Search

Sushi in Paris?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2003, 07:59 AM
PBT
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sushi in Paris?

I am looking for recommendations for a fine sushi joint in Paris. I am not necessarily looking for a Nobu equivalent but something of that caliber, a consensus "top 10" establishment, would be ideal. Alternatively, is there a good web source where I can read customer reviews of Paris restaurants (like Citysearch)? Thanks.

Old Nov 10th, 2003, 08:05 AM

Maybe Chowhound includes reports from outside North America. Just guessing.
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 08:14 AM

http://www.sushi.infogate.de/rest/eu_france_paris.htm

http://sushiref.com/listings/eu/fr/paris/

http://www.kaiseki.com/
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 08:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
PBT, there was a very good Sushi bar at the Galeries Lafayette.
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 10:25 AM

On restaurants in general in Paris, try:

www.welcometoparis.it/
This is an Italian site with a few choice restaurants. Good place to start.

www.resto.fr
A fuller French list with about 1,500 restaurants.

parisrestaurants.com
Lists by arrondissement

All three have an English version, just click on the British flag.

Once you know the name of a restaurant, you can do a general search under a search engine like yahoo, which will bring up a whole bunch of Paris restaurant sites where you can do quite a bit of research. This is the way we usually research a restaurant whether here or in Europe.

We like the onion soup at Au Pied du Cochon in the old Les Halles.

easytraveler
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 10:35 AM

I've had sushi at a few restaurants in Paris, most recently Lo Sushi and Matsuri. Lo Sushi is a kaitan (conveyer belt) sushi place, just off the Champs Elysees. Not the best sushi I ever had, but ok and the atmosphere is lively.
Matsuri has better sushi, more choices, and has a few lunch-crowd outlets (under the Palais des Congres at Porte Maillot, for example). Although I like to try good sushi places in Europe whenever I can, I find that most of the "best" sushi bars in Europe simply don't compare to the quality and variety of sushi I found routinely in the Pacific NW and Vancouver, BC. My quest for places that use real crab instead of surimi (obligatory in the NW, no one would DARE give you fake) and yellowtail (available almost everywhere in the NW) is often fruitless...
P.S. Of the sushi review sites, I found "sushi infogate" (mentioned above) the most helpful. But they depend on individual feedback, so if you do have sushi in Paris, please contribute a review!
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 10:37 AM

On a related note, one of the best places to get sushi in Europe is in Aachen, Germany. They have so many Japanese working there, that a few really good sushi bars have sprung up. Not a place you'd normally associate with good sushi, but still...
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 10:55 AM
PBT
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions. I too was largely unimpressed with the quality of sushi I had during my trips to London and Copenhagen. Curiously, some of the best sushi to be found in the U.S. midwest is in little towns around Toyota plants in Kentucky (according to a sushi connoisseur friend of mine who lives there).

Old Nov 10th, 2003, 11:39 AM

BTilke, I heard too, Vancouver has many sushi restaurants, with great quality at very low price. I'm yet to try a "kaiten"zushi outside Japan.

PBT, according to a Japanese friend of mine living in Paris, Isami on l'ile St-Louis could be the best sushi restaurant in Paris,rather a small place which serve authentic sushi but expensive. When I was in Paris last August, I did not try Isami but while I was in the opera area, I had a lunch at Fujita on Rue Saint Roch, also recommended by my friend. Chirashi-zushi lunch including a starter, soup,and tea was 11 euro. Great price/food quality! Also a small place and was full of local business people.
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 04:16 PM
mjs

I have never eaten Japanese food in Paris so I have no personal recommendations but my 2002 Zagats rates Isami quite highly.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 06:01 PM

I'm not one to eat sushi in Paris, either, but we're looking at carbo loading before the Paris Marathon. When you say "not the best sushi you've had," Do you mean it was not fresh? I just don't want to get sick. maybe I should just settle for chirashi.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 09:36 PM

It's fresh enough, just there isn't much variety, they use crab stick instead of real crab (grrr). Once you've lived in the Pacific NW, where top quality sushi can be found so easily, other places just don't measure up.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 04:08 AM

BTilke,
next time I pass through Aachen, I'll be sure to stop for Sushi. I agree with you that sushi in europe cannot compare to what you can find in metropolitan areas in the US--especially the NW. I was accustomed to good sushi in Washington, DC but since moving to Munich, it's been a struggle to find someplace decent.
In case you're in Munich, the best place to get sushi without paying an arm and a leg is 'Shoya' located, of all places, right across from the Hofbräu house (perfect locale for all the visiting Japanese tourists!).
If you are, however, prepared to give up an arm or leg for good sushi, then restaurant 'Lennbach' is the place.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 04:28 AM

PBT, I envy you bad !
I wish I had this kind of problem to worry about

P.S I was just thinking yesterday if sushi considerate as healthy/fat free food ?
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 04:51 PM

Hi,

Some of these links might assist you I hope:

http://www.parismustsee.com/restaurants.php
www.sushi-wasabi.fr
www.losushi.com
www.matsuri.fr
www.sushiprovidence.com

Those are some Sushi in Paris.

Regards,

Rasya

Did you know there is a new cool and intimate new sushi place in Rome which offers high quality Japanese foods for eating or take-away, and offers great hand-made cakes and free wifi to all customers? http://naoko-sushi-roma.blogspot.com/