Funnily enough, I had been looking at an apartment in a hotel in Weggis. Nice to know it's lovely. We end in Basel after 7 days cruising from Amsterdam. This is one of their bucket list things to do. I had no idea about mud!! Cheers for that. Will keep researching. P
Old Oct 28th, 2014, 02:45 AM

"the connection from Basel takes 2h22 with 1 change (Interlaken Ost)"

or 3 hrs 15 min if you travel via Bruenig Pass (with 1 change at Lucerne).

Lake Geneva (historic steamboats!), Lake Lugano and Lake Maggiore have the mildest climate of all Swiss Lakes (in May).
Tons of panoramic places above these lakes, like Caux, Glion, Mont Pelerin, Jongny, Gandria, Ruvigliana, Carona, Pugerna, Cademario, Morcote, Brissago, Incella, Brenscino, Ronco s/Ascona, Ascona, Orselina, Piazzogna.....

Bernina Express from May 9th until October:
Chur dp 8.32 - Tirano ar 12.45
Davos Platz dp 9.53 - Tirano ar 13.26
Tirano dp 14.20 - Lugano ar 17.30
short cut to Milan: Tirano dp 13.10 - Milan ar 15.40
http://www.montreux-vevey.com/en/cul...sure/must-sees
http://www.narcisses.com/narcissus.html#histoire
http://lugano-tourism.ch/en/35/lugano.aspx
http://www.ascona-locarno.com/en/com...gs/128399.html
Old Oct 28th, 2014, 04:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The problem with some of those fab above the lake places is, there is nothing much TO DO EXCEPT stare at the lake and that gets old even if you are "in your 70's" which I AM.

You asked about Grindelwald and mud or no mud, flowers or no flowers the views there are also spectacular but it won't be of any lakes (unless I missed one while I was in Grindelwald last year.

The purpose of my response is caution that you be careful not to give up everything else for the sake of a lake view.

I'm surprised nobody has suggested Montreux with its palm trees and micro-climate although it can be pricey and perhaps is pricier than any of the other places mentioned thus far.

As to the Bernina, I assume you have looked at the Rhaetian rail site, if not, here is a link: https://www.rhb.ch/pl/home
Old Oct 28th, 2014, 05:45 AM

I've done several lake cruises with my 80-something Mom on her visits to Switzerland. Her favorites are lakes Zug, Lugano and Thun:
- Zug because it's a smaller lake, so the cruise doesn't take as long, the views are beautiful, and the lakefront of this small town is attractive with a prety park and lots of benches. An aviary gives the kids something to look at.
- Lugano because it's more Italian, the scenery is stunning, but not in the typical Swiss Alpine way. There's always Swiss Miniature to entertain kids. But it's definitely out of the way for the OP's trip.
- Thun because the dock is close to the train station and the scenery is gorgeous. Thun itself is fairly compact and easily explored, with a handsome castle. And the arcades offer protection from the rain if the weather isn't cooperative.
Old Oct 28th, 2014, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I did the bernina a few years ago. Had no problem booking online. But we caught a train to Chur straight from Germany. We have never spent time in Switzerland. I really appreciate the input. Cheers P
Old Oct 28th, 2014, 08:26 AM

Another thought is Locarno on the Swiss part of Lake Maggiore. It's smaller than Lugano, with lots of hotels on the lake. It has boat trips on the lake to places like the beautifully landscaped Brissago or Borremean islands. And, from the middle of Locarno, you can take a funicular/gondola/ski lift combination up high above the lake, to the ski area of Cardada Cimetta. This is an easy way of getting high in the mountains with great views of the lake without much walking.

Con: not so many views of the Alps.

Near Montreux is the smaller pretty town of Vevey with the Train des Etoiles, the train of the stars, up to the lookout mountain Les Pléiades, with grand views of the Alps and Lake Geneva.

Depending on how bad your mother-in-law's ankle is, you might have to make a lot of adjustments, find wheel chairs, use taxis, etc. But this trip should make great memories for every one.
Old Oct 28th, 2014, 08:41 AM

The first time we took DDs (then 11 and 14) we did London and Paris in 2 weeks - and made sure they were heavily involved in picking out the sights to see.

Things they specially liked (but 11 and 14 girls are a lot different than 8 boy) were Covent Garden for the teen/tween shopping, Hampton court Palace (and all of the docents reenacting Tudor Time) as well as the obvious (Tower, British Museum) and in Paris the Cluny Musee (LOVED the unicorn tapestries) and the views from the Eiffel Tower (we had dinner there - but they are big fans of french food and used to lengthy meals - not sure about your kids).
Old Oct 28th, 2014, 08:58 AM

. We will be travelling by train so I have been looking at places where we don’t have to change trains much.>

Just a note on trains and the Swiss Pass which given your wide-ranging train trips from one end of the country to the other take a good look at a Swiss Pass, which also 100% covers those lovely lake boats (try to get on a vintage real steam-powered boat - I think there are a few of these others may look like it but are not.
And the pass lets you hop on any train anytime (or boat or bus or postal bus, etc which are also usually fully covered.

Best for families is the free Family Pass that automatically comes with the pass (well you have to ask for it) where kinds under 16 travel free always.

Due to your parents problems with mobility I would also strongly advise first class train travel - second class ain't bad but can get crowded at times very crowded - first class will always IME have oodles of empty seats - easier to stow luggage on nearby empty seat, etc.

anyways for loads of great info on passes and other things like the Half-Fare Card, Swiss Card, Swiss Transfer ticket and Swiss rail travel in general I always recommend these IMO superb sites: www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

Boat also have two classes and first class again is more relaxed and is on the open-air top deck at the rear of the boat (there are covered seats as well) and with a pass just flash it when the conductor comes around - no reservations needed.
Old Oct 28th, 2014, 04:07 PM
kja

Instead of a hotel with a view of the lake in Luzern, what about one with a view of the river and bridges? I stayed at the Hotel des Alpes for what I considered a very affordable rate. It isn't perfect, and some Fodorites have not found it to their liking, but it met my needs quite well.
https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Old Oct 29th, 2014, 09:39 AM

The classic Lake Lucerne boat trip goes to Fluelen at the tip of teh fjord-like arm of the lake - from there you can quickly take the train back to Lucerne. Stop off at one of the cute lakeside towns for lunch or have lunch on the boat! Or bring a picnic and sit up top in the first-class section and dine with a wondrously appetizing view!
Old Oct 29th, 2014, 12:35 PM

You ask about Grindelwald - well the views of glacier-girdled soaring peaks from your hotel balcony are ubiquitous here - but if just going for one day and wanting to do a lake boat trip then you would not have time for both.

But you may consider if wanting a smaller lake side city consider Spiez, a small town overlooking Lake Thun with a boat dock for floats around that lake over which the Jungfrau Massif looms in all its majesty. Spiez also has the castle of your dreams hovering high above placid Lake Thun - Spiez is smack on main rail routes to Zurich-Germany-Austria.

Lucerne and its area are neat but you do not see the magnificent Alpine Switzerland perhaps etched in your minds' eyes there - only in places like Zermatt and the Interlaken-Jungfrau Region.
Old Oct 29th, 2014, 01:34 PM

I stayed in an apartment in Brienz several years ago for 10 nights. Have you considered an apartment? Many require a 5 night minimum, but May is "preseason", so they may be willing to negotiate. My apt had a balcony with Lakeview. Brienz has lovely wooden chalets climbing the hillside, a wood-carving school, the cogwheel train up to Brienzer Rothorn peak, the outdoor history museum/park, Ballenberg; is close to Interlaken with its "chocolate tour" and folklore dinners in certain hotels, close to Thun with its shopping and castle, has multiple boat cruises daily, is close to Meiringen with Sherlock Holmes Museum, and for the more fit, a climb up to Reichenbach Falls. You might investigate.
Old Oct 29th, 2014, 01:49 PM

NYTraveler, I think your response belonged on a different thread, probably this one:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...th-kids.cfm?45
Old Oct 29th, 2014, 02:13 PM

We come into your category of 'elderly'. We visited Lucerne and Locarno last year and fell in love with both. In both places we could walk easily to the lake or around the town, take a boat trip, or take a cable car to see fabulous views. In Locarno we stayed at the Hotel Geraino and choose a room with balcony overlooking the lake. This hotel is five minutes walk from the train station.
In Lucerne we can recommend Hotel des Alpes with a room overlooking the river. Again a short walk or a very quick taxi ride from the station.
Old Oct 29th, 2014, 06:40 PM

Is it difficult for your MIL to go up and down stairs? If so, be sure to inquire as to whether there are stairs and how many, in any small hotel or b and b. You may be better off with a hotel or an apartment building with an elevator.

Also, would she find it easy or difficult to get into and out of a bathtub. I have found that many tubs in Europe tend to be higher than in North America and they can be challenging to the able bodied. Some times having the option of a stall shower rather than a tub/shower combo can be better.

lake views are nice, but if its chilly or rainy a balcony is not useful. your mil will want to see something besides a lake all day long, so be sure that there is enough to do, wherever you stay.
Old Oct 29th, 2014, 10:42 PM

Oh for goodness' sakes, Pal. Have you forgotten about the Alpine peaks of Titlis, Pilatus, Rige, et al?

I know you prefer the views of the Jungfrau area, but really, you cannot claim that the only places to see the magnificent Alps are the Jungfrau region and Zermatt.

s
Old Oct 29th, 2014, 10:44 PM

Sorry, that should be "Rigi," not Rige.

s
Old Oct 30th, 2014, 07:48 AM

Nope - I lapsed in not mentioning Engelberg which is a Alpine wonderland - Pilatus is not - rather a solitary Alp.

But yes Engelberg is right up there with the others - thanks for the reminder.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -