Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Sweating bullets - NO PASSPORT - leave in 5 days

May 17th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Applied Feb 28. Did not expedite (No lectures please. Hindsight is 20/20.) Leave next Wednesday, May 23, from Birmingham, AL.

After days of trying to make an appointment in New Orleans (a 6 hour drive), finally got through and the recording said there were no appointments available.

Is there any use to drive to N.O. without an appointment?

Can we sue the government if things don't work out?

May 17th, 2007, 10:21 AM

Suing - I doubt it. Contact your Congressperson now! That has worked for many people.
May 17th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

I don't know if it makes any difference but it was a renewal for my son who was only 13 when his first passport was issued.

I'll try my congressman right now.
May 17th, 2007, 10:23 AM

No, you cannot sue the government for this.

I thought someone here posted their experience on this a while back---they called and were able to track it in the system, and pay a very high fee to have it expedited at that point. It's worth a try.
May 17th, 2007, 10:28 AM

Why would/should you be able to sue for your own negligence??
Over and over again we hear in the media how long it's taking for initial and renewal passports.
You are right, hindsight is 20/20.
May 17th, 2007, 10:46 AM

In the meantime you might just want to check the status here. I sent my renewal in on 1/29 and received it last week. Good luck.
May 17th, 2007, 10:48 AM
LN

That timeframe is just short of 90 days or 3 months. It seems to be an inordinate amount of time tied up at the State Dept. Please call your Congressman and also try the State Dept Washington DC Passports Division.

Outside of planning trips 6 to 12 months in advance I see no evidence of negligence and no need of any lectures.

Good luck
May 17th, 2007, 10:48 AM

We had a similar problem in March--my kids and grandkids all applied in early Feb for our trip April 4 and nothing was in the system.

Our Congresswoman, Deb Pryce, got immediately on it and they were found, processed, FedExed to us within a week--with no additional charges.

Good luck and have a great trip!
May 17th, 2007, 10:57 AM
LN

I apologize - you don;t need good luck - here's some help!

Call the Stsate Department NOW
National Passport call volume is heavy but they are open 6 am to midnight.

1-877-487-2778

You can also (after calling) into the information at this website but that will not give you information for a few days.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/abo.../npic_898.html

I truly hope and believe that calling the Passports office in the State Dept will get you an expedited passport. You shouldn't have to drive to New Orleans - the information should always be available in Washington.

Also - call your Congressman and Senator.
May 17th, 2007, 11:04 AM

You left ample time - and more - to process your passport according to the timeframes given. There is another thread about this where the passport applications were found, processed immediately and Fed Exed to the family. I would not accept having to pay any extra fee since you applied before the stated 10-12 week time period.

Follow the advice given here and call your Congressperson AND every number given above -now! I wouldn't stop at just one call.

Good luck - as if getting ready for a vacation isn't enough to have on your mind.
May 17th, 2007, 12:10 PM
LN

Your Congressman from Birmingham

Spencer Bachus should be able to help too

202-225-4921 Washington DC
205-969-2296 Birmingham

or Senator Jeff Sessions

205-731-1500 Birmingham
202-224-4124 Washington DC

Get as many people involved as possible, and necessary, to get this passport FEDEX'd to you.

Don't be concerned about sueing the Fed - NO CAN DO.....

But please let us know if you get off to Europe on the 23rd and if the passport arrives.
May 17th, 2007, 12:11 PM

Hershey, TAKE THE DRIVE TO N O... my friend has experienced the same problem. She applied on 2/28/07 and was told she would have it in 8 - 10 weeks. She called the passport agency 2 weeks ago right before midnight and she was able to speak with a rep who proceeded to tell her NO PROBLEM... It should be there by 5/15. We are leaving to Europe on 5/24. Because of my constant nagging and complaining she went to the passport agency in Miami yesterday without an appointment and was able to get a temporary for 1 year.

It is very important that you bring with you a new set of pictures and all your paperwork completed (go online and fill out another application), all your proofs of ID and other documentation needed to apply for a passport, along with your travel receipt/itinerary and your passport application receipt.

They will not let you miss your trip once you show up trust me!!!

Good Luck!!!
May 17th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

That 877-487-2778 is the number that I have been calling (both my son and I have it memorized). It was only this morning that we were finally able to get further than "we are so busy, call back later." CLICK. This morning we actually got through to the menu to make an appointment but there were no appointments available in our timeframe. CLICK.

I called the visalady but I can't afford $700 more dollars for the service. Sorry, I just don't have the money for that.
May 17th, 2007, 12:14 PM

We applied for our now 14 year old (with an expired passport) on March 25 and received the renewal on May 16. Fingers crossed for you!
May 17th, 2007, 12:17 PM

I hope you get your passport in time!

I am starting to really worry here - I applied for my children in Feb for a June 28th trip - thinking NO problem..still NO passports - they will not even start looking for it till we are two weeks out...
May 17th, 2007, 12:27 PM

We are still waiting on my sons paasport also. Applied March 13 for travel May 31. I FINALLY got through on the passport number 1-877-487-2778 but had to keep going back through all the menu choices without hanging up before I finally got connected. They told me my son's was halfway through the process but they would call and expedite and it would not cost me anything. Keep calling and don't hang up. just keep going back to the main menu and back through until you get someone.
May 17th, 2007, 12:30 PM

BTW... My friend did not have to pay extra for that temporary passport.
May 17th, 2007, 12:36 PM

Hershey,
QUIT calling that number and start calling your congressman. If you have not done that you have wasted another day.

Call your congressperson several times a day until they get you an UPDATE! All of the decent ones have teams working on this for thier citizens. (if they would like to be re-elected it's in their best interst to help you...) If your's doesn't get them started on this. Make it clear YOUR vote is tied to this LOL!

Those of you who are getting the run around of "we won't look for it until two weeks" out. CALL your Congressman/woman. 1. Thier JOB is to serve you and 2. They fund this idiotic agency that is still trying to blame this on "spring break" ....
May 17th, 2007, 12:52 PM
LN

Now I am really puzzled as I just called 1-877-487-2778 and (surprise!!) I got through at 4:45pm.

They are ONLY accepting calling where the passport is for international use and needs to be used within the next 14 days.

As we keep trying to tell you keep calling and have someone call your congressmand AND Senator too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO