JN
Original Poster

Swiss Flexipass Question for PalQ, Bob Brown or others

We're planning a future trip to switzerland. The itinerary at this point is:
1. Fly to Zurich
2. Train to Muerren
3. Train to Locarno
4. Train to Luzern
5. Train to Zurich airport and fly home.

We're considering the Swiss Flexipass because it's cheaper than the half-fare approach and it gets us into museums like Luzern's Swiss Transport.

Here's my question: If we buy a three day pass for the first three legs (getting us to Luzern on the last travel day), would the validity of the museum pass end on that last travel day similar to the Pass' half-fare feature that I could use between the first and last free days? Or could I use it anytime within the month?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 12:15 PM

Swiss Pass benefits totally end when you use up the last travel day

and you only get free admission with the pass on the days of 100% covered travel

you do not get 50% off on other in between 1st and 3rd or last days in your case

So you would best visit the Luzern museum the day you arrive in Luzern and then pay the train to Zurich airport in full perhaps - considering that is not that much - would be cheaper than buying a 4-day flexipass pass

half-fare of course is valid for a whole month but has no museum caveats that i know of.

But Swiss Passes do expire when the final day on a flexipass is used up.

You can take a boat from the Luzern train station to the museum as well - about a 20-min ride or hop a bus there or do a nice about three mile stroll on the lakeside promenade
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 12:44 PM

And be sure to make sure the museums you want to visit are open when you will be in town. I just recently had to shuffle my itinerary because it had me in Zurich on a jet-lagged Sunday and an all-museums-are-closed Monday.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 12:51 PM

JN

Pardon my brain fart

I do not know if the pass would be valid after you get to Luzern - that is if it expires when you get off the train and is technically used up

My feeling is that it would not matter.

But the only source i could refer you to in this country would be to call Byron at BETS 800-441-2387 as he will either know or find out IME - or e-mail sbb - Swiss railways sbb.ch

I'm afraid technically the pass may expire after the last train trip but language i've seen does say after the last day of 100% use which means it could be used.

I would be interested in the definitive answer.

sorry to not think this thru the first response.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 06:35 PM
JN
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you for your replies.
PalenQ:
Good advice on contacting BETS. I planned to do that after Fodorites like you gave your thoughts. I hadn't read enough on the Flexipass to realize that the museums were only free on travel days. Thanks for the tip.

A couple of other things:
--My read on the flexipass is that it would work on the last travel day even if I did not go beyond Luzern. Logically speaking, for all they know, I could continue on after Luzern. Best to confirm this, though.

--You mention: "you do not get 50% off on other in between 1st and 3rd or last days in your case". I Thought the Flexipass served as a half=fare card between the first and last free travel day. Am I wrong?

Thanks again.

Old Apr 24th, 2008, 07:30 PM

Whatever i may have mistakingly wrote the pass does give you 50% off everything that moves in Switzerland between the first and last days of 100% flexi days are used

25% on the Jungfraujoch trains is the only exception i know of (was 50% until mid 2007)

<A couple of other things:
--My read on the flexipass is that it would work on the last travel day even if I did not go beyond Luzern. Logically speaking, for all they know, I could continue on after Luzern. Best to confirm this, though.>

If you mean go on at 50% off probably if not technically

My experience with Swiss Passes is that train staff just glance at it and never scrutinize it - indeed i think you could easily use the same pass over and over from year to year
(not recomming this however)

same for museum 99% bet you can use it even though the pass may technically have expired (again not sure of wording on this - expire after last train or at midnight of last day of 100% travel

will be interested to hear definitive answer, if any i suspect as this museum aspect on last day on flexipasses surely does not come up often

But in practical terms i think you're home free and i would feel comfy doing it.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 08:51 PM

I would like very much to see the numbers that support your conclusion that the Flexi Pass is to your best advantage.

Given the trips to Locarno and from Locarno to Luzern, it may well be.

I spend most of my time in the Berner Oberland and/or around Saas Grund and Zermatt. Most of my transportation francs are spent riding the mountain transportation systems.

Usually we have a rental car, so travel between sites is not a factor.

When the pass expires it is all over and done. Like a prescription, even if you have refills left, you cannot get them after the expiration date of the prescription.

To paraphrase that great American philosopher Yogi, "Its over."

Make sure you check train schedules between Luzern and the Zürich airport. There are trains that require no change between the two points, but you need to allow time for check-in and security.

There are often long lines at the check-in counters unless you are early. So give yourself time unless you like close calls.

The first no change connection arrives at 6:13. The next no change connection does not get there until 8:13.

Two years ago when we flew home from Zürich, security was a mess because the Swiss authorities were removing the caps (tops) from all prescription containers and stuffing in paper as a makeshift replacement. When I asked why they removing container tops, I was told that TSA had requested it. I can only conclude that TSA issued some cockamamie directive written in typical governmental gobbledegook that had everybody mystified.

At any rate, that was what the Swiss decision makers decided they had to do.

As a result, just about all of us had to haul out our prescription containers and surrender the tops to the trash heap. There was considerable delay while all this container top charade ensued.

I got home with pills scattered all through my carry on luggage. (I have a 90 mile drive from airport to home. Next time I will count everything and try to leave with the exact amount +1 day just in case.)

I cannot help but wonder what surprises we will have in store for us in July when we board the same numbered Delta flight for Atlanta!!

Old Apr 25th, 2008, 04:10 AM
JN
Original Poster

Pal--Thanks again--especially for the clarification on the half-fare feature between the first and last Flexipass day. That was a relief.

By my comment on using the last day of pass use to get in museums, I meant as you aluded to: Use before midnight on the last free travel day. Again, I'll check with BETS.

Bob
I compared point to point travel with a half fare card to the cost without a half-fare card, to the cost with a 3 and 4 day Swiss Flexipass (saver--there are two of us). The most expensive was the point to point, half-fare was next, with the Swiss Flexi saver a bit cheaper overall by a nose.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 06:26 AM

I can see the logic. I travel less on the national train system where you pay nothing extra with the pass whereas I am in the mountains for a higher portion of my visit using the cable lifts that are half fare for both types of passes.

I have compared the half fare card with the Jungfrau regional pass.

Depending on what I do, the half fare card is a close winner to a clear winner.

For what you are doing the no extra charge rail travel would be a bonus.

As I have said, it all depends on what you do after you get there.

The Swiss Card will not help us this year because we plan to drive from Munich to Lauterbrunnen.

The half fare card helped us last year, but barely.

The museum entries are indeed a plus.

Old Apr 25th, 2008, 06:41 AM

To paraphrase that great American philosopher Yogi, "Its over.

or "It ain't over till it's over" and it may be that it's over at midnight on the final flexi day and not when you get off the train in Luzern but that is not clear

But i'd think regardless of the answer i'd try using it to get into the museum that day before buying my $20 or so ticket

And if the pass is a tad cheaper than Half-Fare card then the pass makes sense as you need not buy tickets on those three days and may do more than you think - like take a boat ride on Lake Luzern the day you get there, etc. And the $20 or so museum entry is another plus.

But for folks like Bob who don't rail to one place like BOB and just tour around there then either the half-fare card or no card, depending on how much you are doing and how long you are there is no doubt best or even the BOB regional and Jungfraubahn passes, though these are rather pricey and the Half-Fare card may be better for many than those. It all depends on what you are doing.
Old May 1st, 2008, 09:43 AM

The language taken from swisstravelsystem.com and obviously written by swiss railways or i would at least think says:

<On the days between the first and the last validated day, your Swiss Flexi Pass offers a 50% discount on train, (postal) bus and boat rides, as well as on most mountain-top excursions.

The Swiss Flexi Pass will offer 50% reduction on most mountain-top trains and cable cars and will also include the Swiss Museum Pass, allowing you free entrance to over 400 museums and exhibitions.>

I construe on the days thus as meaning not when you get off the train in Lucerne but the pass is good for that whole day and thus would be good for the museum that day as well
Old May 1st, 2008, 09:47 AM
JN
Original Poster

That's my take on it, too, Pal.
Old May 30th, 2008, 01:17 PM

Please let me and us know if that is so!
thanks