Sunday Dinner in Paris

Sep 14th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Rich

Sunday Dinner in Paris

Does anyone have a recommendation for a Sunday dinner in Paris? It will be my 50th birthday so we're looking for someplace very special. Unfortunately, most restaurants are closed on Sundays so the selection is limited. We tried L'Astrance but they were booked a month in advance (and only take reservations a month in advance). We now have a lunch reservation at Le Pre Catalan. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sep 14th, 2002, 11:59 AM
kate

Rich,
where will you be staying, or will you go anywhere in the city? I never remember it being hard to find a place on Sundays, so I will be happy to give you my list of restaurants.
kate

Sep 14th, 2002, 12:13 PM
DontForgetTo

Whoa! You're having lunch at Pre Catalan and looking for another very special place for dinner? Isn't that a bit gluttonous? How will you eat it all?

Sep 14th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Fred

'Tis true - a large number of Paris restaurants are closed on Sunday. However, there are some upper echelon places open Sunday. Le Bristol in the Bristol Hotel, La Tour d'Argent, Jules Verne, Le Regence to name a few. For more Paris information e-mail me: [email protected]

Sep 14th, 2002, 12:54 PM
Julie

Among the Michelin starred biggies, both Pierre Gagnair in the 8th and Tour d'Argent in the 5th are open for Sunday dinner, though likely booked, but you could try for a cancellation. Others that might meet your definition of special are Dome in the 14th (seafood), and Fermette Marbeuf in the 8th--beautiful art nouveau interior. If you don't mind taking the RER for a bit of a ride, the other possibility I'd recommend is Cazaudehore La Forestiere, in St. Germain en Laye. The dining room is lovely and the food is very good. It's a hotel/resort in the forest of St. Germain en Laye belonging to the Relais Chateau association. You'd have to take a taxi a couple of miles from the RER station exit. It would be very relaxing and romantic.

Sep 14th, 2002, 02:34 PM
JOdy

We always do Le Bookinistes on a Sunday night..they have a set price menu then..Guy savoy is a wonderful Michelin starred chef and this is his lower priced but not lower quality bistros...

If I were going to Pre catalan for lunch I'm not sure I would need much dinner!

Sep 14th, 2002, 03:52 PM
Howard

I strongly recommend Toutoune, 5 Rue de Pontoise in the 5th. We selected it for our final Paris meal at the end of our two-week stay. I know it's open on Sunday, because that's when we went. If you go, make sure have an aperitif from its special drink menu!
Check out its website:
http://www,paris-hotel.com/TOUTOUNE

Sep 15th, 2002, 01:57 AM
Julie

I agree with the recommendation re: Chez Toutonne. It's very colorful (Provence themed) and quite romantic. They serve only Prix Fixe menus, no ala carte. Quite reasonable. Very nice. I'd be happy to do a 50th birthday there--if I could have another.

Sep 15th, 2002, 08:48 AM
Donna

You will be thrilled with celebrating your birthday at Le Pre Catalan for Sunday lunch. The multi-course repast over several hours, will be special and satisfying enough. You won't need or want "dinner". Spend the evening on a boat cruise, strolling the Seine, have a nightcap on a fabulous cafe/restaurant terrace (Chez Francis is terrific with the Tour Eiffel in the background). If you get hungry later on, you can always order something light.

Sep 15th, 2002, 08:52 AM
bonjour

Agree totally with Donna!! Pre Catalan is absolutely fabulous and beautiful. The food and service are superb--I don't think you could make a better choice! Also agree that you probably won't want to eat again that night. Enjoy your wonderful celebration!

Sep 15th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Paris Fan

Hate to be redundant but Donna is "spot on". After the luncheon, you will just want to stroll and look at the sights. Don't know when you are going but it will be getting darker earlier and I would walk near the Seine and watch the lights come on (a cruise is a great idea). Stand on the Pont des Arts and take in the beautiful scene before you. Doesn't get much better than that! Bon anniversaire!!

Sep 16th, 2002, 09:37 AM
TC

Just back from Paris. We enjoyed a wonderful sunday night at Le Reminet. While not one of the big name establishments, it has loads of charm and great food. In the 5th, 3 rue des Grands-Degres, 01-44-07-04-24. Had no problem making a reservation the day before.

Sep 16th, 2002, 10:41 AM
Teresa

I was also going to recommend you the Pre Catelan! Wonderful food, exceptional service, wonderful service. My favorite in Paris. You will love it.
I also like Le Dome (have a bouilabaisse) and if the Cafe de la Paix is already opened (it has been closed on renovations)go there and have a seafood pyramid! Great!
Enjoy the Pre Catelan, I already miss it

Sep 17th, 2002, 03:10 PM
Lisa

We just got back last week, and had an amazing meal at Ze Kitchen Galerie in the 6th on rue des Grands Augustins (not the major boulevard, but a street off of that) 0144320032 tel#
Very modern and excellent cuisine, the taste ws nothing like we've experienced, THIS is what you come to Paris for.

Sep 17th, 2002, 03:23 PM
Wendy

Rich are you saying that you have the lunch reservation in case you can't get an upscale dinner reservation? That makes more sense to me than having 2 huge meals in a day.

Sep 18th, 2002, 10:35 PM
de polignac

chere madam,why spend so much money in those restaurant were one always feels like a purse of money,no,i would recommend a proper decent restaurant,"la mascotte"270 rue du faubourg st honore paris 8,0142277526,now that's not a place where youll be taken for an idiotic american loaded with money,you ll eat amazingly well,and pay a normal price

Nov 3rd, 2002, 02:08 PM
Mary Susan

A question for those of you who have been to Pre Catalan... am considering having Sunday brunch there on a trip in late November, but I have to say I was a bit daunted by the comment about it taking several hours. I am certainly not interested in fast food, but I am probably more interested in a nice brunch and then the day to stroll or bike ride on the Seine. Any thoughts? What is the approximate cost (range) for brunch?

Thanks to all.