Swiss Hotel Picks

Old Nov 14th, 1998, 01:25 PM
angela

Swiss Hotel Picks

I need help finding accommodations with bath and breakfast (hotel room(s) or suite) for a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 children) in the following locations for summer 1999:

Zurich, Lugano, Appenzell, St. Moritz, Zermatt, Wengen, Lucerne.

We've considered apartments, but we have some fairly distant destinations in mind. The hotels should be very centrally located near restaurants, etc and should not cost more than $100-$200 (max!)/night for all of us, or we won't be able to take this trip at all...Please help because I really want to go...

Old Nov 14th, 1998, 07:56 PM
Anna

We were in Switzerland for 2 weeks in October. We stayed at hotels in some of the cities you listed. In Appenzell, we stayed at the Hotel Santis, we had a nice double room with bath for 180SF. The food at their 2nd floor restaurant was excellent. The hotel is located on the main square in the town. Just off the square we saw the Gasthaus Hof which was recommeded by Rick Steve's, the rooms looked nice in the pictures they had outside - I think they were 130 SF for a double with bath. They also have dorm style accommodations for 20SF each. We would have stayed there had we seen it before we checked into the Santis. The Gasthaus Hof has a bowling alley in their bar/restaurant area, which may be fun since you are travelling with children.

In Zermatt, we stayed at the Hotel Butterfly, it is part of the Best Western chain, but still had the feeling of a European hotel. We had a very nice room with balcony. We had a voucher for the room there, so I'm not sure what the cost would be, but you probably could find out at Best Western's website.

In Lucerne, we stayed at Zum Weissen Kreuz, around the corner from the river and the Chapel Bridge. We had a decent enough double with bath, again I'm not sure of the cost because we used a voucher that came with our package from Swissair.

In the Jungfrau region, we stayed in Gimmelwald, a tiny village on the opposite side of the valley from Wengen. We had incredible views of the Jungfrau across the valley. We stayed at the Pension Gimmelwald and had a double with bath down the hall for $70. The village of Murren is above Gimmelwald and is more touristy. We ate dinner at the Hotel Alpenruh, which was very nice, their rooms run up to 200SF.

We really had a wonderful time on our trip, but Switzerland is expensive. Dinners easily cost $75 (without wine), we found the Manora buffets to be tastey and much less expensive. You may have to sacrifice the bath in order to get a hotel for 4 people in your price range. You may want to look at Rick Steve's Germany, Austria, & Switzerland guidebook for some budget accommodations. Only 40 pages of the book are on Switzerland (out of 250), and out of the places you want to visit, he only covers Appenzell and Wengen. We also bought the Lonely Planet guide to Switzerland which was very good. We had the Swiss Pass for the train which turned out to be an excellent value for us. It saved us money on all of the expensive mountain railways and lifts (to the Jungfrau, Klein Matterhorn, etc).

Old Nov 14th, 1998, 10:27 PM
Carol

Angela try the Hotel Bristol in Zurich, our family of four shared a lovely big family room. We thought the price was great, easy few minutes walk into the center of town, near the station, all round it was perfect. Have a look at their web site, I think you will be pleased with it.http://www.eurospider.ch/zt/hotels/Bristol/Bristol.html
Have a wonderful trip.

Old Nov 15th, 1998, 09:00 AM
Mathias

Have a look at www.youthhostel.ch Because hotels are expensive in Switzerland, not only young people, but adults as well stay there.
Most of the 70 Swiss Youth-Hostels are very suitable for families and have rooms with 2, 4 or 6 beds.
I know that there are Youth-hostels in Lucerne and Zurich, about the other stations of your trip I don't know

Old Nov 15th, 1998, 12:19 PM
Richard Vicek`

Good afternoon, Angela
Here are a couple of more areas to surf.
www.hotelguide.ch/ (search each city and for all listings.)
www.rooms.ch/
www.swisshotels.ch/ (search city)
www.zurich.ch/
www.wengen.com/
www.stmoritz.ch/
www.parterre.ch/
www.facts.ch/
www.zermatt.ch/
www.appenzell.ch/
www.twenj.com/swissvisit.htm.
Good surfing, Richard of Hickory Hills,Il.

Old Nov 16th, 1998, 02:41 AM
angela

Thanks for all the good suggestions so far...I am also looking into apartment rental on a short-term (only 2-7 days) basis for part of the trip. Anybody done this (outside of Untours, for which 2 weeks per location is the minimum)?

Old Nov 16th, 1998, 08:38 AM
gina

Angela-lucky you! Here's a few suggestions that for my family were the highlights of our trips: In Wengen stay at the hotel Alpenrose. It is big and comfy with great views of the valley and glaciers and peaks, etc. It is run by very nice people. The food was to die for too. In Zermatt, we were lucky to stumble upon something really special. Don't stay in Zermatt itself. When you get there, ride the tram up the mountain a stop or two to the little town of Furie. There's a little hotel there called the Hotel Sylvana that has better views, no traffic, and even has a pool in the basement. You can easily get back down to Zermatt for shopping, etc. and if you want to go up the peak to view the Matterhorn, you'll already be halfway there. I would really recommend this. I don't think I would ever want to stay in the town of Zermatt. Have a wonderful time!

Old Nov 18th, 1998, 11:04 AM
Curt

In mid-october we stayed in Luzern at Zum Weissen Kreuz, around the corner from the river and the Chapel Bridge. The room was good, the hotel in good location, decent breakfast. Good Pizza place in hotel also. Cost as I recall either 120 ro 140 Chf for double with breakfast. Parking is major hassle if you have car so be warned. If by train the station is right across the river from hotel. The hotel is in old town and a pedestrian zone. I would recommend it.