Reservations to Eat in Paris?

Old Nov 13th, 1998, 02:15 PM
Kellie DuBay

Reservations to Eat in Paris?

I am leaving for Paris on the 20th of November and have not made reservations for any restaurants. Am I going to have difficulty eating at nice places? Where should I try to make a reservation to eat before I leave?

Old Nov 13th, 1998, 03:02 PM
Donna

It all depends on where you plan to dine and what time. If you are planning to dine at any of the Michelin starred restaurants (and note that many are closed weekends), you should make reservations right away. Many are booked months in advance. Other than that, it is wise to make reservations for weekend evenings and Sunday (as many restaurants are closed on Sundays) as soon as possible after you arrive. Reservations are generally not necessary for lunch. If, while wandering around, you find a place particularly appealing, be sure to go in and make a reservation. Note that, in Paris, for some reason, reservations are greatly appreciated, even if you call on your way over. Do not be timid - nearly all restaurants can take a reservation in English. If there is an immediate pause after you speak, just hold on for several minutes - they may have gone after someone who understands English to take your request. Or, have the concierge at your hotel make reservations for you. There are many websites where you can book online by e-mail. One is www.top-restaurants.com.

Old Nov 16th, 1998, 07:21 AM
Kellie

Thanks Donna for your reply. I will actually be in Paris on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I am hoping the one place I can eat is on the Eiffel Tower. I forget the name of the restaurant, but I think it is Altitude95. I have a feeling I may have waited too long--should have made a reservation months ago--but maybe I will get lucky!

Old Nov 16th, 1998, 04:30 PM
Dee

Kellie,
From reading responses on this site in the past, we thought we would need reservations for evening meals. We had a multitude of restaurants to choose from in the 6th arron. near our hotel so usually waited until we arrived "home" to eat and never needed a reservation. Most restaurants there post an English menu outside and one restaurant where we decided to eat (even though the menu posted was in French) did have an English menu for us to use when we asked about it. I guess the need for reservations depend on whether you are dining at a "hot" spot or are just looking for a nice dinner out. Our meals were wonderful there. It is a pleasant area to shop too, so if you find yourself in an area without restaurants, take the metro over to the 6th (Odeon or nearby) and you will find nice restaurants at different price ranges.

Old Nov 16th, 1998, 09:49 PM
Jody

With or without reservations, you'll find wonderful places to dine in Paris. If you have particular places in mind, reservations will assure you of a table at the time you desire. Call Altitude 95 right away and make a reservations if it's important to you, or have the concierge at your hotel do this. You may want to consider lunch at Jules Verne (the restaurant on the second level, A95 is on the first). Much classier, better view (request a "city view), a bit more expensive. But, worth it. I must say though, that, in my personal opinion, it's usually best to enjoy views and dining separately. Except, perhaps, for the Ceil de Paris at the top of the Tour Montparnasse. The views are magical and the food is excellent, and it's not outrageously expensive. Or, you could just go for drinks.

Old Nov 18th, 1998, 10:24 AM
Pepe Le Pew

Kellie: Here's a tip: Can you say Royale with Cheese?