Sunday in Germany

Search

Sunday in Germany

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunday in Germany

I'm planning my Germany vacation and have learned many businesses in Germany are closed on Sunday.

I will be in Berlin and was planning to depart Berlin by train for Munich on Saturday, May 3. Will there be enough museums and other things of interest open on Sunday in Munich to keep a couple busy? Or should I consider staying an extra day in Berlin and spending Sunday on the train? Is train travel more or less busy on Sunday on this route?

My goal is to maximize time in these cities. What do you suggest?
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 11:41 PM

Well, I hope you're planning to explore Berlin! Visit the Mittle & Tiergarten areas and its famous landmarks, Don't miss "The Field of Stelae" by Peter Eisenman and the Jewish Museum! Ah! Catch the bus 100 at Alexanderplatz to its final stop at the Zoo area because you will pass by many of the famous landmarks. Sit upstairs and have your camera ready! Feel free to get off anywhere and catch the next bus. This bus has a circular route so you'll be able to return to the stop you start the trip.Make sure to buy Day Pass sold by the driver or at any machine at the train/subway station. If you're traveling together with another person by the family card (Keep in mind: the pass is good after 9 AM... also that the trains run exactly on time... if it's schedule to depart at 11: 03 AM... it's not going to be 11:05, trust me: be on board not later then 11 AM... Germans are proud to run their train schedule on time! ) Although is not clear when exactly you arrive in Berlin or how many days you will be staying in Munich, I thin you should be aware that May 1st is the Labor Day holiday all over in Europe. Therefore, it'll be a long weekend where many people will be going away. I suggest you make seat reservation in spite of which day you choose to go on that weekend because chances are the trains will be full. Some of the trains to Munich via Berlin come already full from Hamburg and the route includes major cities like Leipzig & Nürnberg, so it's worth to make a seat reservation (it cost less than $10 but guarantee your seat through the entire journey... do it at least 2 days before at the train station make sure to request non smoking because many Europeans smoke self rolled cigarettes that can be an unpleasant smell to most Americans) I don't meant to sound to cocky, but l lived in Germany and go there often so I kind of know when to book a seat or not, but when you're not familiar with the train schedule and probably with language limitations it's safe to prevent any sort of inconvenience. but if in case the train seats are already taken don't despair! Decide the train that better suits you and get on it! Instead of go crazy trying to find an empty seat, go to the restaurant car and sit in the cafe area and order small things through out the journey to guarantee your table. Place your bags in the shelves by the door! (No worries... it's quiet safe!) Another thing if in case you decide to get on the train without seat reservation look above the seats to see if there is a reservation placed to it, if not it means it's free! Don't hesitate to ask the person(s) sharing the area if the seats are free prior to take it, many people leave to grab a coffee or else and in Europe it's polite to ask anyway... the same at restaurants or cafes no need to stand and wait for a table... approach the person and ask if they mind sharing the table. It's also a nice way to make new acquaintances and get tips from the natives.
By the way the train journey takes about 6 hours & the museums are open daily but they close at 5 PM sharp! So, I'd suggest you to leave Berlin on Saturday early afternoon to arrive in München by early evening so that you can reach your hotel at a good time and still be able to stroll Gärtnerplatz, Marienplatz or other busy area near your hotel. On sunday try to get up early to explore Viktualienmarkt and later make a museum visit... or if you feel adventurous pack a picnic and go on a short trip to Starnbergersee (Starnberg lake), unlike over here you will be able to find a nice spot and undress to your swim trunks and cool off in clear water or simply people watching while drinking beer or coffee at one of many garden cafes along the lake. It's easy to access this place via S-Bahn trains. End the day at Tambosi Cafe! Make sure to have a meal at the upstairs tables and return during the day to watch the crowd at an outside table (Yep! It's my favorite spot in Munich!)
Depending of how long you plan on staying in any of these cities, check out the walking tours suggested in the Fodor's book before getting to your destination to have an idea of what to do & go to better plan your day. While in Berlin, consider a day trip to Leipzig, and while in Munich make a day trip to Nüremberg. Both cities are easy to walk from their main train station following the Fodor's map guide, included.
All train stations have lockers where you can place your luggage for up to 72 hs... so if at times you must check out the hotel but want to sightsee before catching a late train, feed the machine with the exact amount and retrieve the key or card provided. it's a great way to avoid running around with luggage. Give yourself a half hour at least to retrieve your bags and find the train platform without stress!
I hope my tips will be useful to you! Any question feel free to contact me at [email protected]
Bon voyage! ;-)
Carlos
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 01:43 AM

Some additions and corrections:

All trains are (now) 100% non-smoking in Germany.
Unfortunately, trains are far from being super-punctual -- except for the ones you are late and running for ;-)

On Sundays: all museums/ attractions are open, all stores are closed (except for a handful of stores in the train stations).

Munich's museums, churches, and palaces will keep you busy for more than one day, so you probably want to make Sunday your "museum day" anyway. On sundays Munich's "Pinakotheken" art museums can be visited almost for free (€1 fee).

As Carlos wrote, May 1-4 will see lots of travels, since May 1st is a public holiday. So traveling on Saturday may be wiser than on Sunday, since Sunday trains will be more packed with travellers returning from an extended weekend break in Berlin. But reservations are a good idea also on that Saturday.

For daytrips from Munich, I personally prefer a trip south to the mountains (e.g. Mittenwald), or to neighboring Augsburg, or to Salzburg over a trip to Nürnberg.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 01:50 AM

All museums and tourist and attractions are open on Sunday. The great art museums are open until 18:00 but closed on Monday. The Deutsches Museum (Science and Technology Museum) closes at 17:00 but stays open on Monday.

So make your plans according to opening hours. Check www.muenchen.de
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

What do you think of the Sunday overnight train from Berlin to Munich?

For 1st class, when I select the link it states: "there are no sleeper accommodations that match your request of 2 passengers. We urge you to request 2 passenger in a Single compartment."

If you have traveled this, I'd like to hear about it. Any idea how much more I might expect to pay in addition to a rail pass?

What is the difference with the trains via raileurope.com and bahn.de?
Thanks.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Oh yes, I'm planning some time in Berlin. I'm arriving in Berlin Wednesday afternoon so I'm worried that leaving Saturday afternoon might cut us short. I want to see the highlights because I plan to come back.

Please, I would like to know how the Sunday night train to Munich might be after a holiday? I would think local vacationers would be less likely to want these hours if Monday is a workday, but I could be wrong. I could conceivably push my departure to Monday morning, but that hasn't been the plan so far.

Old Mar 18th, 2008, 01:59 PM

Sorry, can't help with the sleeper trains. Always taking the plane.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 02:02 PM

> I would think local vacationers would be less likely to want these hours if Monday is a workday, but I could be wrong.

I don't think vacationers have anything to do with it - I would say it's more for people who work in Munich but with families in/around Berlin.

>What is the difference with the trains via raileurope.com and bahn.de?

The difference is that you pay for the exactly same ticket far more at RailEurope than on bahn.de
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 04:51 PM

Sunday is a quiet dat day in Germany. A time to relax, a little introspection, enjoy a a coffee, a nice walk or friends. CCD.... has some good thoughts for Sunday in Munich!!
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 04:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Taylor1; Try this web site for good information on Germany. gemut.com ENJOY Iris