Sunday at Versailles

Apr 5th, 2007, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Sunday at Versailles

I was really looking forward to spending all day Sunday May 20th at Versailles. I had planned to purchase the forfait loisirs and get there really early. I know the fountains are only open on the weekends and walking the gardens is the top thing on my list to see while in Paris.

Now I find out that my husband's old boss who lives in London is coming to Paris for the weekend to see us, so we will be spending Saturday evening and Sunday morning with him and his family before they leave for London around 4 p.m.

I was kind of bummed my Sunday's plan wouldn't occur, but my hubby suggested we tell his old boss we have until noon and then will catch a train to Versailles and spend the rest of the day there. So, do you think that's worth it? I'd still get the forfait loisirs so we should be able to bypass any lines. Do the fountains operate all day on Sunday or just certain times? I don't want to get there too late to find out they are not on anymore.

Thanks.
Apr 5th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

I meant to say walking the gardens of Versailles is *one* of the top things on my list to see while in Paris, not *the* top thing.
Apr 5th, 2007, 07:23 AM

You should check the programme (Grandes eaux) on the chateau website :www.chateauversailles.fr/en.

The fountains do not run all day. Typically they turn on some fountains on the main axis (grande perspective) around 11 a.m. for about an hour. They turn on the whole system again, including the fountains inside the groves, which you have to see, at around 3 p.m. until 4:30. Then you can see the (short) final of the grandes eaux at the Neptune pond (bassin de Neptune) around 5 pm.

This is due to the fact that water is in short supply as the whole thing still works as 300 years ago, with only gravity providing the necessary pressure. Once the water reservoirs are empty, the show is over.

This means you'll have to be at Versailles fairly early in the afternoon, having in mind the possible lines at the entrance of the garden.

The Sunday afternoons are the busiest times at Versailles. Leave some time to visit the grounds in the late afternoon, after the show, as crowds get thinner and the light better as the day wears on. The late afternoon, early evening can be magical in the gardens of Versailles, as the chateau facade glows in the setting sun... now I'll stop as I am getting lyrical...
Apr 5th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Trudaine. After I went to the website, I saw this other website:
http://www.chateauversaillesspectacles.fr/
but of course it's all in French.
I will work on translating it tonight, but I can pretty much gather it is as you said, and we should be able to see the 3:30 - 5:00 Grande Eaux Musicales. How exciting!!