Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Tuscany Chianti - Split 6 nights among north and south?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
we are going to be in from October 13-26 and are trying to paln our our schedule right now. We are curently looking at 6 nights in Ttuscany and are thinking of spliting the stay - wondered what your opinions are?

We are thinking of San Quirico d'Orcia for a few nights (palazzo del Capitano) and then moving up to San Gimignano (Relais Santa Chiara) for the last few nights. We have stayed in Colle Val d' Elsa before and like staying on the edge of or in a small town - we love wine country and want to get a better feel for Montalcino and the southern part of Tuscany this time, but also go back to the Chianti Classico area closer to Siena and Firenze. We are also looking at Radda or Volpaia...Any suggestions are welcome.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 10:10 AM

I think it sounds like a good plan - we did something similar on a trip. We stayed 3 nights in San Gimignano (at Antico Pozzo), getting to know Chianti, then drove to Locanda dell Amorosa (Sinalunga)for 3 nights and experienced the world of Brunello. We had a great time. Happy travels!
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 10:23 AM

We haven't done it yet and it is my first trip to Italy, but in Sept we chose after several nights in Rome to go to Locanda dell Amorosa also! dorkforcemom, what is your opinion after being there?! Any hints for itinerary, driving, towns near by? Did you take a day to go to Montelcino? Brunello, yum! And then we have 3 days planned at Villa Casalecchi in Castellina in Chianti.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 10:40 AM

PeggyE - Locanda dell Amorosa is my favorite, favorite place to stay! (and we've been so fortunate to have stayed in some spectacular places). We upgraded to a "superior" (I think it was called) room. My brother & his wife had a "superior" room in the wing to the left (if you're standing facing the well in the center) and we had a room in the wing to the right. I liked our room much more than his as we had higher ceiling which gave the feeling of a larger room. Anyway, everything about the place was wonderful. The breakfast was delicious, well-appointed and in a beautiful setting. In the late afternoon (also in September), we would sit outside to relax and catch up on reading - they came by to take wine, or cappucino orders and bring cheese selections for us to sample (all complimentary if I remember correctly).

We ate dinner one night at their restaurant. The chef from their restaurant would run over to their garden to pick fresh herbs for that evening's menu. We ate one night in the restaurant - it was very elegant and delicious but my husband & I prefer overall simpler dining experiences.

The staff couldn't have been more helpful. Each morning they helped us map out (literally) our day - making reservations and providing advise. I purchased an antique music manuscript. They kindly found cardboard & wrapped it securely so as not to damage the piece. Obviously, I could go on and on - we walked one evening among the vineyards and they had put drinks by the pool for guests to enjoy. The small refrigerator in the room was not a typical honor bar - everything was complimentary.

It was a romantic place with an adorable chapel to inspect. Have your picture taken by the well - which was filled with flowers.

Our day trips: we easily explored Montepulciano, Pienza, Montalcino, heard the chants at the abbey, did a tour at the Barbi winery (near Montalcino) - hope you find this helpful!
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 11:55 AM

montysc...I think your plan is a good one. The formula for falling in love with San Gimignano is to spend from late afternoon til evening...and early morning until around 11am. During the day the bus loads of tourists take over the town and it is best to be elsewhere during those hours.

We walked around the walls in the early morning and it was the most memorable experience of our trip. The views are jaw dropping. Make sure you eat at Chiribiri...the pumpkin ravioli is to die for. Make a reservation as they only have a few tables and we saw people being turned away. They accept cash only and the service is very attentive.

San Quirico is a charming town and makes a good base for the region. We just loved this area of Tuscany. Please make sure you do the drive from Pienza to Montipulciano by way of a small town called Monticchiello. The scenery is like a painting...you can't believe what your eyes are seeing. The La Porta restaurant is our favorite of our trip. Arichokes in pecorino and pecorino gnocchi..yum!! I dream of this place.

The towns in this region are wonderful but the countryside is the main attraction in my opinion. You will love it. We stayed 3 nights but next time we would love to spend a week in this region and get to know it intimately.

Enjoy planning and good luck
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 12:46 PM

I like it---you will have fun !
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Last trip in the area we did visit Pienza and Montepulciano, but I couldn't convince my wife to visit another town that day - this happened to be Montalcino. Since that time she has discovered Brunello and she kicks herself now for not giving in to my idea. We hope to enjoy a few days there now!
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 01:39 PM

montysc,
Send me an e-mail and I'll send you some day trip suggestions for Tuscany.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 02:18 PM

Its a great plan and sort of solves the frequent dilemma of which area to stay in.

We stayed in Villa Vignamaggio north of Siena and did day trips to San G. and Radda. Radda is not my favorite place. Just didnt woo me like everyplace else did.

Villa Vignamaggio.com
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 02:18 PM

Sorry, its vignamaggio.com
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 03:40 PM

montysc

Spliting the 6 nights between north and south is a good idea and San G and San Quirico are good base in those regions.

I spent 4 nights last month in Montalcino and did daily trips to the various towns mentioned in this thread. Although the northern towns such as San G, Siena, Volperra does not seem far on the map, the drive from Montalcino to them was quite time consuming. Naturally visiting nearby Pienza and Montepulciano was a only a short drive away.

When staying in the south, visit Poggio Antico for its Brunello, this winery is located near Montalcino, past the main town on the way to Grossetto.

Enjoy!

S
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 04:26 PM

Last year we traveled to Tuscany and our itinerary was similar.

We stayed at Palazzo Del Capitano (stayed in the Capricorn room. It was huge!)

Then we traveled north and stayed in Radda. I forgot the name of the hotel but if you want it let me know and I can get it for you.

Radda was a great location to visit Volpia (our favorite town), Panzano, and the other towns in the area.

You are going to love Tuscany.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 05:47 PM

I like your plan, and your bases are excellent. You will have a great time.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 06:16 AM

I appreciate the info also. Thanks dorkforcemom for the Amorosa info. I know I can relax a little since there are people there than can help plan our days. We splurged & got their top floor suite with a balcony & terrace. I can't wait! You painted a lovely picture.