Search

Paris Restaurant for 30th Wedding Anniversary this sunday

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Restaurant for 30th Wedding Anniversary this sunday

Hi Everyone

I've been to Paris quite a few times and never reserved a restaurant, I guess just took what I felt seemed ok.

We are heading to celebrate our 30th anniversary with our 3 kids who are 20-25yrs.

We do love our food and are quite adventurous. Budget €30-€50pp. French or European cuisine. Not interested in stuffy places or dressing up.

Looking for a restaurant on Sunday 29 August either for lunch (we won't be available until about 2PM and I'm worried that is too late) or maybe better Sunday night.

A few questions.
If we go some where but don't reserve I guess we need to be at the door by 7Pm to get a table.
Are most restaurants open Sunday night or should we go out on the Saturday night instead?

We are staying in the Marais but anywhere central is ok.

Thank you for your help.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 02:44 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Many restaurants are not open Sunday night.

In the Marais I really like Le Pamphlet, which is a good value for excellent cooking and not at all stuffy. But I believe it is not open Sundays.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 02:49 PM

Don't know about Sunday opening or not, but Le Train Bleu and Bofinger might work. In the Marais, La Guirlande de Julie on the Place des Vosges.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 03:15 PM

Congratulations! My husband and I have been very blessed to celebrate our 30th in Paris also.
From our previous visits to Paris, we have found that many restaurants are not open on Sunday nights. Although the Marais is one of the very few areas with their boutiques and cafes open on a Sunday afternoon, but I am not sure about Sunday night.
However......for your celebration, I would recommend LaTable Joel Robuchon not far from the Arc de Triomphe. He is considered one of the finest, most respected chefs in Paris.
We have had the pleasure of dining there for our special occasion and have been provided not only with excellent service in a very tasteful, elegant atmosphere, but with one of the best meals in Paris. There is a small, ecletic menu from which to choose, and his signature dish of mashed potatoes is pure bliss!!!!! You will also want to leave room for the desserts, which are not only delicious, but pure works of art. Comparatively, I have found the prices reasonable considering the type of offerings provided. And it is your anniversary!!!!!
I sincerely believe that you will enjoy my suggestion.

Bon Voyage and Bon Chance
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 04:52 PM

I second La Table de Joel Robuchon. The food is sublime. Probably the best we had in Paris (we were there June). It is not, IMHO, romantic though. Everyone has a bar seat and you are able to watch your food being prepared. The service was fun and energetic. The seating makes for a very social atmosphere. We met a couple from Texas who knew mutual friends! Small world.
They only take reservations for 6:45PM and on our visit the place was totally packed. People then wait in line for tables opening around 10PM. Open every day, year round. I dream about the mashed potatoes.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 05:02 PM

Can the OP eat at La Table de Joel Robuchon for his stated budget? I'm guessing not.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 08:38 PM

Bookmarking because we will be one the exact same situation next May...but the kids will be home.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 09:09 PM

There's a recipe (more like a procedure) from Joel Robuchon, himself, in several of Patricia Wells' books. But, I think it's the French butter (more butter than potato) that makes them so addictive. My husband actually packed the leftover butter from an apartment stay (which arrived perfectly) so I could make those potatoes one more time.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 10:40 PM

There's no way the OP's budget will work at La Table de Joel Robuchon unless it is for main only and not other courses or wine.
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 12:09 AM

I think that Le Grand Colbert is a beautiful place to celebrate your anniversary. The decor and atmosphere are very nice and will have an unforgettable experience.
It is near Louvre and Comedie Francaise.
Please look at the images http://www.legrandcolbert.fr
The price is in the range of your budget.
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 12:48 AM

We have spent our last 5 anniversaries in Paris. We too like lePamphlet but don't know about Sundays. We will probably spend our 49th this Oct at Le Reminet, and it is open Sundays . You may need a reservation. We always make one . you can do it online
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 02:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

Joel Robuchon sounds very nice but its above my budget (x5) and we would much prefer a table to sit round as it is very much a family occasion.

The Tren Bleu is a beautiful location but has had some very poor food reviews (we go for food rather than decor).
Le Pamphlet isn't open Sunday but maybe would be good for the Saturday night (but unfortunately one of my kids wouldn't be available on Saturday so I'm trying to arrange for Sunday).

Le Grand Colbert is open and has got good reviews for decor/atmosphere and ok food. Maybe consider this one.

Le Reminet this looks our best bet if we can get a table.

We are also looking for somewhere on friday and saturday nights. Not too dear, no tourists , great food, quirky decor, great atmosphere, fixed menu price about €20-25. Is this too much to ask? ;-)

Thank you again.
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 03:50 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
A La Biche Au Bois, 45 avenue Ledru-Rollin, near the Gare de Lyon. Last November there was a 26 euro menu that included an appetizer, main course, cheese course, and dessert. Very small and popular, reservations required. One specialty is game. It is possible they are closed Saturday and Sunday, if I recall, so maybe you would need to go there Friday night. I can't guarantee there will be no tourists (I was there), but it seemed popular among locals.
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 04:20 AM

The food at Le Train Bleu, whereas not especially innovative, is not "very poor".
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 05:02 AM

I think La Florimond just near the Ecole Militaire metro would be perfect. Why? Because it is where we celebrated a significant birthday and 40th anniversary with ALL of our adult children!
I am fairly sure it is open on Sunday night but you can check. Sunday night may be a more difficult night for dinner, but there are plenty of places open.
This is a very small restaurant with chef/owner in the kitchen. It is a special place. Their formule is 35E, I think, and additional a la carte.
19 Av. Lamotte Picquet Metro Ecole Militaire
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 06:55 AM

Florimond is closed on Sundays; they are open for dinner on Sat. Must reserve, however. Petit Bofinger would work.
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 07:05 AM

Chez Francis, website takes Sunday reservations. In your $$ range.

Look at their home page, you may like the view

http://www.chezfrancis-restaurant.com/
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 08:13 AM

I like Glou on on Rue Vieille du Temple in the 3rd. It is around your price range, maybe a tad above, and focuses on sustainable and local well prepared foods. Has a very nice wine list that is comprised mostly of vins naturel. Is open on Sunday and tables are such that you can seat a larger party. The atmosphere is modern and low key. I don't think you will have to get a 7pm res to eat there unless things have changed since January, you should be able to eat at a normal hour. I have been seated at 9pm with no reservation FWIW.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 11:11 AM

A good and very cute place open on Sundays--but make reservations--is Fontaine de Mars on rue St. Dominque. It is all a la carte, so you may have to "calculate" to your budget. Don't wait too long to make reservations anywhere for Sunday evenings.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 11:12 AM

Just an FYI, many places are not even open at 7PM for dinner service--the wait staff is eating their dinner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -