Summer in Europe

Oct 5th, 2015, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Summer in Europe

Our daughter will be traveling to Milan, Italy this Summer. We would like to meet her and travel for at least 10 days around June 15th. We wanted to know if there is some ideas of a route through Europe? Any suggestions as to cities we should try to see, in what order, how long? Suggested must sees, Hotel recommendations, etc.
Oct 5th, 2015, 01:56 PM

>> We wanted to know if there is some ideas of a route through Europe? Any suggestions as to cities we should try to see, in what order, how long? Suggested must sees, Hotel recommendations, etc.<<

1) Europe is a very, VERY big place - w/ hundreds of places you could go. You need to narrow things down just a little if you want useful advice.

and 2) you've tagged this for Cyprus - is that where you want to go?
Oct 5th, 2015, 02:06 PM

In 10 days you can visit two or three places. Start by figuring out where you want to go. Only you can tell us what you want to do/see/experience.
Oct 5th, 2015, 03:44 PM

Milan is a good starting point for both trains and planes. If you rent a car there, however, it's best to either stay in Italy or bring it back to Milan, which will limit your explorations.

There are scenic train routes up through Switzerland that might be a very exciting way to travel, and then you could go on to Paris or even Amsterdam or Cologne, depending on how fast you want to go.

Or you could hop a cheap flight to Amsterdam in Milan and work your way back south on the trains, maybe Paris and Venice? I don't think it matter much which order you go.

But if you are starting in Milan, there are loads of possibilities in June. But it is easier if you don't take too many flights.
Oct 5th, 2015, 03:48 PM

In 10 days I would do no more than 2 places since it sounds like you will be staying at least a day in Milan.

For us to help you we need to understand at least a little about your interests. When you think if europe what do you envision - beach, mountain, city, castle, cathedral, fine dining or???

For hotel recommendations, besides picking some specific places we need to do know your nightly budget in euros.
Oct 5th, 2015, 05:24 PM

It would also be of help if you included some information about yourself and family. Your profile does not have anything, not even what country you are from. Not being nosy, but it would help if we are to give you information that might be useful to you.
Oct 5th, 2015, 10:40 PM

The "Milan, Italy" is a dead give away.
Oct 5th, 2015, 10:44 PM

a dead give away of what?

Any more of a give away than the Cypress bit . . .
Oct 6th, 2015, 12:45 AM

Why the urge to get away? What's wrong with staying in Northern Italy? A lot of things to keep you more than busy for those ten days. Mountains and lakes to the north, elegant Turin (Torino) and intriguing Genua (Genova) around the corner. A little bit to the south-east you've got a series of interesting historical cities in Emilia Romagna, among which Bologna and Ravenna. A little bit further south you've got Tuscany, for most people high on their agenda. And then I haven't mentioned Verona, Vicenza, Padova and Venice...
Oct 6th, 2015, 01:15 AM

Three towns to stay in, use the train to get around

Milan
Venice three or more nights
Pisa base but catch commuter train to Lucca and Florence for the rest

all by train
Oct 6th, 2015, 03:04 AM

janisj, I think dfourh meant that the way Milan, Italy is expressed, it's a typically US way of doing so. Most US posters add the country on to the end of the place name, like Paris, France, rather than Paris, Texas?
Oct 6th, 2015, 05:16 AM

Yup. We don't do that but I picked up the habbit.
I think on such a forum I would write like that.
Paris, France. Waterloo, Belgium.
No Texas and no Ontario ...