Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

SWF, w/ no sense of direction. Should I be scared to go from Venice to Milan?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 07:55 PM
Annemarie

Help! I love Italy, but this time I'm traveling... alone to Milan, Opeano, Verona, Venice and back to Milan...on a budget. Should I be concerned about the trip from Venice to Milan? -and from Milan to the Malpensa airport? I was in Naples two years ago and was harrassed (and I'm pretty tough to tick off!) really badly-which has since scared me! Any input would be wonderful, thank you! <BR>Am

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 08:44 PM
Art

Hi Annemarie, since I'm not SWF there is no way that I can exactly relate to your experiance, but I'm sorry to read about it. Usually, although the Italian men may be somewhat amorous, they usually do not harass. Art you traveling to Milan by train. You should be OK on the train. The best way to get to the airport might be a taxi or an airport shuttle. Maybe by bringing this to the top, someone that relates better may have some additional comments. <BR>I wish you a great trip. <BR>Regards <BR>Art <BR>

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 01:05 AM
SteveJames

Hello Annemarie, <BR> <BR>Like Art I can't exactly 'relate', - but I really don't think you need to worry about this anywhere in northern Italy. <BR> <BR>Steve

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 01:54 AM
s.fowler

Well as a SWF maybe I can weigh in here The key part of your post is "w/ no sense of direction" -- this may create an appearance to the locals that a person is vulnerable or, if a person make a "thing" of it ["oh my .. I seem to be a teensy bit confused..."], foolish or easy. I don't know what "w/ no sense of direction" means to you and please note the absence of "you" in the previous sentence -- but an important key to NOT being harassed is knowing where you are going and what is around you -- if this kind of planning/organizing goes against a person's "modus operandi" -- perhaps one needs to remind oneself that "rules" are different in different cultures and extra alertness while wandering is called for. And I agree with the "guys" that northern Italy will be less of a problem in general.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 05:22 AM
Anna

You shouldn't experience as much harrasment in northern Italy. I would recommend buying a small compass, I have one on a keychain from REI. It really helps in figuring out which direction to go.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 06:37 AM
Beth

Don't worry. Travelling from Milan to Malpensa is easy. We took the shuttle bus -- asked at the information desk where to find them. The trip from Venice to Milan also was super easy -- try to get on one of the CIS-Alpina trains (I think that's right). They're very modern and nice. If you're concerned about the train, get seat reservations a day in advance. Our experiences in Venice were wonderful -- it seems like a very safe city.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 06:45 AM
Berlin

I was a SWF with another SWF when i traveled from Milan to Venice 3 years ago. We were not so good with direction but i suggest that you arrive early, map out your train and when it should arrive. Ask 3 or 4 people to double check that you are correct. Then go get a snack and sit down somewhere and read. Then 20 minutes or 30 minutes before your train is to arrive, go to the proper lane and wait. Never lose your cool. The worst that could happen is you will get on the wrong train and waste time back tracking. Just be confident.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 09:14 AM
Book Chick

Annemarie, <BR>I would like to assure you that as Queen of the Geeks, if I could handle such a trip (and I did), you can certainly do it. Alone, as I was. In general, what you've read is correct. Men in the northern part of Italy will stare, but usually that's it. Some may say "buongiorno" or utter the English counterpart to you, but I can certainly say with confidence no one was rude. Please don't worry & enjoy yourself! <BR>BC