Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Last minute reservation for hotel in Venice--could use some help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 01:21 PM
Shelly

Hello all, <BR> <BR>I am trying to arrange a hotel reservation in Venice for next weekend (June 9-11). We need two rooms for 4 adults total (or a 4-person room as a last resort). We had reservations for later on in June but our plans have had to change. I have been trying for 8 hours straight and can't seem to find anything actually in Venice. I would be grateful if anyone would share any insider's tips or connections. It is my first time there I just want so badly to stay in Venice those two nights. <BR> <BR>Alternatively, if we simply can't get a room, we'll stay somewhere nearby. Although I really want to stay in Venice, I would also appreciate suggestions for nearby lodgings. <BR> <BR>Thanks so much, <BR>Shelly

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 01:46 PM
Jane

I really have no insider information but I thought I could make a few suggestions. I'm guessing that you had reservations for a later date that you had to cancel. If so, why don't you ask that hotel to help you find another place to stay (again I assume that they are full). The people that run hotels often have a very good network with other hotels/pensiones. <BR> <BR>Another option would be to contact the Venice Tourist Bureau and ask if they could help you out. <BR> <BR>A third option would be to arrive at the train station and try to book a room from the hotel reservation booth there. I tried that once in Florence and, frankly, it didn't work because the entire town was booked for a couple of conventions. I then moved on to Pisa and commuted in - not very satisfying. But it worked very very well when I was in Lucerne, Switzerland a couple of summers ago. Many people swear by those train station booths. <BR> <BR>Have you tried hotels on Lido? <BR> <BR>If you're looking for a town nearby, I hear Treviso is very nice and it is only 30 minutes away from Venice by train. But I know it just wouldn't be the same. <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 01:46 PM
joe

It's cetainly taking a risk,and I don't know your standards but you could just show up without a reservation. On two occasions I have simply turned left as I walk from the train station and then left again to find inexpensive lodging. You could use this as a base to trade up if you weren't happy.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 02:17 PM
Mariarosa

Hi Shelly! Have you tried www.hotelitaly.com, which is the site of Venere? They must have something for your dates!

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 02:55 PM
Beth Anderson

try Albergo Corona. <BR> <BR>It is in Rick Steves 1999 Italy book. <BR> <BR>or do a search on it, I stayed there a few months ago... <BR> <BR>cheap, well located, CLEAN. NOT luxurious though.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 03:44 PM
Rex

Amazingly, Venere.com has NOTHING. <BR>

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 03:57 PM
casey

dear shelly, <BR>My husband and I were I Venice last summer around the middle of July. The city is very crowded that time of year, however I did manage to book a room at the hotel metropole. It was a really nice hotel, and it was located right on the waterway. It was a little pricey, and it is a four star hotel. Good luck!

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 05:26 PM
Sue

Did you try Leon Bianco, a hotel that's received high commendation on this forum but isn't in any of the books? website is www.leonbianco.it. I haven't stayed there but am booked in September based on remarks here.Also somebody mentioned a Locando Artdeco or something like that.Sorry can't remember.Good luck

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 05:36 PM
Georgine

Dear Shelly, <BR> <BR>I don't want to add to your aggravation; however, have you tried the Hotel Giorgione? If they don't have two doubles, you may have luck with one of their suites (as a last resort). <BR> <BR>The loft suites are two separate areas--sitting room (with space for an extra bed) and a bathroom on the first level, and full bedroom in the second-level loft. Their regular suites are two separate rooms (on the same level) with an actual door separating the sitting room from the sleeping room. The bathroom is off the sitting room. Again, they have adequate room for an extra bed in the sitting area. Just a thought, if you are desparate.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 08:10 PM
Holly

Shelly - I've stayed at the Commercio & Pellegrino several times and highly recommend it. Give it a try: <BR>http://www.commercioepellegrino.com/ <BR> <BR>An alternative would be to contact Venice Rentals. They rent apartments by the night as well as weekly. They are at: www.venicerentals.com <BR>E-mail link is in the website. Denise, the owner, is American and you won't have any communication problems. Just make sure she understands your arrival and departure dates. (Inside joke) Good luck!

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 08:29 PM
Joyce

Shelly, I just looked at a couple of sites I had bookmarked and put your dates into hoteldiscounts.com. The message came up to "call 1-800-458-1227 for availability, no rooms available online for those dates". I guess it couldn't hurt to try! Also, you might want to try abouthotel.com They're a very large broker of hotel rooms - we used them to get a room in Milan last month. Wish you luck! Joyce

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 03:53 AM
Rex

Shelly, my mouth fell open when my search on www.venere.com yielded ZERO rooms for your stay there next weekend. <BR> <BR>I left the "other window" open to www.venere.com (for no particular reason), and because of the ("other")thread about hotel reservations (in Spain), decided to go back and just take a look at this one alternative strategy you might want to consider - - especially since it yields exactly ONE (and only one) hotel IN Venice with two double rooms for Saturday June 9 (only?) - - the Scandinavia, on Campo S. Maria formosa (Castello) - - http://www.venere.com/it/venezia/scandinavia - - looks more than nice enough (not entirely cheap at 450.000 LIT per double per night, but hey, that's Venice for you). <BR> <BR>But then, I decided to just try again and put in BOTH nights - - and hey it comes up as available - - so some hotels like this must have blocks that they release as time draws nearer (or cancellations occur) - - whatever the case, I suggest that you grab it NOW. <BR> <BR>What I had THOUGHT you should try is to secure rooms for the first night, and beg, beg, plead for an extension to the second night. But maybe that isn't necessary. <BR> <BR>Interestingly enough, although they presently show sold out for Wednesday, June 6 - - they are (this morning) showing quite wide open June 7 to 15 - - see this table - - https://cgi.venere.it/preno/avail.cf...17&ref=0&lg=en - - for the bigger picture. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 04:05 AM
Beth Anderson

seriously, I am not kidding - try Albergo Corona. <BR> <BR>very clean, very cheap, great location. I don't think many people know about it. it is not a hostel, it is a very small hotel. <BR> <BR>it sure ain't the Ritz, but if you need to stay IN Venice...

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 06:53 AM
Debbie

This same problem happened to us when we changed our plans to Venice. I have recommended this hotel(part of the Best Western chain) and have had several Fodors people write me and thank me when they got back!Go back under previous Venice discussions and you will see it. <BR>Its right across from the train station in Maestro(about 6 minute train ride across the water to the Venice).Its actually the last land portion before you go across the water.We called the hotel directly and got cheaper rate than the 800 number.We actually got a huge room with 4 twin beds that they called a family room-great big bathroom and super shower! <BR>The buffet breakfast in the morning was 5 stars with everything you would ever want:eggs,bacon,etc.The hotel is clean and very popular with business people and the various ammentities.Our family actually enjoyed it more than staying on Venice as it was nice to get anyway from ALL the tourist types at night.You would just get up in the morning,eat and then walk across the street to hop on the train across the water which provided you fabulous views! We used the public water bus the whole time over there to Lido,Burano,Murano,etc. It was the best thing for us as we had a veryearly flight out of Venice one morning and the taxi was called the night before with no problem or hassle. Hotel staff were very helpful. Good luck! Debbie

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 06:58 AM
xxx

....and the name of the hotel is what, Debbie?

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 11:13 AM
shel

Thanks for all the help!! <BR> <BR>It all worked out. Holly's suggestion saved the day, as VeniceRentals was the only hotel/rentals place that had available room at such short notice. We tried everything and they are the only ones that came through for us. The apartment was clean and cute and it worked out great! I loved Venice and I am so glad we stayed in Venice itself. <BR> <BR>One suggestion for anyone headed to Venice: bring your insect repellent. I got a few mosquito bites. <BR> <BR>I knew I could count on my Fodorite friends. Thanks again for helping us have a great trip!! <BR>Shelly

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 10:01 PM
Holly

Shelly - Glad it worked out for you. I'm curious - which apartment did you stay in? I was in the San Aponal in April; came complete with a house cat!

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 09:34 AM
Shelly

Gosh--I don't know the name of the apartment we stayed in. It was very near San Marco Square, above a small restaurant in an alley just of a main shopping road (road? alley? Whatever you call them in Venice). The apartment was small but spread out over 3 floors which gave the illusion of space. Fortunately for me it didn't come with a cat (I am allergic!) <BR> <BR>Thanks again Holly! <BR>