SW Tuscany/Il Pellicano

Old Jul 13th, 2003, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SW Tuscany/Il Pellicano

I'm having trouble finding reviews of Tuscany's SW coastal area. It seems the Grosseto/Monte Argentario area is less popular than the hill towns.
Can anyone review this area for me?

Also, we're planning on staying at Il Pellicano. Has anyone stayed there recently? The last 1st hand post is from 2001!

Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 01:40 AM

Recently? No, but I have to tell you how much we enjoyed Il Pelicano in 2001! Great place to relax and the service was wonderful. Daily lunch BBQ poolside was very memorable. But, I believe the rooms vary in size/decor so you may want to be a bit picky.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 03:39 AM

Josh - Grosseto is not really a tourist destination - unless you are interested in Etruscan ruins. If you are, you may find nearby Roselle very interesting.

If you are in the area don't miss Castiglione della Pescaia.

Monte Argentario is a scenic peninsular which is a popular holiday destination for Italians - especially for Romans. It's usually very busy in high season - though relatively undiscovered by foreigners.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 04:34 AM
jmv

Sorry my time at Il Pelicano predates the more recent 2001 report also, but I can't imagine that it's anything but wonderful. We've traveled in Europe for 30 years and would rate Il Pelicano among the top 5 or so hotels we've stayed in. It's actually a resort rather than a hotel and it's geared to relaxation. The main part of the hotel and the dining rooms are about midway between the sea and the top of the property. Cliffs to sea (which you can get to I believe by elevator) with some private sunning areas on the rocks, a beautiful pool, then a stretch of grassy area with tall, tall umbrella pines through which the wind whistles making the most soothing sounds. You can sit on the deck of the main building and listen into the night while the pianist in the bar accompanies the pine sounds with lovely soothing music. The guest rooms are in little cottages up the hill from the main building. I expect some are singles, we shared a two-unit building with another couple. Rooms had tile floors, lovely appointments, slightly old-fashioned tubs but Bulgari toiletries. Food was good and excellent service. As we checked out the couple ahead of us were booking their room for "same time next year" One of my favorite things about the place is their total no cell phone policy. They're serious about offering their guests a relaxing, wonderful stay. We left the place to have lunch in San Stefano. It's a cute place with a lovely little harbor but if I went again (and I certainly hope to) I don't think I'd leave Il Pelicano. It's just too pleasant to tear yourself away from. Enjoy.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 10:37 AM

Hi Josh,
As Steve James says, this is a fairly untouristed part of Tuscany though a very upscale weekend getaway for many Romans. Having been in Tuscany dozens of times, I will make my first visit to Argentario this September and can't wait! We'll be meeting up with friends who just love it there and from their photos, it looks gorgeous. We will be near the end of a 3-week sojourn and thought 2 nights on the coast before heading into Rome to fly back to real life would be just the thing.

We had reservations for 2 nights at Il Pellicano but when I had to change the dates they were sold out. We were quoted 770 euro for a junior suite with sea view (was around 900 half board) but standard rooms start about 550 euro--and they still sell out. In other words, book early! We found alternate lodging in Porta Ercole but will go to Il Pellicano for one each: lunch, drinks, dinner!
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 11:44 PM

Why, JMV, your description is much much better (and more poetic) than mine! Now YOU made ME want to return! It really was just as you described.