surbiton to wimbledon:transport

Jun 11th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Original Poster

surbiton to wimbledon:transport

I have been jammy enough to land two centre court tickets, but only just found out. The place we normally stay at (Wimbledon) is booked up which is hardly suprising given the lateness. We have found a hotel in Surbiton which has vacancies.Its not far from Kingston upon Thames. How easy or hard is it (and how long a journey)to get to Wimbledon from Surbiton? Also any recommendations for eats in Kingston? Many thanks.
Jun 12th, 2007, 12:32 AM

From Surbiton, there are frequent trains to Wimbledon with a journey time of around ten minutes.
www.nationalrail.co.uk
Jun 12th, 2007, 03:44 AM

Bear in mind you'll have to get the shuttle bus to the tennis from Wimbledon station, otherwise you've got a long walk:

http://aeltc.wimbledon.org/en_GB/abo...transport.html

Jun 12th, 2007, 05:18 AM

Ah the annual nightmare looms again....

Surbiton to Wimbledon is a doddle - there's loads of direct trains and it will take about 15 mins.

However "Wimbledon" isn't in Wimbledon - it's in Southfields (home of your's truly until January). There's two ways to do it. Either stay in the station and get any district line train into town - Southfields is the second stop (and this would be covered by a travelcard). Alternatively you could go on one of the special buses fro the station forecourt straight to the courts - but they charge for this. (For completeness you could also get the 156 bus from outside Smith's but that's a bit mad)

If you go for the tube, when you get out at Southfields - go down Arthur Rd (not that you'd be able to miss it).

Is it really that time again? I was in court in Baron's Court this morning and I had to fight the Stella Artois crowds from the Queen's Club. Lot's of ladies in comfortable shoes.

If you want to know anything more about the area - fire away.
Jun 12th, 2007, 05:50 AM

Just how much revenue does this little "bad dream' bring in, anyway?
Jun 12th, 2007, 06:09 AM

God knows - loads I assume. But for those of us who live there it's a royal pain in the arse. Southfields is tiny and simply can't cope with the crowds.

Some people rent out their houses but I've never been organised enough to do it.
Jun 12th, 2007, 06:12 AM

Hmmmm...I can imagine and you probably can't even get tickets!

I know that some of the so-called "major" players rent nearby houses rather than staying in hotels.

Although watching it all on TV is hassle-free the idea of actually attending seems appealing somehow...until you realize the planning that might be involved and only to possibly get rained on!
Jun 12th, 2007, 06:19 AM

We can get tickets - but I don't like tennis (and we can't pass them on to friends).

Maybe one day I'll wander over the road and see what the fuss is about......
Jun 12th, 2007, 10:06 AM

You'd probably get a better view on TV anyway - and the strawberries would be cheaper.